Manual transmission Ford three speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lon

Hello Ive recently acquired a 1971 Ford F100 with a Warner T85N transmission three speed manual w/overdrive.And was thinking of doing a overhaul of all the old lubes can anyone recommend the correct transmission oil for this transmission.All ive found so far was a Ford spec out of an old manual online as ESW-M2C83-B which doesnt match up with my 1986 Ford light truck specification book for trans oils.

I think it would be an 80W-90 GL-4 or dual-rated GL-4 & GL-5 gear oil. (Old GL-5 gear oils contained a sulfur additive that ate bronze transmission parts. Newer dual-rated GL-4/GL-5 gear oils don't have that problem.) What does the transmission gear oil look like and smell like? Rather thick and stinky?

A local auto parts store might have a lubes catalog that lists the oils by car type.

Used to use 80W-90 in Warner T14a and T98a gearboxes in Jeeps, and I think one of Dad's Jeeps might have had a T85 or T90 which IIRC use 80W-90 too.

I found this:

Quote:
The original Ford spec for the 3 & 4 speed toploaders was ESW-M2C83-B. This translates to a GL-4 75W90 gear lube. You can buy GL-4 from a Ford dealer under XT-75W90-QGL. Oil capacity is 3.5 pints, so you'd need two quart bottles from Ford.

Do not use a GL-5 spec gear lube unless you absolutely cannot find straight GL-4. GL-5 can cause shifting problems in a toploader, as the oil can be too slippery for the synchronizers to work properly.

TNX for info thus far.Was at the local shop looking at specs on the Schaeffers 293 gear lube today and would like to run a semi syn in it.But from what I seen there gear lubes are all GL5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back