Question on Auto Rx...is it working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
AutoRX didn't clean those things because those aren't where it does most of its work.

That's the magic of ARX!

agreed with two points--- "splash zones" like oil cap (just gets vapors) and very upper valve cover area won't see large amounts of ARX + oil to do the cleaning. Also, the Sludge Instructions of double-doses and shorter intervals may be required; a better indicator of cleaning may be opening up your filter and seeing what's in there.

PS-- I just did an ARX cycle on my Subaru, the dipstick varnish did not "disappear", but came right off with a fingernail scrape (as opposed to hard-baked on before), but it's only been a thousand miles or so....ARX works over a long time.

if you want to know for sure- take the cap off with the engine idling-theat will let you know very quickly if the area is splashed or misted. FWIW Honda 4 cyl gets more than a splash-leave the oil filler cap off and /I bet you'll empty the crankcase in about a half hour
Steve

I think people expect too much from arx sometimes. It is NOT a miracle new engine in a can. But from my experience, it's the best thing out there and has great properties beyond just engine cleanliness.

And no, I don't bathe in it.
LOL.gif

The rinse in many cases shows more visual effect than the cleaning phase, although the real work was done in the cleaning phase. There in lies the beauty of ARX. During the cleaning phase the amount of deposits dissolved and suspended in the host oil is dictated by the host oils dispersancy plus a kicker from ARX enabling the host oil to suspend more. You never get in trouble with too much trash circulating in the oil. A good majority of the contaminants that have not dissolved into the host oil during the cleaning phase are there for the taking during the rinse.

In the case of this Volvo turbo, although at only 67K on the clock in my mind is likely a two application motor based on the pictures. There is no question in my mind that two application will clean up this motor nicely. Patience is the key with Auto-Rx. It's a safe, slow methodical cleaner.

When you are all done with this motor, you'll really feel bad about the topic title selected.

ya, spray some carb cleaner or something on that then continue. did you do the new heavy duty tx? 1.5 or 2 bottles auto-rx for clean phase?

actually, if i saw something that bad i'd change oil for just a week, then dump it and change it again and check out the situation then start ARX

but i'm nutty like that

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Yeah but whats the best Dino oil for protection while I'm doing the cleaning/rinsing phases?

Well, theoretically, probably a group III synth.

I would say Probably Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil Clean 5000 would be good choices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The Auto RX will boost the protection that a conventional offers, so even the cheapest stuff should do fine.

Yes, but the better oil it starts with, the better the boost. It's all trivial at the intervals that you run arx, but theoretically speaking....

PP WOULD also make a good choice. But I think it was either Rick20 or Frank just posted that the better the oil's dispercency the better arx works so that's why I was thinking HDEO.

In my moms saturn I have Rotella 10W30 boosted with a quart of PP 5w20 to bring the visc down over the winter for rinse. Next change will probably be straight Rotella 10W30 with another bottle of ARX.

Right now I am running SuperTech oil and ValuCraft filter for my first Clean phase.

It may just be psycological but I think my car is actually running smoother on this stuff than it did on 10w30 MaxLife.

If all you are going to do is have it in there the 2500 miles, then I really dont think it matters (unless you have a turbo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back