THE BEST SNOW tires/car

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was 20F going down 69 HWY, snow squalls, shoulder covered, center partly bare. Various 4WD trucks, 4WD Hondas, 4WD FourRunner, etc, all in a chain, hogging the partly bare passing zone in the passing lane, only the regular lane on the right clear of traffic, because it has 6" of snow on it. Traffic going 35 mph.
I pointed the Subaru Impreza, 2008 wagon, with electronic stability control and 4 speed automatic, with the 205/55R16 Dunlop M3, 7/32" tread on front, 5/32" tread on rear, on their third season, I pointed it to the regular snow covered lane, on the right, slightly openened the throttle, and without ANY complaint from the vehicle, NO slipping, it went to 45mph, and I easily passed 10 vehicles, passing on the right. With just three more vehicles ahead, we were back on the regular 2-lane part of the highway. I waited a bit, then throttled it to pass. The vehicle encountered various ridges of snow, piled up from the traffic, but DID NOT COMPLAIN or skid at all. It easily took off, just like it was on dry pavement, and passed everyone in a jiffy. Soon we were up to another 4WD truck. Despite falling snow, mainly snow covered road, passing it was a breeze. The car easily moved from partly bare, to snow covered, across ridges of snow; after another hour we were further south, and we were driving on slush, the car was cruising at 70mph with no hint of hydroplaning, on slush.

Never had a more beautiful car. I love my Subaru. Thank you Dunlop for the M3 tires. Even though they are worn down 50%, they make driving on snow feel like dry pavement. Once it had a slight sideways slip of the back end - it almost instantly went back to a perfect straight line. What was usually white knuckle driving, was a pleasant and relaxed experience, as it blew away all traffic IN REAL WORLD NORTHERN ONTARIO lake effect snow conditions. All other North American, European, and Asian were far behind. No wonder Detroit is going bankrupt. They need to hire a few Japanese engineers.

My wife has a 2008 outback limited with the limited slip rear end and firestone's winterforce tires , it's will go anywhere you point the car , its a beast!, long live the soobie's!

That's funny. When I saw this thread in the quick list, I thought it was going to be someone asking what the best car and tires would be for the snow. I was all set to come in and suggest a Subaru sedan with Blizzaks or Winter Sport M3s...

I would have liked to been there with you. I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzak on my Wrangler and would liked to have either followed or lead you through that. I have always had great performance from Blizzak tires on anything I've used them on.

Subaru's AWD + any decent snow tire = win!

Our previous 96, wearing 205/70/15 Uniroyal Tigerpaws [generic all-seasons at best] only got stuck once. When the snow was too deep for the car to push through and a good deal of ice was involved.

We now have a 2003 Outback and I look forward to testing it in the snow. Although the current tires don't thrill me, 225/60/16 Bridgestone Potenza G009's...they'll be tolerable, but not what I want. Can't waste brand new tires though.

I can't wait to put a set of Hydroedge or TripleTreads on this car, as we're kinda stuck with only being able to have a single set of tires. Otherwise there would be a set of Nokian's and a lot of playing :)

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
We now have a 2003 Outback and I look forward to testing it in the snow. Although the current tires don't thrill me, 225/60/16 Bridgestone Potenza G009's...

Didn't you say they were the 960s?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1293585#Post1293585

Back to the original post... you guys are making me jealous. I really miss my old A4q when I read stories like that, especially seeing snow outside my window.

I was driving around Chicago last night with the RE960s on. Traction control was kicking in at every takeoff...

The G009 and RE960AS are different tires. I actually used both on my old Maxima, oddly enough.

I hated the G009. It was good in the rain and had good steering response, but the ride, noise, and traction were [censored].

The RE960AS PP was the best tire I used on that car by what felt like an order of magnitude. Ride quality was great, wet and dry traction were incredible, and snow traction was as as good as I got with the ContiExtremeContact I had used before, even despite being wider (225/50/16 for the RE960AS vs. 205/65/15 for the Conti).

I still like my 84 1 ton ford 6.9 diesel with locking hubs. With a scoop of gravel in the bed and pulling a 16 foot trailer full of straw or hay...I can plow through 2 ft. of snow in low 4 wheel drive...........Ugh! I use Toyo M3 year round.

My 2007 Outback with Goodyear Triple Treads sticks in snow and ice beyond description.

One day last year, I took the Outback to work and while it took 5 1/2 HOURS to go 50 miles, I passed on serious grades 4x4 trucks slipping to a point they could not proceed, semis with chains that had to pull over due to being stuck.

The Outback did not slip ONCE. Going around stuck vehicles and having to jump a 6-8 inch berm of snow between lanes it still stuck. While I never got to 45mph on that trip, I did get up to 25 mph at times (very short distances until the next stuck vehicles) it was solid.

Love the car. Hate the motor. Too complex for a 4cyl motor.

Take care, Bill

Went with a set of german made General Altimax Arctic's for my 03 saturn ion.

They are a quieter tire than my all season firestones (junk), and they have been great in heavy snow.

Not bad for a front wheel drive car with no limited slip diff..

I find that most people who have trouble on the road in winter are trying to get by with "3" season tires that are half worn out.I believe there is no such thing as an all season tire. You need a dedicated snow tire for safe winter driving.
I like Firestone Winter force tires, noisy, but real good traction.
Our Civic goes where other's cant with all season's.

Quote:
I find that most people who have trouble on the road in winter are trying to get by with "3" season tires that are half worn out.

Not helped by the fact that the talking heads on tv and radio only parrot the 'slow down' portion of "safe driving" whenever the snow flies. Even the cops don't do anything to get people to consider good winter tires.

Quote:
I pointed it to the regular snow covered lane, on the right, slightly openened the throttle, and without ANY complaint from the vehicle

At least they where courteous enough to drive in a lane. 'Round here they tend to straddle lanes, so even with your pre-planning for the winter you are trapped behind a row of inconsiderate monkeys who have no buisness being on the road.

Alex.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
We now have a 2003 Outback and I look forward to testing it in the snow. Although the current tires don't thrill me, 225/60/16 Bridgestone Potenza G009's...

Didn't you say they were the 960s?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1293585#Post1293585

*ahem* Yes, yes I did. I was mistaken. I posted by my guess on the tread pattern and then noticed my mistaken the next time I took the car out. BTW, you're another Chicago native?

My best snow set-up was recently a A4 quattro Avant with tall 205/65-15 Viking Stop 5000s, it was insane. I could lay the car on it's pan in < a foot of thick slush and drive right out without any slip.

My old VW Quantum Syncro was pretyy good too, with it's fully locking center and rear diffs plus Michelin Artic Alphins. I could climb our sledding hill in 2 feet of snow.

If it were me all alone, a stick shift 3/4 ton plow truck, appropriately jacked up, with manual transfer case and appropriate, narrow 15-16" 70-80 series tires.

If I had to fight traffic, something a few inches wider than my saturn wagon, so I fit in the ruts better. Wagons typically have better front/rear weight distribution, and I love the rear wiper/washers!

Subarus seem to do very well in a variety of conditions, but not necessarily in all as weight matters in some cases. I've seen lighter vehicles on ice close to freezing, even with chains, a coworker in a Subaru included, end up off the road. My 3/4 ton is like a tank once it's chained up, being able to get up ice covered fairly step hills. The truck also has better ground clearance so it handles deeper snow a bit better than some other types of vehicles. In 'regular' winter conditions a lighter vehicle with good weight distribution will tend to do better, but in more extreme conditions a heavier 4x4 seems like a better bet.

I daily drive my modded 3000GT VR4 year round. All-wheel drive twin turbo. For the past 3 winters, I was running Nokian's Hakka RSi. Great snow tires. Excellent traction in the snow, good cornering ability and great control mid-drift. I would actually have used them again this winter but i got a puncture in ONE tire last Spring that was unrepairable and that necessitated changing all 4 to keep the differentials happy with identical rolling circumference.

Got the newer model Hakka R and I have to say, Nokian makes incredible winter tires. With both the Hakka RSi and Hakka R, I only really realize how bad conditions are when I step out of the car. had a couple of times when I'm driving normally and wondering why everyone else is going so darned slow and I finally stop and get out of the car only to realize that there's ice everywhere as I almost fall on my behind as my shoes/boots slip and slide.

According to Nokian, they only release a new iteration of their tires when the new model exceeds the previous model by 15% in testing. The first thing I noticed with the Hakka R is that they're definitely more stable on dry pavement (where the RSi was already better than Blizzak WS-50's). Tested them in some sow and icy conditions as well and they're great. Can't say I noticed a huge difference in snowy conditions from the RSi, and I haven't tried them in enough ice yet to see the difference, but I noticed that the Hakka sipes look a little different than the RSi's. They seem to have a void in the sipes to help suck water off the road. I first noticed the difference driving on wet asphalt (in the rain). They actually making a sucking sound that is different from any other tires I've driven on. Definitely curious to see how they do on completely iced up roads.

As far as Bridgestone Blizzak vs Nokian Hakkapeliitta. The Blizzaks in winter conditions (ice or snow) felt about as good as the Hakka's, but wore down really fast. The Blizzaks were great the first winter, OK, the 2nd winter, no better than any cheap all-season the 3rd (and they were always worse on bare pavement). The Hakka RSi on the other hand was great all 3 winters and I could have gotten at least another winter out of them if not for that puncture. Anyone want to buy 3 decent Hakka RSi's sized 245/40/18?

Oh, and I drove into the middle of June the 1st year with the RSi's while waiting for my summer/track tires to arrive. Drove on them in 80f weather for 2 weeks the following year in September while waiting for another replacement set of track/summer tires. Anyone who's had Blizzaks know they wear incredibly fast in those conditions. Hope the Hakka R's wear just as well (and I don't get any more @#@$%$$ punctures. already got one within the first week with the R's, but fortunately, it was repairable).

As far as the Dunlop M3's go, I've heard good things about them but never owned a set. From what I can tell from being in a car that had them, they're definitely better when on dry pavement, but they don't have quite as good traction in snow and ice (only to be expected I guess).

Max

Last edited:
My STI is great in the snow as well. It only has 5 inches of ground clearance however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back