Jim Shockey's Gold FFG for Blackpowder guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
I made about 15 shots with the Jim Shockey's Gold FFG powder and the Hornady Shock Wave 300 grain Sabots in my Thompson Center Hawken 50 cal.

I haven't used all the "improved" muzzleloader powders as yet but this powder shot extremely clean and accuracy was best with about 85 grains of Shockey. It appears that 10 to 15 grains less is needed for the same pressure compared to the Hogdens.

The only fouling I saw was with the sabot plastic, which tended to leave a bit of plastic about 6" from the muzzle.

Last edited:
I have the same Thompson you have and love it. I have always used Pyrodex over the years which burns cleaner than traditional black powder but am sure could not carry carry water to Shockey's Gold powder. I would love to try his product. I have always used 85 to 100 grains with a 375 grain buffalo bullet which has worked well on deer. If you are in the Midwest, you sure have some fine states to select from to hunt trophy whitetail deer. I have visited some of our customers in Wisconsin and they have shown me some of their racks with awesome mass. What is the best cleaning method you have found for your Hawken?

For cleaning, I run a saturated mop down the bore with TC's milky disiloxane cleaner, let soak for about 15 minutes, then use a 20/28 guage shotgun brush soaked with the TC cleaner moving up and down the bore about 5-10 times, and then let soak for about 15 more minutes.

I then use a jag with a circular (wet) patch to fit making sure I get the crud out of the flashhole area. The dry patch it.

For long time storage, I spray the bore with brake cleaner, dry it out with a patch, and lube with RLI's foaming spray lube. Before shooting, I again use the brake cleaner, let it dry, and then mop it with TC's milky bore cleaner.

The only problem I have ever had is the flash hole area gumming up when I used petroleum cleaner/lubes and not getting proper ignition. I stay away from any mineral oil cleaner or lube.

And oh yes, I was using CCI's #11 percussion caps.

BTW, the first three shots at 50 yards were on top of each other with the later shots expanding to about 6 inches towaqrd 15 shots with open iron sights. There was no cleaning in between. I only quit because bullet seating pressure increased due to sabot plastic residue. All shots were fired on the bench with sand bags.

Last edited:
Very similar to how I clean my Hawken. I also utilize iron sights. I feel most comtorable shooting out to 75 yards max. with the open sights. I clean with Hogden cleaning oil until finding a clean patch. The RLI's spray lube I assume is a bio based formulation as their motor oil's. I have had some gumming issues that this could help in the nipple area, which is especially hard to keep from deposits.

50-75 yards is my max shooting distance as well.

Yes, the RLI foaming spray lube is a bio-syn formula as well.

The cleaner is the water-based TC 13 (disiloxane) cleaner. I had tried the Knight cleaning oil but still had flashhole gumming.

Have you tried the 209 primer nipple conversion? I have not but many people say it will blow the flashhole clean and provides better ignition. I plan on doing this conversion soon to see if this will help.

Correction: The saboted bullets were the TC Shock Wave 300 grain Sabots.

Last edited:
That makes me feel better, I love his outdoor shows and think he is one of the best hunters you can see on TV. There was an article I read with a benchtop test(and I cannot remember the source) they did not like the American Pioneer Powder he has his name on, so this makes me feel better. I could not imagine he would use or be associated with an underperforming product. I'll still see if I cannot find that article in one of my magazines, I know it was within the last 6 months or so. I have really been pleased with Hogdens triple 7 for what it's worth.

I love and read at chuckhawks.com and the stuff was reviewed there, and that could be where I was thinking. I still feel like it was in a hard copy magazine; regardless, it was reviewed on chuckhawks. If I find a hardcopy magazine like I am recalling, I will post.

Gun Tests magazine didn't have good results with Shockey's Gold, far too much variation in the velocity.
Blackhorn 209 was much better, and much easier to clean.

Originally Posted By: Cycle Freak
If you can find it(not easy here) try some Black Mag 3, great performance and shoots very clean.

+1,

I've gotten better velocity, less fouling and considerably better accuracy with Black Mag 3, but the only place I have been able to get it is through the manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: Cycle Freak
If you can find it(not easy here) try some Black Mag 3, great performance and shoots very clean.

I found a local place that carries Black mag 3 and got 3 bottles of it.. It is quite clean shooting but I was still getting the crud ring near the breach plug..

this is my first muzzleloader so I really didnt have anything to compare the BM3 against..

the blackhorn 309 powder is available as gander mtn and Bass pro shops..

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back