Wear a helmet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. When I was in my youth I took a week long mountain biking trip through the CO Rockies with a YMCA group and witnessed a wreck bad enough to wear the dude's helmet likely saved his life. He hit so hard it cracked the helmet almost in half but walked away.

Really nasty. My son went over the handlebars when he was about 6 years old, pedaling as fast as he could go, which was part of why he went down, but he was wearing a helmet. Front of helmet hit the asphalt with a sickening thud. He was fine, the helmet was cracked.

Those bike helmets are designed to break when they absorb an impact. They work real well. I always wear one, too bad a helmet didn't stop my right forearm from breakin' when I hit that raccoon.

I just got a new Fox Flux in Urban Camo. Great helmet for the money. Only problem with it is I went on a ride with seven other guys last weekend. Four of us had the same helmet.

Pablo,
I love the motivational poster they made from the pic of the guy's bloody noggin: "BIKING - You're doing it wrong" Too funny!

little bro' and I were downhill racing at snowshoe WV few years back. He left the gate and 2 minutes later they halted the race. I was ~10 riders back at staging. The first guys to run were the pros. 10 mins later the pros are all coming back up saying, "ooo that was bad" and "wonder if he'll make it." 5 mins later my name was hailed over the paging system.

He was estimated at 50 mph when he hopped a rut and the QR on front wheel let go.

He was 8' off the ground at the finish line and flew ~60 yards total when he landed on his chin. I sat there in the EMT tent fishing mud from his airway. They airlifted him down to roanoke and I followed in the car.

He was wearing a full face helmet that extended low on the back. They said most FF helmets didn't go that far low... any other helmet he'd be dead.

He has struggled with short term memory since then and switched to rock climbing. rarely bikes now.

Know TWO guys who went down. BOTH cracked the back of the helmet, right where your brain stem is. BOTH survived to ride again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back