Tire Recommendations for a Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some tire recommendations for a 2006 Corolla LE, tire size is P195/65R15. The new Michelin Primacy MXV4 is my top choice due to its balance of good and decent treadlife, but I'm not sure if my friend would like to spend that much so I'm looking into alternatives.

I'd like to get a tire that has excellent wet and dry traction, as well as good handling. Handling is important with the windy roads here. There's no snow or ice in this area, so performance in those two areas are not of any concern.

I'm willing to trade off some treadlife for better grip and handling. The current tires, Bridgestone Insignia SE200s, are lasting over 50,000 miles on this car with regular rotations. I would guess that if this tire carried a treadwear warranty, it would probably be a 45,000 mile tire. Basically, treadlife is important, but it is not my main concern.

With that said, the other contenders on the list are the new Goodyear Eagle GT and the new Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid. Between the two, the Eagle GT seems to be the better bang for the buck considering that it delivers better performance without sacrificing treadlife. (Both tires have a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty)

Which of the two tires would you folks recommend? Is the Eagle GT good enough, or should I spring the extra $35 per tire for the Primacy MXV4? The out-the-door price for the Eagle GT is about $418 (with Tire Rack price matching) while the Primacy MXV4 is about $555.

Thanks.

Tires are really a tough subject but I love it! I've made many mistakes with tires in the last 35 years and I have learned my lesson. Now with places like the tire rack you can read the reviews and narrow down your choices.

Ask your friend just how much they're willing to spend. Price doesn't mean everything especially when it comes to Michelin tires. They're a very good tire but they're grossly overpriced.

The Corolla isn't a handling machine and it sounds like you want it to handle better than it was designed to by compensating with the tires. This isn't wrong(as even many car companies do this) and your choices between the Eagle GT and the G019 Grid are both good choices if a bit overkill. These two tires are designed to handle better than the Corolla can push them. I think that there is a better tire match for a Corolla although Im not sure what that would be.

Here's one that will throw ya!---Many folks who drive this generation Corolla LE seem to really like the Yokohama Avid TRZ. It seems to be more fitting for the Corolla's personality and handles quite well, even surprisingly so. Has a long tread warranty as well and shouldn't hurt the ride quality of the Corolla. But, I don't know if the TRZ's will have the beefy look of the Eagle's or the G019's. And I don't know your friends driving habits nor do I know the price of a TRZ in a 195-65-15. Sounds like they want you to choose but what happens if they hate your choice?

If handling is a priority then, has your friend considered + sizing even if it's a + zero such as a 205-60/65. For example:

195-65-15 = overall diameter of 24.98"
205-60-15 = overall diameter of 24.68"
205-65-15 = overall diameter of 25.49"
I understand that the 205's fit well on this gen Corolla but I don't know for a fact.

My ex future Mrs. Finklejag seems to like the Eagle GT's on her Saturn Ion. She had Falken 512's on it before. I have never been a fan of Goodyears. The tread pattern caught my eye. The Eagle GT's are made in the USA also. When I drove her car, they seemed to be well planted to the ground. They have some road noise though.

003-3.jpg

002-5.jpg

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I need some tire recommendations for a 2006 Corolla LE, tire size is P195/65R15. The new Michelin Primacy MXV4 is my top choice due to its balance of good and decent treadlife, but I'm not sure if my friend would like to spend that much so I'm looking into alternatives.

I'd like to get a tire that has excellent wet and dry traction, as well as good handling. Handling is important with the windy roads here. There's no snow or ice in this area, so performance in those two areas are not of any concern.

If good dry/wet traction and good handling is important, why not look at Bridgestone RE960? They have a 40k mile treadlife warranty. They won't last as long as the Michelins, but as you said, treadlife is not your main priority.

In my experience, the Michelins are overpriced for what they offer. Not sure how different the Primacy MXV4 is... but I have experience with Energy MXV4+ and I think they're a major disappointment. Sure, they were long-lasting and comfortable, but dry/wet traction and handling (steering response) was quite poor. Then again, they were OEM. Maybe the non-OEM version would have been better.

I would look at Kumho ASX. They're UHP all season and they're really inexpensive now at Tire Rack. And no, I don't work there. In 196/65/15 they're $60 and for the 205/60/15 they're $52 each. Can't beat the price for Ultra high performance. May be more than your friend needs performance wise but for the price, why not?

See michelin X-radial at Sam's and other clubs, price includes lifetime rotation and balance. CR rated #2. 80K warranty. Currently on wife's 2005 corolla. Good all around tire with slight road noise.

My #1 goal would be upsizing to 205/60. TRZ would be great for treadlife. GT would be really nice. The G-019s do not appeal to me at all, I know someone who had a failure w/G-009. ASX work great on light car, but treadlife is poor. I'd be all over the GT or Yoko H4S, which handle great and no need to worry about them in snow, right. Wear is 500 and AA wet traction, unmatched, afaik. My next tires are Turanza Serenity.

I'd try the Falken 912s. Good wet/dry and decent wear and pretty cheap. I've gone through 14 tires between the 512 and 912 models.

Char Baby: my friend seems to be happy with the awful Insignia SE200 tires, so I'm sure anything would be an improvement. She drives this car very hard--she corners hard, brakes hard, etc. I think for her getting the best traction and handling would be a good idea, especially in the interest of safety. The Corolla's suspension is fairly soft, so I do not think ride quality will become an issue. What do you think?

Audi Junkie: I want to stick with the OE size. This isn't my car and if something goes wrong and someone points out the different tire size, I don't want to be the one to get yelled at. :) Also, aside from your experience with the G009 failure, are there any other reasons why you do not like the G019 Grid?

A few other things just came to mind. Someone mentioned the TRZ, but that tire has been on the market for quite a while now. Do we know if it will be replaced in the near future?

I want to purchase a tire that will be around for the next two years, so this probably limits me to the recently released stuff. This is because I want the tire to be available in the event that one needs to be replaced due to damage. In addition, I want a tire with easy to obtain replacements, so a less common brand such as General might not be a good choice. Lastly, I prefer to buy the tire from a national or regional chain shop so that I can have the oil changed and the tires rotated (for free under warranty) in one stop.

Therefore, at the moment I'm leaning towards either the G019 Grid from Firestone or the Eagle GT from a Goodyear dealer. I'll consider the Yokohama TRZs as well if I can find them at a chain shop. Also, with the new information that I just added, what other tires would you folks suggest?

Thanks again.

I suggest thr G019 Grid. For the type of driving, they will be great. I run them on my Focus, and they corner and brake tons better than the OE tires.

As long as ride isn't a concern then your choices are just fine. You've done the right thing and have done your homework along with helping a friend. Well done!

For as aggressively as you say she drives, you might want to steer toward the higher speed rated tires. And they can be gotten inexpensively. Any prices I use here are from TR for comparison only, as I know you want to buy locally.

The GY Eagle GT in 195/65/15 is V rated, 440 A A, for $68.
Kumho ASX (Sears sells them) is V rated, 420 A A, for $60.

After those I would look at:
Yokohama H4S H rated, 500 A A for $76.
Altimax HP H rated, 440 A A, for $63.
[censored] G019 Grid H rated, 460 A A, for $72.

[censored] TRZ is T rated and 700 A B - I'm sure it would work fine, but there are better choices IMO.

I'm sure others will disagree, but this is my opinion based on how aggressively you said she drives.

I forgot that this forum censors my abreviation for Bridgestone.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the Goodyear Eagle GT 91V rated tire? If so, that would be a good choice.

What about Continental ContiPro Contact 91H 400 AA A? They are $74 each (less S&H) on TR.

Of those, I;d take a chance on the GY GT. Yoko H4S too, considering your snow-free climate. The G-00X, since it's a light car, ok they would work well, but they are not B S best tire. If your friends drives hard likeyou say, she will definately appreciate good tires, esp in wet. My woman came around 100% and wants just the best now. fwiw, skip the ASX and Falkens due to fast wear. My GY REdge are wearing better than any tire I remember.

Thanks guys. The Insignias still have 5/32 right now so the tires are probably good for another month or two. I'll keep everyone posted on the final outcome.

YIKES!

She burns thru 3/32 of tread every 30-60 days? Holy Cow, someone needs to slow down a bit, maybe back off the drifting practice or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back