Break-in with CJ-4 Rotella

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend I will be breaking in the 2.1 liter engine in our VW Syncro Vanagon. I wanted to see what you guys thought about using Rotella T 10W30 (CJ-4) as a break-in oil. Fire away...thanks!

Me either. My concerns are that it contains enough anti wear additives for break-in. Did some reading on another web site that brought those concerns up but wanted some other opinions. Thanks Johnny.

You may never totally cure your concerns about what to use for break-in but if it makes you feel better, use that oil and add some GM ZDDP additive (I forget its name due to not posting enough here lately) or similar additive product (Redline ZDDP additive, etc). If that doesn't do it, the problem was probably the engine, not the lube.

Hi,
synormin - You could use that lubricant subject to the operating ambient temperature range.
In contrast to JAG I would not use any supplementary additives

Do not be "easy" on the engine during "run-in" - constantly use a good mix of load (and WOT for 10-20 seconds or so) and slow accelleration (light lugging for 10-30 seconds) and slowly increase the maximum revs use as distance accumulates. Treat it a bit like you hate it!! Watch coolant temperature and OP at all times - best wishes!

Thank you guys for the feedback. The break-in procedure seems just as important, if not more so, than the type of lubricant chosen to do the break-in. Doug and bullwinkle, I will do as you guys suggest with acceleration/deceleration and rest assured it's chilly in the Seattle area this weekend so 10w30 should be fine.
Onto my next question...after the motor is broken in what type/brand oil should I use and what viscosity? Most suggestions I'm getting are 20w50 but I'm thinking a 10w40 or 5w40 would be better choices given the temperature ranges where I live (outside Seattle). Also this will be my wifes primary transportation taking kids to school, etc and used daily...mostly short trips, some highway. I'm all ears...thanks again.

Agree with Doug. A quality 5W-40 will work well in the Vanagon.

What year model is your Vanagon? Can you post some pictures? Those were neat old vans.

Last edited:
A quality 5w40 it is then! Ours is an '87 Syncro (AWD) Vanagon, not a camper just a regular old van. My wife LOVES this thing, mostly for the ease with which she can load/unload our young boys but there's more to it than that;-)She came down to the garage last weekend and snapped a few photos of the motor just before it went in http://www.flickr.com/photos/28057395@N00/sets/72157610855749903/ I've replaced the plastic coolant lines with stainless steel lines and tried yesterday to dial in how they're routed. This van has to be up and running by Tuesday as we have family coming in for Christmas...so the heat is on so to speak! I'll try and post video of start-up, thanks again for the well wishes and interest! Pete

Well, if the inside of that engine looks as good as the outside it should run perfectly. Did you do that rebuild by yourself? That's two good looking kids with the sore necks. I owned an old 67 bus, and 86 Syncro, and a 2000 Vanagon. We wish we still had the Vanagon. All of my old VW cars and vans were great vehicles.

I bought the assembled long block and have built it up from there. Got a little carried away with powder coating/cadmium plating on some of the parts but boy they look nice and will last a long time! You've had quite the collection Johnny! Was the 2000 a Eurovan? What oil did you run in these vehicles?

Nice job on the rebuild! Enjoy your ride
thumbsup2.gif

Yes, the 2000 was a Eurovan, not a Vanagon. Let me see if I can remember what I've used in all of my VW's. The 67 bus and the 70 beetle I used Pennzoil 30wt. In the 86 Syncro I used Amsoil 10W-40, and in the 2000 Eurovan I started out with Amsoil 10W-40 then switched to Pennzoil European Formula 5W-40 when we came out with it. The Eurovan was probably the best van we have ever owned, but we had to replace the A/C compressor almost every year to the tune of $900.00 so we got rid of it. The wife wants one of the new Routan vans, but I cannot afford it now.

Isn`t it advisable to use a break-in oil filter too in some applications(when new,a car would come with a spin-on filter w/o a by-pass valve,so that all particles were captured-they should be available at the dealer)...
If the by-pass valve was mounted on the block however,it would necessitate a more frequent oil filter change during the break-in procedure...

Nice bus. I have a 1988 Vanagon Wolfburg Weekender. I have had very good results with Rotella 15w40 for warm weather and 5w40 in the winter. Be sure and use an Mann or German filter. The HDEO oils are a great match for the WBX engine.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Yes, the 2000 was a Eurovan, not a Vanagon. Let me see if I can remember what I've used in all of my VW's. The 67 bus and the 70 beetle I used Pennzoil 30wt. In the 86 Syncro I used Amsoil 10W-40, and in the 2000 Eurovan I started out with Amsoil 10W-40 then switched to Pennzoil European Formula 5W-40 when we came out with it. The Eurovan was probably the best van we have ever owned, but we had to replace the A/C compressor almost every year to the tune of $900.00 so we got rid of it. The wife wants one of the new Routan vans, but I cannot afford it now.
Was it replaced with a rebuild, a reman, or a brand new OE compressor?

Rebuild and Reman compressors rarely last more than 2 years, in my experience. When I was growing up, the Nissan Maximas were always needing new AC compressors.

Do not know. We owned the van for 4-years and a compressor was replaced every year around May or June. First three were under warranty, the fourth one cost $900, that included parts and labor. When the last one started making noise we traded it in.

Last edited:
If the TDI version of those were available in the US I'd buy one, actually looked @ a diesel Vanagon a while back that needed an engine rebuild for the 1.6 N/A diesel-was afraid it wouldn't be able to get out of its' own way!!

Originally Posted By: synormin
...this will be my wife's primary transportation taking kids to school, etc and used daily
Can you find a vehicle that offers more protection if another car hits you? I don't think you can find one that offers less protection, except maybe an older VW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back