Firestone WinterForce -Opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the WinterForce studless tires for my 95 bmw 525i in stock 205x65x15 size. Also Blizzak ws60, also studless.

Opinion? I may install tommorrow. TIA.

I have the winterforce on two vehicles, a civic and a cr-v. They are very good, noisy on my cr-v not so much noise on the civic.
My wife loves them. We are having a storm today and she drove her civic up some fairly steep unplowed roads today with no problems.
I use the cr-v for rural mail delivery, been doing it for over twenty years, and i think the winterforce provide the best traction i have had. Plus they are priced way less than most snowtires.

We have them on a Civic and a 2WD Suburban. Big difference for both vehicles, although the tires are studded on the 'Burb. Both vehicles are louder on the highway, but the Civic isn't too bad. Most of the noise on the 'Burb is probably from the studs. We live out in the country, on a hill, and our road is snow packed and slippery all winter. So far we've had 3 times the snow we normally have this time of year and both vehicles have done well.

There aren't too many tires that offer this level of bang for the buck.

Last edited:
If you mostly drive on packed snow or icy roads, then the Blizzaks will be better. If your winter driving is mostly slush or unplowed snow, then the Winterforce's will be better.

Originally Posted By: lyle
If you mostly drive on packed snow or icy roads, then the Blizzaks will be better. If your winter driving is mostly slush or unplowed snow, then the Winterforce's will be better.

I agree. I bought the Winterforce tires today. 4 for $408.76 on the road. Most of my winter driving (central KY) will be dealing with freeze/thaw cycle over and over. So a lot of slush/fresh snow. However, there will be some ice and possilby sleet/icy rain.

I have Firestone Winterfires (the predecessor of the Winterforce)on a Mazda Protege. Now in my seventh winter on the same set. Tread depth is 10/32" compared to 13/32" when I bought them in 2002. No deterioration in performance yet. Also, they are not squirmy on dry roads like some winter tires are. How many sets of Blizzaks would I have used up over the same number of winters?

Originally Posted By: frankm
I have Firestone Winterfires (the predecessor of the Winterforce)on a Mazda Protege. Now in my seventh winter on the same set. Tread depth is 10/32" compared to 13/32" when I bought them in 2002. No deterioration in performance yet. Also, they are not squirmy on dry roads like some winter tires are. How many sets of Blizzaks would I have used up over the same number of winters?

I am surprised how well they ride and handle. Also the road noise is less than I expected.

Winterforce is an old school design from the 1990s, whereas the WS60 reflects the latest technology. But the price on the Winterforce is very attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back