Saturn SL1 2001 bearing or transmission noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to diagnose a noise on my SL1 which has roughly 100K miles. It has developed a gradual noise that over time got louder and louder, at first glance I thought that it was a wheel bearing noise. Took it to a mechanic and he told me that the trammy is making the noise once it shifts into 4th. Yes the noise is only happening at highway or freeway speeds 45+ when 4th shifts in. So the question, do these cars have some kind of a known problem with transmissions, or any king of transmission defects? I will have to take it for a second opinion to see what the deal is. Trammy shifts fine in each individual gear including the 4th, and my last UOA 30K or so was stellar. Could something have happened with the planetary gears? Or could it be a trammy bearing? I will have to pull out some oil for UOA and go from there. Never heard that noise before, so I am not trying to get a diagnosis here as it is impossible to describe any noises, have any of our Saturn drivers run into the same problem?

I have owned many Saturns. From 1996 to 2001 models. This is a wheel bearing problem 98% of the time. The noise travels to the tranny making it seem like the trans. Saturn wheel bearings fail at a high rate. Most mechanics can not tell excatly where the noise is from. I had all four replaced in my 2001 and problem solved. Even the Saturn Dealership was fooled.
Almost forgot, it is making noise in other gears its just that it does not get loud enough for you to hear until faster speeds. I would recommend replacing both front bearings if you can afford it.

Last edited:
I've had a noise before on my '96 SL2's transmission, but it was only during the 1-2 shift.

I had a transmission leak at the time and I did not know how to properly check the fluid level. It turns out that I was about 1.5 quarts low! I had been operating that way for a good 15k miles. Once I corrected the fluid level, I never heard the noise again.

Yeah, exactly what I have suspected. To me it sounds like a bearing noise, as it is hard for me to believe that a transmission would make noise ONLY in 4th, this is my mom’s car so I’ll have to listen carefully as I am not use to this car.

What should one expect to pay for a bearing replacement? I know there are cheap, medium and high quality bearings. We’ve discussed these here before, what were the high quality manufacturers?

Fluid is clean, but I will pull out for a UOA to confirm that nothing is wrong with the trammy, if the noise is coming from the trammy then there should be a spike in metal wear.

I will have to go for a second opinion.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00

Almost forgot, it is making noise in other gears its just that it does not get loud enough for you to hear until faster speeds. I would recommend replacing both front bearings if you can afford it.

This was my gut feeling from day one.

IT depends on the shop. Saturn used to charge $150 a wheel. Its not the bearing its the labor. I have a shop that will do it for $100 a wheel but he is honest.
Before I knew better I had one shop charge $800 for two!
Shop around.
A UOA is always helpful. But it has its limits.
I would use the cheapest honest shop. Because even if you put in very high quailty bearings they are going to fail again. Just a matter of time.

Last edited:
Front bearing needs a real press to put in. (Or get a whole knuckle from the junkyard)

You may be able to half-DIY, pull the knuckle, and have a shop press the new one in.

Hammer=fail.

When you are at the speed where the noise is occurring, drop it down a gear or two to see if it goes away.
This can help determine if it is a tranny , axle, or wheel bearing problem.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
When you are at the speed where the noise is occurring, drop it down a gear or two to see if it goes away.
This can help determine if it is a tranny , axle, or wheel bearing problem.

I will have to perform this test as well.

One more possibility: [secondary]
Some noise can be exhaust resonance, and sounds like the hum of an early wheel bearing failure.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Front bearing needs a real press to put in. (Or get a whole knuckle from the junkyard)

You may be able to half-DIY, pull the knuckle, and have a shop press the new one in.

Hammer=fail.

Many NAPA shops have machinists that can do this for a fee.

The last time I had this done, I had a wheel bearing pressed into the spindle of a Ford Windstar van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back