who makes BMW High Performance 5W-30 Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know which company makes BMW's High Performance 5W-30 Synthetic Oil(the BMW PN 07510017866)?. The BMW LL-01 tech sheet approves of this oil along with GC, M1 0W-40, PP European Formula 5W-30 and Val Syn 5W-30. My dealer says they use Castrol 5W-30 Synthetic from BMW. With the BMW OCI of 15K, I am trying to determine if he is using the proper oil.

....which is why the oil fill cap on BMW's say "BMW Recommends Castrol"

If I'm not mistaken, this oil is sold in europe as Castrol Softec TXT.

Here is a Castrol Data sheet on it:

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_australia/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/t/TXT_Softec_LL01_B1567_02.pdf

Interestingly, it carries a number of approvals including:

GM 6094M
MB 229.1
VW 502 0/505 00

It is a competitive oil for long drains, especially given you can pick it up at a BMW dealer at prices typically lower than the lowest regular priced wal-mart synthetics.

By the way, most here have assessed that 7.5k intervals for BMW's are about right (if a little conservative). That is why your BMW owner's manual has a stamp-box in the maintenance record for an "intermediate" (or some such expression) oil change.

That recommendation is scaled back even further if you are talking about a 335 or a 535 with the twin turbo engine. Because of heat and fuel dilution issues, even less miles recommended. If it were mine, I would probably be changing in the 5k range.

I am using GC in my 330ci based on UOA's and analysis by Terry Dyson. He feels that I have found my oil in the GC, and if you are running a normally aspirated BMW inline six, my own view is that you couldn't do any better than GC.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I am using GC in my 330ci based on UOA's and analysis by Terry Dyson. He feels that I have found my oil in the GC, and if you are running a normally aspirated BMW inline six, my own view is that you couldn't do any better than GC.

Terry thinks RLI is better.

I've been running M1 0W-40 in my wife's 2004 X3, and based on my driving conditions the UOAs indicate that the M54 needs an OCI of no more than 8500 miles. I'm running my current OCI with M1 5W-40 TDT just to see if I get a better report. The OM never mentions using an oil with Long Life 01 certification, it simply recommends a 5W-30 or 5W-40 SH-or better-rated synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I don't know if RLI would be any better in a normally aspirated BMW engine. I know it was designed to address the fuel dilution issues in the direct inject engines such as the N54. I wouldn't mind trying it in mine, but since I'm still under BMW warranty and RLI has not been certified BMW LL-01 or ACEA A3 I'm running GC. If my UOA on the GC with 7500 miles is OK, I'll probably just stick with it.

I don't doubt that, but I don't think it existed when he analyzed my used oil. Also, I don't know how much real value it would give me in my application. Incremental at best I'm guessing, and not worth the dramatic increase in cost (to me). Value for money is included in my buying decisions and recommendation.

hi,
sprintman - Like most vehicle manufacturers BMW will have a number of suppliers of a Factory Fill lubricant. I agree that most BMW engines here in OZ at least have a diet of M1 0W-40 during their intial and later life

Daimler AG and Porsche-VW-Audi are the same - they have a preferred "prime" supplier which is another "developmental" issue

The interchange between the preferred supplier' Engineers and the vehicle manufacturer's Engineering personnel has to be understood to be believed

Last edited:
Also, I don't know how much real value it would give me in my application. Incremental at best I'm guessing, and not worth the dramatic increase in cost (to me). Value for money is included in my buying decisions and recommendation.

I hear ya. That's why I'm still running GC, too.

Also, I don't know how much real value it would give me in my application. Incremental at best I'm guessing, and not worth the dramatic increase in cost (to me). Value for money is included in my buying decisions and recommendation.

I hear ya. That's why I'm still running GC, too.

Also, I still have about 35L of it in my stash. Pretty much have to use it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back