340g is the new pound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Why has the pound lost 13.592 grams?

I am behind the times, when did it lose the other 100 grams?

Or were you referring to some Canadian pound?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Why has the pound lost 13.592 grams?

I am behind the times, when did it lose the other 100 grams?

Thanks for pointing that out. Not sure why I missed that.

What happened to the 113.592 grams?

Mori said the "title says it all". Who are we to question that.
banana2.gif

I indirectly found the answer on Google along with a little light thinking.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I bet cans of coffee will still weigh under 340g.
LOL.gif

A half Gallon of ice cream = 48 ounces....

Last edited:
banana2.gif

Products that have been commonly packaged in 1 lbs (454 g) quantity are increasingly downsized to 340 g retail units. Coffee is one of the most obvious products that are affected. The size of a container holding 340 g is marginally smaller than a container holding 454 g and most consumers, unless they read the label, won't realize they are suddenly buying a lot less product for the same or even likely higher price.

What I also find ridiculous are those downsized products that look like they were packaged for Hobbits. I am talking, for example, about those "short" soda cans and tiny cereal boxes ("Buy two for $4!"). Considering that we all should cut down on waste, which to a large degree comes from totally overpackaged goods, the small package sizes and the "individually wrapped" (peanut) are quite idiotic. I am not saying one should buy everything in bulk, but downsizing the standard retail units makes no sense. Rant over.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
banana2.gif

Products that have been commonly packaged in 1 lbs (454 g) quantity are increasingly downsized to 340 g retail units. Coffee is one of the most obvious products that are affected. The size of a container holding 340 g is marginally smaller than a container holding 454 g and most consumers, unless they read the label, won't realize they are suddenly buying a lot less product for the same or even likely higher price.

What I also find ridiculous are those downsized products that look like they were packaged for Hobbits. I am talking, for example, about those "short" soda cans and tiny cereal boxes ("Buy two for $4!"). Considering that we all should cut down on waste, which to a large degree comes from totally overpackaged goods, the small package sizes and the "individually wrapped" (peanut) are quite idiotic. I am not saying one should buy everything in bulk, but downsizing the standard retail units makes no sense. Rant over.
One of my friend's coffee shops in Chicago has shirts that say "we sell pounds".
grin2.gif
You two would get along well. That's an interesting rant. A fairly common observation is that portion sizes have gotten out of control over the years in this part of the world. Larger items (e.g. pounds of coffee) which have been quietly downsized are obviously still not intended as single-servings; my suspicion is that certain demographics would probably buy larger quantities of particular items more often if their single-serving counterparts actually contained one serving. How much of any given market would depend on a lot of factors, of course. Rant over.
55.gif
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
It is the metric pound.

nope, that's 454 grammes.

Closer to the troy pound.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
One troy pound is 12 ounces, which is 340 grams.

A troy pound is 12 troy ounces which is 373.2 grams.

Imperial measurements, Troy pounds, BAH! The Whig party is screwing with us!

My flivver got 17 hogsheads to the barrel and it was good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back