235s on a Jeep Cherokee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a chance to get a good deal on some tires. But the catch is that they're 235/75/15s. My 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD (part time) calls for 215s. Right now I've got 225s on it.

I understand moving up 1 size is no big deal. But how about going froma 215 to a 235? Has anyone used this size tire on this application?

Thanks for any feedback or advice.

-Scott

Compare the size requires on the sticker of your driver's door jamb to the size you want to install by using this calculator.

Tire Size Calculator

It will give you an idea of how much of a difference you are going to see.

Your speedometer will read lower then your actual speed by probably 3-5 mph at 75 mph (ie. if you're speedo says 75, you're likely going 78-80 mph), but other then that, no problem at all. In fact, you may even see a slight increase in fuel mileage since your overall final drive ratio will be a tad lower "if" you remember to cut a few mph off your speedometer the faster you go.

Drew and Eddie are both right.

Plus You'll be raising your center of gravity,,,making roll-over easier.

If you drive like an old gramps,,likely you'll be perfectly ok. If you push the limits, both speed limits, and cornering,,this much increase will likely bite you on the arse!

Bob

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Compare the size requires on the sticker of your driver's door jamb to the size you want to install by using this calculator.

Tire Size Calculator

It will give you an idea of how much of a difference you are going to see.

That a neat calculator. First time I've seen that. Had to bookmark that as one of my favorites.

no big deal.just drive like you have some sense and you will have no problem.in addition your ride will be a bit smoother.

You should be just fine. The 235/75/15 are a very popular size on stock (unlifted) XJ's. You may rub slightly on full lock turns, but you can adjust the stops to prevent any issues there. This would be less than a 1/2" larger in diameter than the largest stock size put on the XJ.

My '88 XJ came stock with P205/75/15 all season tires. It is currently riding on P225/75/15 Bridgestone Dueler D695s. It looks better, rides better, and is more sure footed than before with the larger tires. It does feel slightly more sluggish of the line, but is certainly not underpowered! (Thank You 4.0!)

For comparison sake, my Rodeo came with 225/75 R16's from the factory, I never could find GOOD A/T tires in that size that didn't come in a 10-ply, so we opted for 245/75's, truck actually looked MUCH better and road a lot better too.

In the last 5yrs, and 2 sets of tires, we are now running 265/75's, so we've gone from 29" tires to 32" tires on this truck, and I love it, it is so much more stable, has more ground clearance, and is no more top heavy then it already was, and we have been known to load the luggage rack up pretty heavily.

Rodeo004.jpg

My Cherokee came with 215/75R15's, and I ran 235/75R15 from 20,000 miles on. They never rubbed; even when the suspension was flexed. Speedometer was slightly affected, but if that bothers you, Jeep sells different speedometer pinions that you can compensate with.

I'm running 235's on my 2001 Cherokee Sport. It actually corrected the speedo to be exactly at the right speed (confirmed with 2 different GPSs), and hasn't affected the ride or handling at all. It did open up a lot more choices in tires.

Oh, while the door sticker says 215 on mine, it came from the factory with 225's on it.

I just put 235/75-15 on my friend's 4-Runner today. It's a non-stock size he already uses. btw- are the tires you are looking at Goodyear Wranglers? That seems to be the hot-potato tire all the shops are pushing, $85 installed.

We got $100 Destination LEs, a HWY tire. Rated well at TR and at CR. Those Wranglers scare me. TR has some AVON Rangers for $68+ sh, highly rated. The Hankooks are nice too, but a lil more money.

Ive got a '97 Cherokee with 30x9.50x15 BFG all terrains.

It's got the "upcountry" suspention (factory 1" lift?) but stock other than that.

It's whatever fits IMO.

Ive got a '90 Bronco2 that specs 195-75-15 on the door tag.
Its got 235-75-15's and has room for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back