DVD Rom in laptop has choppy video playback

Status
Not open for further replies.
device manager, I have
Trident CyberAladdin-P4 v6.4612.22ICD_SE_NP

driver 6.14.1.10

it helps a little bit, still a little noticeable. but My CPU is at 100% with powerdvd taking 95%-99% while running. is it because my video card sucks? anything else I can do?

Last edited:
Yep, it's because your video card sucks. Not much you can do bud, the card offers no acceleration
frown.gif

It's not all bad. With the 16 bit color setting, dvd player plays perfectly. at least I found a solution. Thanks for helping.
cheers3.gif

No prob. It's basically that the card is literally unable to play 16M colours in video at a reasonable frame-rate. When you drop it down to 65K colours, it can.

Horrendous solution really; They should never have shipped that card in a system with a DVD-ROM drive.

I have a similar setup as yours but a desktop. P4 3 gigahertz 512 ram. Mine is overclocked and the memory is at a higher speed, but should be in ballpark of your system.

Have you tried Windows Media Player instead of PowerDVD? The WMP9 that comes default with XP will play DVD's. I checked CPU usage with WMP9 and I'm only getting 12% to 18% CPU utilization. Another alternative is to try WinDVD which usually has a free trial download.

Originally Posted By: Bobert
I have a similar setup as yours but a desktop. P4 3 gigahertz 512 ram. Mine is overclocked and the memory is at a higher speed, but should be in ballpark of your system.

Have you tried Windows Media Player instead of PowerDVD? The WMP9 that comes default with XP will play DVD's. I checked CPU usage with WMP9 and I'm only getting 12% to 18% CPU utilization. Another alternative is to try WinDVD which usually has a free trial download.

Yeah, I used windows media player. I'm getting the same CPU useage. 95-99%, same as powerdvd. do you have the same trident video card?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
No prob. It's basically that the card is literally unable to play 16M colours in video at a reasonable frame-rate. When you drop it down to 65K colours, it can.

Horrendous solution really; They should never have shipped that card in a system with a DVD-ROM drive.

I'm thinking of unloading this laptop on flee bay because the video card sucks. Especially since it's xmas season.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

Yeah, I used windows media player. I'm getting the same CPU useage. 95-99%, same as powerdvd. do you have the same trident video card?

No it's a old Geforce 4 card but Nvidia drivers are pretty refined.

Have you updated the chipset drivers from Intel? There is a utility you can download to identify your chipset (ChipUtil.exe on at Intel site). Then there is a combo pack that will update your USB, HD controller, chipset etc. The file name is infinst_autol.exe ~ 2.5 MB which is also available on Intel's site. I'm not sure if this will help, but you never know. You might have to reset your DMA settings in Device Manager after the update, but double check just in case.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

No it's a old Geforce 4 card but Nvidia drivers are pretty refined.

Have you updated the chipset drivers from Intel? There is a utility you can download to identify your chipset (ChipUtil.exe on at Intel site). Then there is a combo pack that will update your USB, HD controller, chipset etc. The file name is infinst_autol.exe ~ 2.5 MB which is also available on Intel's site. I'm not sure if this will help, but you never know. You might have to reset your DMA settings in Device Manager after the update, but double check just in case.

Bobert: He's got a video card which makes your GeForce 4 look like a McLaren F1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back