Asus Eee Box comes with malware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, that's just moronic. I'm a big ASUS fan, and that just looks bad, plain and simple. The fact that Apple, Seagate and others have done it doesn't make it look any nicer.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Pathetic.

But then again, exercise your right to make a choice, buy the Linux-equipped Eee PC! Poof!!! Your virus worries are no more!

Fortunately (I hope) I have the eee-1000 netbook, not the eee-box.

Is Nod32 good enough to find that garbage?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Jesus, that's just moronic. I'm a big ASUS fan, and that just looks bad, plain and simple. The fact that Apple, Seagate and others have done it doesn't make it look any nicer.

First I've heard of Seagate doing this.

Care to post some details?

Originally Posted By: Iain
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

First I've heard of Seagate doing this.

Care to post some details?

From the link in the first post:

Quote:
In addition to last month’s Asus fiasco when they accidentally shipped cracking tools and confidential documents on recovery DVDs, the company is among the increasing number of companies that have shipped malware on their products during the last couple of years - Apple (2006), TomTom (2007), Seagate (2007), and HP (2008).

Originally Posted By: Iain
Turns out they weren't proper Seagate disk drives at all. The drives were Maxtor and were made in some dodgy Chinese shop in 2007.

But Seagate has owned Maxtor since May of '06.

But they weren't Seagate disk drives.

Let's hope Seagate have learnt something from that.

True. But that's kind of like GM having a safety defect in Saab and then saying they weren't GM cars
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back