floor pump recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll check I there's a part or model number on it. If you have tires that require more than 100 psi, then this pump is not for you.

I bought a Blackburn about 8 years ago. This fall the head suddenly wouldn't stay on the valve. I went to my LBS's looking for an easy fix. Not getting any satisfaction there, I called the company looking for replacement parts. They told me they no longer made that model, but if I sent the defective unit in, they would send me a replacement.

Believe it or not I found the original box, and on the front it said - 'Lifetime Warranty'. So $8 and 10 days later I had a new pump.

Imagine that, a company that actually lives up to it's promises! Obviously I will be a Blackburn customer for a very long time.

I ended up getting a SKS Rennkompressor for $50 from Sports Basement. It has a auto shrader/presta head, wooden handle and it is stable since the base is heavy. It is made in Germany according to the packaging.

Some pics below.
sksor2.jpg

Max pressure 230psi/16bar, reads in 10psi or 0.5bar increments. Not that I rely on the gauge.
sksor3.jpg

Good warranty.
sksor1.jpg

The question is more, what don't they test?
grin2.gif

They test and certify:

- product safety
- product functionality
- compliance with standards (DIN, ISO, etc)
- compliance of the product with applicable laws

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TÜV

I'm just ribbing you when I ask for TÜV approval. Whether or not the TÜV has tested the pump says ultimately little, and not having been TÜV-tested doesn't imply it's not a good product.

I suppose its about cost Is your Hella foot pump TUV tested? I can't really find much information about the Hella pump. Slime also make a dual cylinder pump which I can't find anywhere in stores, dual cylinder foot pumps must be rare. Most places only carry those flismy single cylinder ones.

So far it works great. The long hose is great as I don't need to turn the wheel to get the stem to the right position. This thing weights probably a little under 5 pounds and is very stable. Pumping up tires is nice and consistent so higher pressures don't require a lot of effort. It takes about the same amount of strokes to get the same amount as most other pumps I've used.

The head is self adaptable so it works with both shrader, presta and dunlop valves makes it a bit tricky the first time. Since I'm primarily using it for schrader valves I can only comment on that. You need to push the head in all the way until you feel it contact with something inside and the lever will be much easier to lock on. If its not on all the way the lever will be hard to press down. Very little air is loss when connecting and disconnecting. When disconnecting the head it might seem like you lose quite a bit of air but its because the hose is primed with air. And the gauge mounted on the bottom in addition to a large range a bit hard to see, however its fairly accurate though when I checked with my digital gauge. The advantage of the gauge on bottom is less prone to breakage if the pump falls. This one also has a rubber protector around it.

Yes, the Hella pump is TÜV-tested, probably because it's primarily a car tire pump, and people will look for the TÜV logo. The pump works great for bike tires (and Schrader valves) up to 100 psi and for all kinds of inflatables (rafts, air mattresses etc). Above that, a bike pump is superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back