The O.S. that won't die

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,155473/printable.html

This week, Dell announced it will offer systems with the aging Windows XP for a surcharge of US$150 over the newer Windows Vista--this only five months after it stopped offering XP on its Inspiron consumer desktop and laptop PCs.

Is Windows 7 the Solution?

"Windows 7 is designed to fix this problem [the Vista stigma], but it will need stronger demand generation marketing than Microsoft has yet proven it can provide," Enderle says.

That guy is right-on...needs MUCH better marketing. Win7 (version 6.1) will be in our hands by 3rd quarter of next year. If MS screws this up, they're going to take a market beating in the future.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

That guy is right-on...needs MUCH better marketing. Win7 (version 6.1) will be in our hands by 3rd quarter of next year. If MS screws this up, they're going to take a market beating in the future.

They should apply for their bailout in advance while the getting is good.

Will Windows 7 be compatible with older devices like printers? my in-laws had to dump newish printers because they wouldn't work with Vista. XP only

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Will Windows 7 be compatible with older devices like printers? my in-laws had to dump newish printers because they wouldn't work with Vista. XP only

Depends on the model & brand of printer. Some are only supported on specific versions of Windows. Years ago, I had a HP DeskJet 722 that was not supported under Win2000 for a long time, so I had to be stuck with (Gulp) Windows 98.

We got rid of the printer as I figured it wasn't worth using Windows 98 solely for the reason of using a printer that a vendor refused to make newer drivers for.

This is just me wondering aloud and transferring these thoughts via keyboard. . . .

I was one of the initial Vista-bashers because my printer that was 5 years old didn't work out of the gate. I did some digging on HP's web site, and they had a work-around posted to make Vista think it was a newer version of the printer. After 5 minutes of clicking, the printer worked with about 95% functionality.

Does anyone think this is a case of the peripheral manufacturers not posting work-arounds like this that helped contribute to the bad rep Vista got? I've had Vista for nearly two years now with no problems.

As far as Windows 7 goes, I've read that it will support all devices that currently work with Vista.

Last edited:
I received a nice HP all in one printer/scanner that was less than a year old from my in laws. It didn't work with vista per in-laws. I want to say HP 5700 series. I'm still using XP so I happily accepted it.

A lot of people are unhappy with Vista, at best it takes more resources to do the same job and has little advantage over XP other than eye candy.

If Windows 7 is basically Vista SP2 or 3 with a face lift, it's not going to fool a lot of people. The press and knowledgeable users are going to be loaded for bear when 7 is released.

It is ridiculous that MS is spending billions on operating systems and not making major improvements.

I'll stick with XP, I bought a 2900.00 large bed scanner from hp that had "designed for vista" right on the box. Only way to access the scanner from vista is with the scanner and camera wizard, so I loose multisheet feed, single scan resolution and no way to control color. Under xp it works flawlessly. Hp blames ms, ms blames hp. No work arounds yet.

Also my neighbor was invited to the ms windows 7 pdc and came away with a hardrive with the prebeta code on it. Same problem with scanner and a number of games that worked under vista didn't work under win 7.

Fist blush it looks like vista with UAC windows suppressed.

Windows 7 is Blackcomb. Vista (Longhorn) was basically a wrap-up of the "complete" features developed for Blackcomb so that MS could bring SOMETHING to the market, since Blackcomb's development was not complete.

Blackcomb has been in development since 2002 IIRC. We had some VERY young code that was horrendously unstable but looked REALLY cool back then!

This has been a development that has taken far too long for Microsoft's liking.

Personally I think that, *IF* MS can market Windows 7, it will be a big hit. They really do KNOW this time that that can't screw this one up, so it will work out of the box. Too bad they had to screw up so bad in the recent past to put the pressure back (on themselves).

I though you were talking about DOS. The good old days that you could just copy your hard drive over and no need to reinstall anything.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Can't you still do that with Linux?

As long as your kernel has the necessary modules for the new hardware, you sure can.

May require some editing of the fstab, but that's minor.

Introducing:

Windows 7... It comes with these features:

- 7 Different Versions to choose from (More than Vista could offer)

- Requires 7gb of Ram
- Requires 7gb of H.D.D. Space
- Installs from 7 CD's
- It will annoy you with messages every 7 minutes asking you to Allow/Deny
- It will cause Blue-Screens of Death randomly every 7 days
- It takes 7 phone calls to Microsoft Support to get it running with all your hardware
- You will have to format your H.D.D. every 7 months and reinstall because it's running poorly
- You will bang your head against the wall 7 times and wish that you never took off your old copy of Windows XP.

Microsoft... Frustration for everyone in just under 7 seconds! (New Slogan)

crackmeup2.gif
These guys are going to turn into the next GM!

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
The good old days that you could just copy your hard drive over and no need to reinstall anything.

Since I'm constantly upgrading my computer to newer older machines (
grin2.gif
), Linux is a good choice.

I've swapped Ubuntu drives into new machines 2-3 times with no problems. No fstab changes needed.

I like Ubuntu... I have recently been playing with a copy of Xandros and it's fabulous... Very user friendly and comes with some really great features such as the cross-over program that lets you install some Microsoft Software in it like MS-Office.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
These guys are going to turn into the next GM!

Dear Lord, no. As much as I like to poke fun of MS, I believe it's absolutely in our best interest to keep as much software business INSIDE the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back