Sick of this Machine. (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in Febuary, I felt like I had a bunch of money burning a hole in my pocket, so I dropped it on a computer for heavy duty gaming business. Bleh.
Heres what I built:
Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 AM2 MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2GHz (Windsor) CPU
4x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066
4x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD
Highpoint RocketRAID 3510 (added later)
PC P&C 750W PS
ATi Radeon HD 3870
Creative X-Fi
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Pretty good at first, loved the speed. Then a couple weeks later I started having crashes until finally it would not boot, ran some tests, bad stick of ram. Pulled the offending stick and kept chugging.
Within about a week of that all 4 sticks were bad. Im thinking, okay, I got a bad lot. Mind you I played with the timings some, but never touched the voltage beyond setting it to Crucial's recommended, 2.1V. I purchased 2GB of Corsair ram until I could get the Crucial stuff replaced under warranty. While I was trying to sort out the RAM business, I discovered what appeared to be two bad hdds. I initally had the 4 seagates in 0+1 on the onboard RAID. I took them off the onboard RAID and tested them, they were good. Appearantly, the cheap onboard controller likes to loose sync with the HDDs. I bought the highpoint controller at this point and set them up as a RAID 5. Works good now, pretty much trouble free except occasionally the BIOS does not find it and complains about no boot disk. Usually a reboot fixes this.
I finally got the ram back from crucial and install it.
About a month later that stuff was toast as well.
I threw in 2GB on OCZ DDR2 800 that was incompatible with another machine to get it running again.
In the mean time, I built another machine using a free 3.2GHz HT pentium 4 and a old copy of windows XP home. The rest of the essentials ran me $360. I used the Corsair DDR2 from the other machine after I got the Crucial stuff back.
The kicker, I swear the P4 machine is faster at everything except at something that requires a lot of raw graphics power, and I suspect only because I spent about $80 on the card for the P4 machine.
frown.gif

Now my latest problem is it refuses to see the Highpoint, will not boot. I shut it off and have not touched it for 3 weeks. I have not done any diagnostics to find the source of the problem. I swear if it burned another 2GB of ram I will take the thing sans HDD setup and PS and put a series of 9mm holes in it...

Sorry, had to rant.

I'm supposed to get 4 GB of RAM ordered from crucial.com for two pcs this xmas too....It would be just my luck..

have you did the ram mem test?

Last edited:
I had problems with HighPoint's RAID controllers. At work, I have a Dell PE750 (pizza box) 1U server with a 6-port SATA RAID card. 2 ports are for RAID-1 for the internal array, the other array is an external RAID-5 array with 4 Seagate 400GB SATA drives. It works, but it's SLOW, even with 128MB of RAM cache.

I no longer purchase HighPoint products as the performance is dismal compared to the 3-Ware cards I have been using.

Welcome to the fun with NVidia chipsets.

They make great video cards. Not so great chipsets.

There's a reason that an Intel CPU on a board with an Intel chipset is the most reliable........

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Welcome to the fun with NVidia chipsets.

There's a reason that an Intel CPU on a board with an Intel chipset is the most reliable........

+1. I steer away from nVidia chipsets wherever possible. I bought an AMD motherboard recently, it has the AMD chipset, very easy to deal with.

Actually, the computer Im complaining about has the AMD 790FX chipset. Im wondering if it isnt something with the board...

I have not had a problem with nVidia chipsets anyway. In fact when I threw together a computer for my mom a month ago with a spare Athlon XP, I specifically seeked out an nForce 2 chipset mobo off ebay...

The ATI/AMD chipsets are a very recent development as well.... Not any better than the NVidia chipsets. Hit and miss, though I have yet to hear of IDE corruption like was commonplace with certain generations of the NVidia chipsets.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

+1. I steer away from nVidia chipsets wherever possible. I bought an AMD motherboard recently, it has the AMD chipset, very easy to deal with.

This is good to know.

Yikes! Sure sounds like you've been snake-bit on that rig. Gigabyte normally makes pretty good products and I would not expect this one to be any different. Since you keep blowing memory, I would try undervolting your memory and see if it is stable. The 2.1 volts that many memory vendors specify now-a-days is kinda high for a DDR2 standard that calls for 1.8 volts. They do it to get tighter memory timings and more memory speed but I wonder how long the memory chips can stand the higher voltage. Combine that with a motherboard that may be slightly over-volting the sticks beyond the 2.1 and you have a disaster.

I've built numerous AMD and Intel rigs and I sure find the Intel setups have fewer nuisance problems. Not to mention you can overclock the snot out of Intel chips now-a-days and that's just plain fun!

I can barely get it to run at this point. It wont see the highpoint half the time and when it does it will not boot. By the hdd light I have plugged in to the highpoint it does not do much except bring up the windows logo for 5 minutes then reboot.. I cannot even get it to load up a boot cd to do some tests. Out of curiosity I pulled the X-fi do see if that was doing something funny since sound stopped working before it quit this last time. Didnt help. Also, maybe 20% of the time I will press the power button and get nothing, no bios, no power on to the screen, just idling with the fans and hdds spinning. Im about ready to buy new MB/CPU/RAM/video and call it my combo christmas present to my mom/brother/me. :p

I was running my Ballistix at 1113Mhz (667 sticks) at 2.0V on this board (Maximus Formula). And while there have been bad batches of them, your experience is just horrendous.

If you are going new, grab a Core2Duo or a Core2Quad. You won't be disappointed.

Edit: and put it on a board with an Intel chipset.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, thats what I was looking at OK.
ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA With Intel X48 chipset
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz
While Im at it....
Asus Dark knight Radeon HD 4870 1GB
I was looking at some OCZ 2x1GB DDR2 1200 kits for ram. Have integrated air heatsinks with water cooling barbs, in case I want to go that route.
Hate to do it.

That sounds awesome! I have the MAXIMUS FORMULA (X38) with the BIOS from the RAMPAGE on it, fantastic boards, just fantastic!

That Radeon is also a good card, sold one a couple months ago for another quad build for a client, same CPU as well. This went on a P5E3 Deluxe Wifi, basically the same board, DDR3 and the like, but with WIFI on-board.

System has been fantastic for him, and I know you'll be pleased.

I have an old Abit board with an integrated Highpoint controller, and the Highpoint controller is extremely flaky. I won't put any disks on it because of problems with corruption. The standard IDE controller is fine, but Highpoint is complete c r a p. Needless to say I would never buy any board that had Highpoint ever again.

Its very very tempting. I just want to be able to use it. have not hardly been able to use it for a couple months now since even when it does it just seemed slow. Might be able to get a little back on the CPU and HD3870 it has by selling them. Do you know of a good cooler for that CPU? I see some comments that the stock one sucks.

I'm running a Coolermaster on mine (can't remember the model # off the top of my head). It's on a Core2Quad Q6600 (2.4Ghz) at 3.47Ghz right now. Temps currently are in the mid 30's......

This is not an onboard card, its an 8xPCIe card with 800MHz cpu and I think 256MB ram. I have had problems with onboard RAID as well because they are software solutions that rely on the host CPU/ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back