Milk Smelling & Tasting Wormy from Wal-Mart !?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, it's a process that's "added" to solve a problem that shouldn't exist in a modern, remotely sensible and hygenic world.

But they put melamine and everything else in food these days, so may as well leave it pasteurised as well

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Still don't get the huge consumption of milk...it's not natural.

I guess it's one of those thick/thin oil things. Even without using it as a beverage, much of the cereal consumption would be a bit tasteless with water as the lubricant/softener/carrier of choice ...although it works with something like oatmeal, I suppose.

Nothing like baked goods or chocolate with milk. Other beverages, while they work, just don't do it the same way.

There was some experiment somewhere..some time ..where they gave 1/2 pint more milk daily to some study group (orphans, perhaps) and they grew taller than those who did not. Now they may have also grown fatter later on..and the control group may have been fed gruel ...but
21.gif

Milk is an udder joy ...

What don't you like about it? What do you prefer? Water?

Children drink water mostly from our recycled sweat and urine. Strawberry/chocolate milk, they'll ask for once or twice a week, yoghurt 4-5 times a week. About a litre of juice between them on any given week.

Adults water mostly. Black tea for me, an occasional cup of coffee (with milk, a couple tablespoons). Adult beverages.

Just don't know any "milk moustache" types at all.

There used to be one guy at work, but that was only because the milk in the tea/coffeee fridge was free, and he was into "free nutrition", including other people's packaged lunches.

IMO, it's a process that's "added" to solve a problem that shouldn't exist in a modern, remotely sensible and hygenic world.

But they put melamine and everything else in food these days, so may as well leave it pasteurised as well

Cow nipple, milking equipment, tank, packaging etc hygiene are questionable at best. I want my milk dead.
grin2.gif

PS: I forgot to mention I make ice-cream all the time.

If the hygiene is so questionable, then why chase the product ?

pasturised puss may not give you an infection, but it's certainly not desirable.

Last time I made icecream, I used condensed milk.

And that was the night I cooked Senegalese (I don't think that the icecream was authentic)...a long time ago.

If the hygiene is so questionable, then why chase the product ?

The alternative is even more questionable. I can do without listeria and typhoid fever. With the increasing popularity of raw milk in Europe, cases of haemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS), which causes severe kidney and brain damage or death especially in children, have increased manifold over the past decade.

A Sampling of Raw Milk Incidents

July 2004--The Indiana Public Health Department advised consumers to check their refrigerators and freezers for raw milk cheese that may be contaminated with salmonella. Routine product sampling found the bacteria in lot number 139 of "Natural Raw Milk Cheese" made by Meadow Valley Farm after the cheese was distributed to farmers' markets and specialty food stores in parts of Indiana and Wisconsin.

2002-2003--Two children were hospitalized in Ohio for infection with Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium. These children and 60 other people in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Tennessee developed bloody diarrhea, cramps, fever, chills, and vomiting from S. Typhimurium tracked to consuming raw milk. The milk producer voluntarily relinquished its license for selling raw milk upon recommendation of the Ohio Department of Agriculture.

2000-2001--In North Carolina, 12 adults were infected with Listeria monocytogenes linked to homemade, Mexican-style fresh soft cheese produced from contaminated raw milk sold by a local dairy farm. Ten of the 12 victims were pregnant women, and infection with the bacterium resulted in five stillbirths, three premature deliveries, and two infected newborns.

1998--In Massachusetts, 66 people received injections to protect against potential exposure to rabies after drinking unpasteurized milk from a local dairy. A cow that died at the dairy was found to be infected with rabies. Transmission of the rabies virus through unpasteurized milk, although not the common route of infection, is theoretically possible, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Sources: CDC, Indiana State Board of Animal Health

OK, so the puss should be pasteurised then.

But why the desire for pasteurised puss ?

Cheese, yep that's a nice thing. Yoghurt and sour cream etc good too.

But why gallons of milk over 300M people, at ridiculously low cost, creating the very problems that need pasteurisation ?

How do you pasteurise a lettuce, and why would you ever need to ?

Who says it's puss? A huge amount of product is easily contaminated by minute amounts of potentially lethal pathogens. It's an unnecessary risk.

It's the same for milk here as it is for Rice in Asia and for Asians I know! Asians LOVE Rice, we LOVE milk (and Ice Cream)!

If Bessie has mastitus, or sores on her teats, Bessie would be ruled out of the family milking programme, and diverted to potty calves.

If Bessie is one of several million cows being milked daily for several million gallons of milk, then every pathogen that Bessie emits is in the milkstream and has to be dealt with.

And Bessie's reaction to infection will generally involve puss.

"Taste is another major difference between organic milk and ours. The raw milk quality differences mentioned above must then be translated into a finished product. The enemies of milk are heat and light. We protect the milk from damage by heat in our pasteurization step. Every time you heat milk you change the original flavor.

Federal law requires a minimum pasteurization temperature of 163°F. We pasteurize at 173°F, but most dairies pasteurize at 185°F and above. They do this to get the required "code date" length on their products. This higher temperature results in a "cooked" flavor of milk."

Even if you live in a society where every family has their own cow or goat, you will still end up with regular outbreaks of diseases caused by pathogens that cannot be eliminated by merely inspecting Elsie's rosy teats daily. Infections are contagious and pathogen excretion is in effect way before Elise has as much as a pimple on her udder.

OK, so the puss should be pasteurised then.

But why the desire for pasteurised puss ?

Shannow,

I enjoy puss and eat it all the time. A good washing is all I prefer but the requirement for pasterurzed puss is unnecessary.

You're correct, and I agree with you...better not visit the butcher with all that raw meat, 'though.

But it rings with me the same way as when people are arguing the gold standard.

Why does gold have a value by which currencies (and risk) should be valued ?

Why would you even bother with a product (milk) that is so scary ?

Gotta drink and eat something -- even if it's puss. There, I said it.

Quote:
Why would you even bother with a product (milk) that is so scary ?

It's not scary when it's pasteurized.
wink.gif

Quote:
better not visit the butcher with all that raw meat

I don't eat raw meat (or fish).

Quote:
Why does gold have a value by which currencies (and risk) should be valued ?

Because its sheen is universally seductive.

I'd rather be first than second like you.....
LOL.gif

I'm having it with coffee right now. Yum.

So roadkill is fine if it's cooked enough ?

mori, I'll bet that cocoa was rich, and thick, and creamy (but chock full of flavenoids)

The worst part of waking up, is having a little pus in your cup.

Pus, it does a body good.

All the taste. Only 1% pus.

Tastes like real pus because it is.

Pus by Name. Pus by Nature. (PureHarvest Aussie brand slogan)

Vitasoypus. Enjoy Your Health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back