HELP: No display on monitor for desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
i believe ya;
so I am gonna connect it in a few and post back.
hey do I have to set laptop's resolution to the external monitor's native resolution first? (1280 x 1024)

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
laptop can only use a CRT monitor as an external monitor; no LCDs.

I don't see why that would be the case. The signal being sent over a VGA cable will be the same, regardless if it's a CRT or LCD.

Tried it: Nada.
frown.gif

I just need to find a different monitor and a cable to see where the prob is..

however now the text on my LAPTOP is all blurry and very "thin". what's up with that?

I wonder if the laptop set itself to the same "native" resolution as the LCD (perhaps the laptop defaults to "mirror" mode, rather than extending or spanning your Desktop area across two screens), and now the aspect ratio or outright size is not right for the laptop's LCD... I'd just right click on the Desktop and reset the screen size, font anti-aliasing (Clear Type, likely), perhaps the refresh rate and color depth, if that amount of tweaking has become necessary... I'd have thought the laptop would reset itself after the disconnection of the external LCD, but obviously something has buggered itself... Being a Windows box, a restart might cure your new laptop ills.

Probably the res is screwed on the laptop. How did you hook up the external monitor? Hooked it up with the lappy on or off?

the laptop never changed it's res. i checked.
i just restarted the laptop and now everything looks normal again.

I connected with the laptop on.

However, I just connected the ipod to the laptop and looks like it's letting us authorize the laptop to the ipod mini, so that solves the problem...and that was the only reason I needed the desktop....

Thanks for the help, guys.
I WILL find a different monitor/cable and let you guys know what went on, and if i ever got the desktop to work.

BTW, this is what I am doing right now:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202
and it is taking forever to change from auto manual, I did the last step and the ipod is displaying "do not disconnect" for about 4 min now...

Last edited:
I'll try that sometime again...thanks, man.

it finally looks like i got the ipod to be authorized with my laptop and adding some new songs right now.....

it finally looks like i got the ipod to be authorized with my laptop and adding some new songs right now.....

Are you still using iTunes? I switched to Floola long time ago - none of that getting "authorized" nonsense when using mutliple PCs.

nothing happened.
only thing that has changed is now it is saying optimum mode is "1024x768"
I'm p*$*&$d...

the main reason I wanted to do this was to get some new songs on to my wife's old ipod mini. and the desktop was the pc where that ipod was "authorized"!
I don't know if I can authorize the ipod mini to a NEW computer or not..i've forgotten the limit...
anyway now I can't get into that desktop, Idk what to do....when wifey comes home i'm gonna try connecting the ipod to my laptop and see what it says..

i think you get 5 machine authorisations IIRC

yeah, thanks. for some reason I thought it was 2.
the ipod mini worked fine with my laptop, so no need for the desktop right now...

QP: I am checking floola out. thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back