Craftsman Push Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a used Craftsman push mower with a 6.75hp Briggs engine on it. The manual says in >32*F use 30wt oil. I have about 2.5 qts Rotella 5w40 left over from our Jeep. I am wondering if the 5w40 will hurt anything.

Advise

If I remember the specs correctly, that R-T 5w40 flows better cold than any 30wt would and should hold up better in extreme heat.

Joel

Sounds good. We will be getting rid of the Jeep, and it probably won't be needing an oil change. If it does I certainly won't spend the money on a synthetic change for it. I didn't even do that this time as I was appalled that Rotella 5w40 is now $22 a gallon. MaxLife it is.

what is everyones thought on using Redline 10w30? I normally use redline 10w40, but I have ran out and only have 10w30 left.

same B&S 6.75hp motor

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I use M1 EP 10-30 in my Honda. 5yrs. So far;so good.

How many hours before changing the oil?

I used Mobil 1 5W30 oil in my 2000 model Craftsman with the Honda 5.5 hp engine, up until my supply of old formula M1 SL ran out last year. Now, I have changed over to the M1 High Mileage 10W30, which is still SL. I change oil once a year, at about 60 to 65 hours. (I have an hour meter on my mower). It has never been down more than a sixteenth of an inch in oil level in a year, which can probably be attributed to regularly checking of the oil level and wiping of the dipstick.

You know, Briggs & Stratton's number 1 recommendation for its engines is synthetic 5W30 for ALL temperatures. They sell synthetic under their own name brand, and it, like the Amsoil oil for small engines is an SL formulation.

I ended up using the redline 10w30 because I only had about 3/4 of a quart sitting on the shelf. It was either that, or open a new bottle of GC. After about one full hour of mowing, with no motor shut-downs, I pulled the dip stick to feel the temp of the oil and it was hot, but not to hot to touch. My infered temperature gun said the oil was 177f degrees. this was all within 30 seconds of turning the motor off.

outside temps that day was around 45 degrees. one thing I did notice though, was that the oil would easily drip off the dipstick

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1999nick
I used Mobil 1 5W30 oil in my 2000 model Craftsman with the Honda 5.5 hp engine, up until my supply of old formula M1 SL ran out last year. Now, I have changed over to the M1 High Mileage 10W30, which is still SL. I change oil once a year, at about 60 to 65 hours. (I have an hour meter on my mower). It has never been down more than a sixteenth of an inch in oil level in a year, which can probably be attributed to regularly checking of the oil level and wiping of the dipstick.

You know, Briggs & Stratton's number 1 recommendation for its engines is synthetic 5W30 for ALL temperatures. They sell synthetic under their own name brand, and it, like the Amsoil oil for small engines is an SL formulation.

Thats good to know. Ive got about 8 years worth of Amsoil Small engine 10W30/30W...i was pleased how clean it was when i changed it last week.

I change the oil 2x per year. Dec after last mow and in July at mid season. Probably 30 hours per oci.

that mower have a tan deck?? If so, this particular peice of ---? equipment made me swear off all gasoline powered Craftsman masterpieces for good
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back