hard drive bad sectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct... When you start seeing Bad Sectors show up in your SCAN/CHKDSK's your drive is
37.gif
Caput

set s.m.a.r.t. monitoring in the bios to on if your system can do it.
it may give you an early warning to a drive failure.
utils such as speedfan can not only display this smart data but in the case of speedfan can send you to a site with statistics on your drive and compare yours to their database.none of this is a substitute for proper backups though.
i give this advice to my customers and they still come in with dead drives needing recovery work.this is something i dont do on the cheap.its funny that a backup system is "not in the budget"
but an oh sh!t!!! emergency data recovery is!

That's 'cos their reactive instead of proactive...
grin2.gif
They don't realize it prob. costs them 2x or 3x as much doing it this way...

Originally Posted By: kc8adu

Cisco uses laptop hard drives on their IPS (intrusion prevention system) blades (these are installed in a Catalyst switch chassis). Stupid idea--the drives are starting to fail and we've had to replace about 5 of them so far. (That's out of a total of 20 IPS blades, 8 of which were deployed less than two years ago).

They didn't even bother to add a SMART monitoring function so the IPS could hopefully tell us that it was going to die before it actually does.

Cisco...let's build a $20k IDS blade (yes they actually cost that much--the IDSM-2) and make it critically dependent upon a $50 laptop hard drive.

What [censored].

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: kc8adu

Cisco uses laptop hard drives on their IPS (intrusion prevention system) blades (these are installed in a Catalyst switch chassis). Stupid idea--the drives are starting to fail and we've had to replace about 5 of them so far. (That's out of a total of 20 IPS blades, 8 of which were deployed less than two years ago).

They didn't even bother to add a SMART monitoring function so the IPS could hopefully tell us that it was going to die before it actually does.

Cisco...let's build a $20k IDS blade (yes they actually cost that much--the IDSM-2) and make it critically dependent upon a $50 laptop hard drive.

What [censored].

That sounds like a cost-cutting measure for sure!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
If they were smart they would use flash-memory with a fast read/write time... ***? is right.

As far as I can tell the IPS stores events on a ramdisk (until they can be sent to the security information manager), so the hard drive isn't written to all that often.

There IS a 128MB flash memory card in the system...apparently this can be used to recover the hard drive if it's corrupted (or maybe if it's replaced with a new one--I don't think Cisco wants customers replacing the drive though). It obviously isn't going to help one bit in the case of a failed drive.

I don't understand why they didn't just use the 128MB flash memory card for everything, and leave the laptop hard drive out.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

That sounds like a cost-cutting measure for sure!

It has been my observation that, products such as these, intended for high-dollar corporate and government accounts, are usually not worth the money they cost, of poor quality and with poor support.

That is usually because in the corporate and government environment, the person spending the money isn't spending their own money and won't have to deal with the shortcomings of the product anyway...so they don't care.

Well I decided to get a new hard drive instead. I got myself a Hitachi 7K1000 1TB (one of the first TB drives released in the market) for $89.99 after rebate. Hard drives now are so dirt cheap! TB drives used to be $500 several years back. It will be used for recorded TV storage and personal files.

As for the two Seagates, I'll use them for temporary OS installs, maybe like a sandbox to test out questionable software.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: StevieC
If they were smart they would use flash-memory with a fast read/write time... ***? is right.

As far as I can tell the IPS stores events on a ramdisk (until they can be sent to the security information manager), so the hard drive isn't written to all that often.

There IS a 128MB flash memory card in the system...apparently this can be used to recover the hard drive if it's corrupted (or maybe if it's replaced with a new one--I don't think Cisco wants customers replacing the drive though). It obviously isn't going to help one bit in the case of a failed drive.

I don't understand why they didn't just use the 128MB flash memory card for everything, and leave the laptop hard drive out.

Agreed. Use Flash-memory for everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back