Buying First Sidearm! What to get???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!
I am 21 January 7th. I am going to apply for my carry Permit then, in Philadelphia(should get the permit 20-50 days later :()
I am buying my firearm in one month.
My first choice is a Glock 27 (40 cal subcompact)
or
Sprigfield XD subcompact 40 cal.
I like the Glock for its tried and true preformance.
I like the Springfield for its great preformance and futhermore its very small design.
I would get the glock 27 but I do not like the 2 finger grip. Thats why I am leaning to the Springfield
But then again I could get the extended magazine for the 27 to make it a 3 finger grip.
But then again the Springfield is about $100 cheaper.

Both are great firearms. Who has either one? Can anyone give me some feedback from the use of there XD or 27?

Thanks guys!!!

Take a look at the Colt New Agent.

Picture045.jpg

45 caliber power in a small package.

I own a Glock but they are patently unsafe with the lack of safety.

Just ask this DEA agent.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ain2by4Fums

I do not like the full metal frame. I want something light and comfy to wear. My dad has a 1911 Para 45acp. Way to heavy.
If this firearm is not small, light, easy to carry I will not carry it all the time, and that just defeats the point.

I want to stick to the S&W 40. It is a strong load, but easy in recoil and rapid fire situations.

Very nice piece though!

I personally like the glocks "trigger" safty. I REALLY like Springfields trigger and in grip "palm" safties.

I am getting one of these, not for performance necessarily but for excellent feel, compactness, and very easy side thumb safety. And, they are made in a 9mm, .40, and .45 and all cost the same at the local sporting goods store for about $300--

Edit-- and they have a lifetime warranty (on the gun, no matter how many owners). Academy Sporting Goods carries them around here, super-light and great feel.

taurus_mill_pro.jpg

When I turned 21 I went out and bought a .40 cal Glock (full size) I liked the increased power of the .40 and the high capacity. I then shot several 9mm guns (glock, springfield, beretta) and liked them better. I recommend getting a 9mm for a first gun. You get lower ammo cost, less recoil, and will probably be happier with it. Just my 2 cents after owning over 50 handguns through the years... also, 9mm defensive ammo is just as good as .40 cal nowadays (Federal HST, Speer Golddots, Winchester Ranger T being the top three loads)

Totally agree bubba. Plus, a 9mm pistol loaded with modern +p ammunition with modern hollowpoint bullets will pack all the power you'll need. Something like doubletap 115 grain gold dots will make someone wish they hadn't [censored] with you.

I have shot many rounds out of that PT111 its ok, the trigger feels very cheap. My buddy has sent his back(9mm) twice for having hair line cracks in the rear of the plastic grip. I can only imagine how many times I might have to send it back with a 40 cal.
The pt111 is a nice "first timer gun" but I(not bragging) have a better spread at 50feet then some of Philadelphias finest.

I have shot many 9mm rounds out of many fire arms,

I like the feel and extra powder of the 40 cal. I have been shooting fire arms since I was 13.
My dad took me shooting 2x a week. Every thing from his rugar 22
to his Para 1911 45acp, to his 357 mag Python, to his beretta 9mm.
At the range I have shot the glock 23 and the S&W 40 cal.

My friends dad is a head trainer at the Philadelphia Police Academy. I have spent many Many hours at the police range shooting the glock 19.

I have done my research. I am getting either the glock 27 or the Sprigfield XD subcompact 40 cal.

I am 80% sure its gonna be the Springfield.
I am just wondering if anyone here has either one of these firearms.

S&W M&P 40C would be my choice (and is what I carry). My wife carries the 9C and with proper ammo it is very good.

Nice shooter, metal sites, (Glocks are plastic) feels better in the hand, adjustable grip, supported barrel and made in USA (which will be very important in the next few years)

I had quite a few Glocks and they are all gone. The Smith and Wesson have improved on the competition quite a bit. Go out and shoot both.

One thing I do want to inject. As someone who owns a few Taurus, make sure it is right BEFORE you buy it. If it requires repairs it will cost you $$ to ship it both ways and you will be without it for a LONG time. Then when you receive it back, pray that it is fixed.

My Dad had a 40cal semi auto (something 24) and it took 3 times and a YEAR to get it repaired. Over $130 in shipping it back and forth.

I only own wheel guns made by Taurus and both of them (.38 and .44 mag) are good guns. But they are not even close to a Ruger, S&W as far as fit and finish. They are cheaper.

Take care, bill

I have considered the S&W M&P 40c. Very nice side arm.

I would not get a Taurus for my sidearm. I agree Bill, shipping back and forth (with insurance) can get old REAL quick.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=66

this is what Iam more or less getting (all black model)

If anyone here has one, please tell me what you think of it.

I love the look, feel, and name. Many people that have them claim there of equal reliability and quality to the glock.

Its everything im looking for. Very small, hammerless, trigger safety and a grip saftey like a 1911 (not needed, but added bonus) and a Great price new.

I really like my newly acquired glock 19 and Sig P229DAK. Both are very good sizes.

My suggestion: go down to Targetmaster on 202 just north of the DE state line, and shoot a LOT of guns. They rent a very nice variety. This might help you out a bit.

I dont carry, but for a first gun, my choice was a S&W 686 revolver. I love that gun. I have to say though, the simple plainness of the glock 19 and the feel of the sig p229 are really tough to beat.

I won a kimber 1911 custom tactical that is a great gun. However I agree that it is not something Id want to be lugging...

Targetmaster has good cash prices, but i have a guy in NJ that has REALLY good prices. I dont know if you would be able to buy and take it up the AC expressway into PA though...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I have considered the S&W M&P 40c. Very nice side arm.

I would not get a Taurus for my sidearm. I agree Bill, shipping back and forth (with insurance) can get old REAL quick.

Remember that you HAVE to ship handguns OVERNIGHT with UPS or FEDEX. (that is because they have a major theft problem with THEIR employees and overnight ($40-$50 each way) is the only way to find out who is stealing the weapons).

Amazing that we have to pay more since they can not control their employees.

Bill

PS: Be concerned about foreign made weapons.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I really like my newly acquired glock 19 and Sig P229DAK. Both are very good sizes.

My suggestion: go down to Targetmaster on 202 just north of the DE state line, and shoot a LOT of guns. They rent a very nice variety. This might help you out a bit.

I dont carry, but for a first gun, my choice was a S&W 686 revolver. I love that gun. I have to say though, the simple plainness of the glock 19 and the feel of the sig p229 are really tough to beat.

I won a kimber 1911 custom tactical that is a great gun. However I agree that it is not something Id want to be lugging...

Targetmaster has good cash prices, but i have a guy in NJ that has REALLY good prices. I dont know if you would be able to buy and take it up the AC expressway into PA though...

Na, i gotta buy in PA. I go to Targetmasters all the time. I take my mossberg 500 there alot.

My buddy goes to a small place in Bensalem(close to me) they sell new glocks for $545. Cant beat that price!!!
I am going to shop around. I am buying new. If I can get a Glock 27(even the 23 would work to) for under $550 I might have to go with the Glock.
I feel like a kid in a candystore!!!

A little to big.

I need small and light.

But very nice looking gun. If I was looking for a fuller size gun, I would look into that.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
There is little reason to chose .40S&W over 9mm anymore. Bullet design trumps diameter.

What happens when you put the new super duper bullet design into a bigger bullet?

To the OP, I have a compact XD40 and am very happy with it.

Check the Glock grip angle before you buy. It does not sit well with many people including me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back