Brake Bleeder Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvl

OK ............ I need some information and/or advice from the experts here.

I have been doing some reading and have discovered I have been neglecting an important part of auto preventive maintenance! I have changed ALL fluids in our auto's on a very regular basis for years, except for the brake fluid. I am now convinced this was and is a mistake. So, I intend to begin this process immediately.

I definitely want this to be a one man operation. I'm just not sure if a vacuum device, such as the one's sold at Griot's Garage or Mityvac or a pressure device, such as those sold by Motive Products is the best method.

So, which is the best all around unit .... less mess, easiest, most fool proof, produces best results, etc:

1- Vacuum type OR Pressure type?
2- Of these two types, who makes the better product?
3- Any recommendations (specific model number) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all!

Last edited:
motive pressure bleeder has been the best overall for me. There are benefits to a pedal method sometimes.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
What make/model vehicles do you plan to use the device with?

Both vehicles are Ford Expeditions

I bought a Napa (part #775-9089) One Man Bleeder Hose for $6.09. It is supposed to have a one way valve. I haven't tried it yet. I'm trying to decide what brake fluid to use. If it doesn't work, Sears has a Mityvac brake bleeder kit for about $34, and Autozone has a vacuum device that said it could bleed brakes for $29.95.
All you need is a plain hose and a bottle or coffee can if you connect one end of the hose to the bleeder valve and put the other end in the bottle/can under some brake fluid you have to put in the bottle/can. That way air can't get back into the valve.
However, sometimes air can leak around the threads in the bleeder valve. Some people use something like vaseline on the threads. I read in the Wikipedia that the power method was less likely to have this problem, but it didn't explain why. So I'm not convinced.

Last edited:
The advantage to the Motive Power Bleeder isn't that obvious if you just put a board under the brake or clutch pedal. Or if you have the time just let gravity do the job. You don't have to pump the peddle(I'm not sure this would work with one-way valves). However, the power method may be faster depending on how often you refill the reservoir. The gravity method if you do all 4 valves at the same time may be the easiest, but I'm not sure how long it takes.

Thanks to all for your responses!

Does anyone care to elaborate on which type unit does the better job: Vacuum type or pressure type??

I really like the vacumm type, especially the one at Griot's Garage. But, from what I have read, it appears the pressure type might have the advantage?? I'm confused!

Thanks again!

Regardless of which unit is best, it wouldn't hurt to put Teflon tape on the threads of the bleeder screws to prevent air from getting around the threads. I think speed bleeders have something to seal the threads on them.

Well, after more research, I think I am going to order the Motive brake bleeder p/n 0107. If I am reading the specifications correctly, the cap will fit our 1998 & 2008 Expedition perfectly.

Now, for two additional questions:

It appears there will be no problem bleeding the line at each wheel. Since both vehicles have anti-lock brakes, I am supposed to bleed some other point also? If so, where?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: tvl
Since both vehicles have anti-lock brakes, I am supposed to bleed some other point also? If so, where?

No, but on some cars the ABS control unit needs to be cycled.

I'm Back ......... I've been reading more and I have become confused once again. For those interested read the following information I copied from an article and give me your opinions:

Pressure bleeding do's and don'ts
Pressure bleeding on its own is not necessarily a bad thing, but there are several steps one must take to ensure that the bleed event will result in an air-free brake system.

When we talk about pressure bleeding, we are referring to the process in which we pour our brake fluid into a pressure vessel, hook up a pressure source, and run the now pressurized fluid directly into the master cylinder reservoir. One by one the caliper bleeder screws are opened to allow the pressurized fluid to flow through the system until all of the old fluid has been purged. Simple, right?

Well yes, but beware of imitations – not all pressure bleeders are created equal. The professional units (the type you can consider using) separate the pressurized brake fluid from the pressure source (air) using a flexible rubber diaphragm. In this fashion, the pressurized air is kept from forcing its way into the fluid. As we all know, air and fluid should be kept as far apart as possible.

This brings us to the imitations. There seem to be a rash of products available lately that claim to be pressure brake bleeders at a fraction of the cost of the professional units. Like most things that sound too good to be true, well, it’s exactly that.

Like the professional units, these imitations contain a pressure vessel into which new brake fluid is poured. However, in order to pressurize the fluid, an integral pump handle is cycled to build the pressure inside the vessel without any measures taken to separate the pressurized air from the fluid. For those of you who have ever bought a $19.95 do-it-yourself potted plant and bug sprayer from Home Depot you get the idea.

Of course, having pressurized air in contact with the brake fluid will certainly force the fluid through the system just as effectively as the high-zoot professional unit, but as an added bonus we are stuffing air into the brake fluid at the same time. Talk about an unwanted surprise!

While it may not be visible to the naked eye (air can actually entrain itself in the fluid as to be visually undetectable) it’s there right along with all of the nasty moisture trapped inside of it. This of course begs the question: if you are stuffing air and water contaminated fluid into your brake system, why even bother bleeding it in the first place?

Naturally there will be those who argue that the amount of air in question is not important enough to worry about, but think about this for a moment: nearly every automotive manufacturer stores their bulk brake fluid in large containers which are subjected to a constant VACUUM. Talk about an expensive process! If just storing your fluid under regular atmospheric conditions isn’t good enough to keep air and water out, just imagine what shoving 30psi worth of compressed air on top of it is doing.

The professional units can cost hundreds of dollars, and for good reason; unfortunately the cost keeps them beyond the reach of most of us normal folks. Your best bet is probably to get back in the driver’s seat and begin stroking the pedal with your foot again, but ultimately the choice is yours.

Is this article implying that units such as the Motive brake bleeder are inferior to the more costly professional units? Is it also implying there is a much greater chance of introducing air in a system with this type? Is the vacuum type models less prone to introduce air into the brake system?

Please bear with me as I "learn"!

Shouldn't need 30 psi!!!.The brake system seals under pressure so a vacume bleeder is the worst way to bleed brakes ,I learned that years ago when taking a brake class. The whole thing about bleeding the brakes is to do it every couple of years and then every thing will be fine.

Shouldn't need 30 psi!!!.The brake system seals under pressure so a vacume bleeder is the worst way to bleed brakes ,I learned that years ago when taking a brake class. The whole thing about bleeding the brakes is to do it every couple of years and then every thing will be fine.

Originally Posted By: tvl

While it may not be visible to the naked eye (air can actually entrain itself in the fluid as to be visually undetectable) it’s there right along with all of the nasty moisture trapped inside of it. This of course begs the question: if you are stuffing air and water contaminated fluid into your brake system, why even bother bleeding it in the first place?

Change you brake fluid quickly to avoid the ill effects of hygroscopy! Don't make the fluid replacement a two month long operation with a turkey baster.
wink.gif

The claim that a simple pressure bleeder will force any noticeable amount of air into the brake fluid is in my opinion preposterous. A simple pressure bleeder certainly does not aerate the brake fluid contained in the pressure bleeder's tank.

I have been using a simple pressure bleeder for years and haven't had any issues with my brakes.

How can you trust bulk brake fluid a shop keeps in a tank? Does it have a floating lid, or is covered with a gas blanket? Is it really clean in a generally less than clean environment?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Shouldn't need 30 psi!!!.

What clown came up with that idiotic figure?

If you car's brake system can't withstand a pressure bleeder at normal operating pressure, then the brake system needs to be repaired anyway.

[/quote]
The claim that a simple pressure bleeder will force any noticeable amount of air into the brake fluid is in my opinion preposterous. A simple pressure bleeder certainly does not aerate the brake fluid contained in the pressure bleeder's tank.

I have been using a simple pressure bleeder for years and haven't had any issues with my brakes.[/quote]

OK, that's what I wanted to see. Someone who has USED the simpler pressure bleeder and has experienced NO issues. I do believe this fact alone will sway me towards the pressure bleeder.

But, just so that I can say that I asked, have you ever tried the vacumm type (such as Mityvac). What are the pros and cons of this type unit?

Thanks soooooooo much!

Vacuum bleeders, and I'm sure those who prefer those contraptions will vehemently disagree with me, can let air get sucked back into the caliper. Success depends likely on following the proper procedure.

With a pressure bleeder, you simply maintain sufficient pressure. The brake fluid will move only in one direction, which is away from the brake fluid reservoir. The pressure bleeder doesn't require very much pressure. You can also get the flow going with very little pressure on the brake system, or augment flow, by also gently pressing the brake pedal in addition (not all the way to the floor!). No second person is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back