Copper Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the HD in my laptop and had to remove a piece of copper tape. It no longer has enough sticky to stay in place.

I called Radio Shack - no go. Any ideas where I might be able to buy a small role of this stuff?

I wonder if metal foil tape would have similar (enough) properties? That can be had for $3-5 roll at hardware/home centers. Totally OT, but I used the stuff for the fist time recently when installing some ductwork for a bathroom exhaust fan/heater/light I was putting in. Man is that awesome stuff! 100% better than duct tape.

Joel

Originally Posted By: FloatingBrick
I replaced the HD in my laptop and had to remove a piece of copper tape. It no longer has enough sticky to stay in place.

I called Radio Shack - no go. Any ideas where I might be able to buy a small role of this stuff?

Check stewmac.com for "conductive copper tape." A 1/4" wide roll roll that mayl last a lifetime costs about $2.50. You can get the tape in various width. Make sure the adhesive should be conductive in your application, because it is. I use it all the time.

Since I have never done that before......what is the tapes purpose and where was it located exactly?

Conductive tape is commonly used for shielding specific components inside electrical music instruments. I suppose it could serve shielding purposes in a computer, or maybe it's just being used instead of a wire. I use the tape where a wire wouldn't fit due to thickness. The tape can be soldered.

moribundman - Thanks for the link. Tape ordered.

ZZman - There were 2 pieces - one connecting the cooling unit to the frame and the other connecting the HD bracket to the DVD case. I am not positive, but I figure since it is a metal tape, it must provide a ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back