survey- who runs tires other than on placard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering, who runs tires of a differnt size other than what is on the placard of the vehicle. If so what is the size recomended on the placard and what do you run? If you have it handy or can think of it. Thanks in advance for everybody's response.

My 1995 GMC S-15 piskup came with 205/75 15, I switched to 225/70 15. They were a more appropriate tire for the factory rim width and made the Speedometer and odometer a bit more accurate. They were the tire GM should have put on at the factory.

Wife's 2000 Acura TL cam with some odd-ball size tire, we replaced the with a more common size when the factory tires wore out at 80k+ miles.

On my 96 Corvette I put rear size rims and tires on the front so all 4 wheels and tires were the same size. It really quickened turn in on corners and made the handling more neutral than stock.

Last edited:
I think I've run a different size than posted on just about every car I've owned. on a mazda 626 I had, IIRC the size was 205/55 15; I ran 205/60 15.
on my current mazda MPV, spec is 215/70 15; previous owner actually had 215/65 on it! I upped it to 225/75 15.

2001 Maxima OEM size 225/50R17, which is a somewhat odd (and pricy) size. Been running off spec 235/45s on the OEM rims (7 inch wide) since 2005 IIRC. No problems.

I'll be going with 185/70-14s next time on my 94 Corolla (stock is 185/65-14). My speedo is way too fast with the stock size. Plus, there's a ton more tire choices in the 70 series. Was even thinking of going 195/65-14.

OEM size 195/50-16 currently running 205/50-16. OEM size really limits choices.

OEM size 235/70-17 going to switch to 265/70-17. once again, OEM size really limits choices.

Thanks everybody for your responses so far. The reason I ask is due to my post "very dangerous tire bounce" in the maintinence section. I am having an ongoing argument with one particular person who has stated that I am endangering everyone on the road and am filling BITOG with B.S. Please refer to the mentioned post for details. When I get home tonight I will give you the exact size on the placard and what is on the truck now. I think the placard says P225/75R16xl psi 41 and I am running TOYO Open Country A/T P265/75R16 max psi 35. 2000 dodge ram 1500 single cab 4x4. When I get home I will let you know if the two sizes are exactly right. That again for the responses and please keep them coming. Calvin1 and Eljefino, are you listening?

Oh to add to the actual topic I am running 185/70r14s in place of 185/65r14 for all the reasons Drew pointed out, plus the added bonus a bit better mileage.

I have to run a slightly wider size for the wifes mazda5 to have better tire options.

1992 Jeep (mostly) Wrangler

OEM size: 205/75/15

Current size: 38x15.5 15

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650

On my 96 Corvette I put rear size rims and tires on the front so all 4 wheels and tires were the same size. It really quickened turn in on corners and made the handling more neutral than stock.

That is interesting. I have a 94, which was the 1st year they staggered the tire and rim sizes. It was done to improve on road stability and directional control. If you ordered the Z07 package (which my car has) than all 4 tires and rims were the same size. I bet your car looks "tougher" with the larger wheels all around!

I ran a slightly wider tire on my old Maxima. It handled and rode horribly with the factory spec'd size, and the wider size actually made the speedometer accurate.

Originally Posted By: vance1
I was wondering, who runs tires of a differnt size other than what is on the placard of the vehicle. If so what is the size recomended on the placard and what do you run? If you have it handy or can think of it. Thanks in advance for everybody's response.

Every almost vechicle I own or owned, I always went a tad larger with tires when due for replacements of the stocks. Never radical, usually just a tad wider, but always did it so the tire was the same diameter by dropping the aspect ratio to match. The only time I went way over is on my 78 Jeep CJ. It came with tiny old bias ply (I think they were 28") tires. Now has 33x12.50's.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

That is interesting. I have a 94, which was the 1st year they staggered the tire and rim sizes. It was done to improve on road stability and directional control. If you ordered the Z07 package (which my car has) than all 4 tires and rims were the same size. I bet your car looks "tougher" with the larger wheels all around!

IIRC, if you got the all 4 the same size option, they were only one size smaller than the rears I put on all 4. Probably looked about the same.

These pictures are from March 2006 when I was selling it. It found a nice home in Fort Saskatchawan, Alberta. The new owner has even emailed nme a few times to let me know he's taking good care of it.
thumbsup2.gif

P1020832.jpg

P1020852.jpg

P1020855.jpg

I would have kept it except we like to travel a lot and the C4 Verts didn't have a trunk, only a small package shelf behind the seats.

I run tiny 155/80R13 snow tires on my old Neon, speedo reads 10% high, but the lighter weight and gearing reduction makes the car noticebly quicker. Stock size is 185/65R14.
As long as you make sure the tires have enough load rating(when going smaller) or don't rub (when going bigger), I don't think you can get into much trouble unless you mismatch sizes front to back. Even then, place the tires for understeer and you should be fine.
Ian

"I'll be going with 185/70-14s next time on my 94 Corolla (stock is 185/65-14). My speedo is way too fast with the stock size. Plus, there's a ton more tire choices in the 70 series. Was even thinking of going 195/65-14."

Drew, I was just going to post that.
I had a '98 Corolla with 185/65-14 and I replaced with 185/70-14... car looked great but DID NOT LIKE the new size. Tried 3 different sets.. finally went back to original Michelin 185/65-14 and car rode/performed like new.

Hard to describe how Corolla acted with 70 series but it WAS NOT favorable.

P.B.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
"I'll be going with 185/70-14s next time on my 94 Corolla (stock is 185/65-14). My speedo is way too fast with the stock size. Plus, there's a ton more tire choices in the 70 series. Was even thinking of going 195/65-14."

Drew, I was just going to post that.
I had a '98 Corolla with 185/65-14 and I replaced with 185/70-14... car looked great but DID NOT LIKE the new size. Tried 3 different sets.. finally went back to original Michelin 185/65-14 and car rode/performed like new.

Hard to describe how Corolla acted with 70 series but it WAS NOT favorable.

P.B.

That's good to know!
11.gif
Perhaps I'll just stick to the factory size. I'm sure a taller sidewall would reduce cornering prowess a tad. My speedo is off by a good 5 mph at 75 mph though which is what I wanted to correct. It is nice having that safety factor though for speed traps - if I go through one at an indicated 80 mph, I know I'm safe (75 mph speed limit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back