Michelin LTX M/S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at new tires for my 2005 F-150 2wd and I think I've settled on the LTX M/S in P265/70-17. Mostly highway service, I don't do heavy towing, and no snow or ice to be found around here. I've read reports of these tires lasting 70-100k miles on full sized trucks.

I've read glowing reviews on the 'net but would like any opinions you guys have to offer. I can get them for a good discount but they are still a premium priced tire so I don't want to overlook another good, long lasting tire.

I've has a set on my Cherokee for a couple of years. They are pretty long-wearing(still seeing all the treads), and fairly sticky, though on ice things can get a little interesting. Of course, that's probably true with any tire on my Jeep.

Good tire, BIG money-my personal favorites are the BFG Commercial A/T, & the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo-got a set of the Revos with 65K now, still have tread left! Michelin makes great tires, but you'll really pay to get them!

Ok, here you go.

I've ran the Mich. M&S on a couple trucks. They're alright.

But please, check out the Firestone Destination A/T.
thumbsup2.gif

The first set I got 80,000+ miles and still looked good. The second set, I ran them 76,000 miles and EASILY could have gone 90,000 miles!

They are FAR cheaper and you'll get a better feel of stability and some better traction.

I just put a set on my 2001 Silverado shortbed 2WD, and would recommend them without reservation. I paid something like full price minus$20 for the set at Discount Tire, and feel like it was money well spent.

I had to bite the bullet and dump a set of Firestone Destination LE's that had started spinning in the rain with 30k miles and 3years/8 months on them. I white-knuckled it through the last two upper Midwest winters with those tires, and couldn't imagine another one. A lot of people give the LE's good reviews, but they were not good on my truck.

The Michelins have been excellent in rain and snow so far. They ride much better than the Firestones, which felt sloppy from day one.

Have had a set of the Michelins, came standard on the Dodge diesel from the factory.

They were *ok*, I don't consider them great for anything other then long tread-life. When this truck became exposed to rain, tail-end whipped right out from behind.

Truck is now currently running a set of Bridgestone Revo's..love them dearly.

For the cost of tires, look at Firestone Destination A/T, Bridgestone Revo's, or even Nitto Terra Grappler a/t tires, these all provide excellent tread-life and traction both. And I guarantee you can find the Firestone's cheaper then the Michelin's.

FWIW - the above post of the Destination LE's have NO comparison to the traction capabilities of the Destination A/T's.

Take a look at tirerack.com and look at survey reviews of all tires in your size, and see what you think.

Last edited:
I have a set of LTX M/S on my 2004 Silverado.

Pricey, but definitely worth it.

I'd buy them again without reservation.

However, I'd be extremely cautious about any tire with Firestone stamped on the sidewall. Millions of tires recalled over the past 30 years, and yet another recall just a few weeks back.

Remember the Explorer fiasco? Firestones.

Take a hard look at General Grabber HTS, it is Consumer Report #1 pick and also #1 on TR test and customer survey, and best of all is it cost about 40% less than Michelin LTX M/S.

Max pressure of Grabber HTS is 44 PSI compares to 35 PSI for LTX M/S, higher max pressure gives you more room to play with to get the right pressure you like.

I once had a set of Firestone Wilderness AT tires, pre-explorer fiasco, and they were junk, I swore I'd never buy another set of Firestones. I'm sure they are a much better tire now.

I've got a relative in the commercial tire distribution business that will sell me tires at cost but they need to be a brand he carries. I know he sells Michelin and maybe Yokohama. His main business is Bandag but I don't think I'm going to go with a set of those.
LOL.gif

keep the suggestions coming, you guys have got me reconsidering.

I have a set of LTX M/S on my 2001 Dakota. 235/75R15. I have 55,000 miles on them now and up until recently they were excellent tires, they had good long tread life and ran very well with good traction on dry roads and in the rain too. They had a good soft quiet ride.

Now they seem louder and I can really feel every single bump in the road and low spot in the road. I think the tires are just hardening with age so the ride quality is not cushioned like before. I have inspected every inch of my suspension and had the truck checked at 3 different tire stores and they found nothing wrong with the suspension. I just put on new shocks too.

The LTX still have good tread left though. Which is why it's hard to justify replacing them but I may have to do that very soon. I am considering the Firestone Destination tires too. I hear they are a very good tire for a better price. $85 each here as opposed to $137 each for LTX's.

Read Tirerack customer reviews of the ltx m/s- one of the longest lasting best built tire on the market, and more importantly a proven product,with years of positive feedback from owners. Worth the few extra dollars.

Yes, the Destination A/T's are a totally different tire than the LE's.

The Destination A/T has a real edge on the outer corners giving great stability. The tread pattern is just agressive enough for great traction. Tires Plus also carries them.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

However, I'd be extremely cautious about any tire with Firestone stamped on the sidewall. Millions of tires recalled over the past 30 years, and yet another recall just a few weeks back.

Remember the Explorer fiasco? Firestones.

There are several more brands of tires that should have been recalled over the same amount of time frame.

I remember when Dodge was putting on Goodyear tires on their 3/4 ton trucks several years back and they were having blow-outs due to the tires not being appropriate for the weight of the trucks, Goodyear NEVER did a recall.

I do agree Firestone's cheaper quality tires are not the best, but that can be said about any manufactorers tires. At least this company's smart enough to recall the issues.

Speaking of recalls though, does that mean people should avoid certain Ford model trucks that have a recall span of over 7yrs due to some type of electrical issue that causes fires in the engine bay?

The Explorer fiasco was half and half at fault, Ford should have NEVER allowed the tire psi to be as low as what they placed on the placard, so to me, Ford was just as much at fault.

I've run Firestone tires for years and years on heavy trucks and suv's and now our 5th wheel and boat....have never had an issue, unlike all the Goodyear sets I've tried.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I have a set of LTX M/S on my 2001 Dakota. 235/75R15. I have 55,000 miles on them now and up until recently they were excellent tires, they had good long tread life and ran very well with good traction on dry roads and in the rain too. They had a good soft quiet ride.

Now they seem louder and I can really feel every single bump in the road and low spot in the road. I think the tires are just hardening with age so the ride quality is not cushioned like before.

I have the Michelin Cross Terrains on my Silverado. With 37K on the tires I have recently started to experience the same problem. Traction is still excellent, wear would probably go to 60K at the current rate, but yes, low speed bumps are jarring.

Yep I'm headed to the tire store this weekend. I can't figure any other reason for this onset of a harsh ride. I may take a look at Dayton tires too, which are supposed to be re-badged Firestones. I need to do more research. I got very good use from my LTX's but Michelins are just not in my budget this time.

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
The Explorer fiasco was half and half at fault, Ford should have NEVER allowed the tire psi to be as low as what they placed on the placard, so to me, Ford was just as much at fault.

Well, it may be what you think, but it isn't supported by fact.

Goodyear also built a tire to the same Ford specifications as Firestone. Both tires were used at the same time. However, because the Firestone tire was cheaper, you can guess which tire they used on the majority of the vehicles.

On a level playing field, the Goodyear tire failed at only a *fraction* of the rate per 1,000 tires, that the Firestone tire failed.

So, we had tires built to the same spec, with the same recommended inflation, but one failed at a drastically higher rate than the other.

I live a short distance from the now closed plant that made many of the recalled tires.

Studies and testing prove the the tire that Firestone built was simply not robust. The design of the tire had features in common with the doomed Radial 500 tire, which was also was involved in a massive recall after suffering from a staggering failure rate.

The problems with Firestone tires are well documented. Ignoring the problems will not make them go away.

I went through 2 sets of LTX M/S tires and agree that they are very good but pricey. I also agree that even though you can get great mileage from them, they become hard and noisy after 30-40k miles. I switched to Pirelli Scorpions ATR's based on reviews at Tirerack and I'm very happy at half the price of the LTX M/S. I have 25k miles on them and still have lots of tread life ahead on my F-150 and Navigator.

If you have a 2WD and never see bad weather an All Terrain tire is overkill for you and will hurt your MPG. Stick with a good All Season tire like you are asking about. For some reason whenever anyone asks about tires for a truck everyone automatically starts talking super aggressive AT or MT's? Makes me wonder if they even read what the OP mentions about 2WD vs 4WD and snow/off road use vs just an on road daily driver?

I have had 2 sets of Michelin LTX M/S tires. They were good tires overall. Not very good in the snow and ice at least on my 2 4WD Dodge Rams but seeing as that is not a concern of yours that doesn't matter. They wear well however, are quiet driving down the road, and give a decent( although not great )ride. Too darn expensive though IMO for what you get.

I have also had 2 sets of Firestone Destination LE's and I LOVED them. 1 set replaced the OE Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires on a 4WD 2007 Silverado( and totally outperformed those AT's in every aspect including snow and ice )and another set came as OE issue on a SUV. IMO they are 10X the tire the LTX M/S tires are. They wear just as well and give a better ride. Might be a little more noisy but it is minimal at best. In a vehicle with decent sound deadening material you won't hear them at all. In snow they are worlds better than the LTX M/S but again that isn't a concern for you.

You should be able to get them in P265/70R17 for under $140 M&B each vs $200 + for the LTX M/S. Another excellent AS truck tire to check into is the Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza. Going to cost somewhere between the LE's and the LTX M/S tires but they are really good tires.

I will be buying a set of the LE's for my new truck to replace the POS Goodyears that came on it just as soon as I have the $$$. Great tires for fair prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back