Good, simple home defense gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No seasoned law enforcement officers share your opinion. Here's a note from my neighboring county's sheriff:

My name is Scott Berry; I am the Sheriff of Oconee County Georgia. We have deployed the stun gun TASER for approaching two years, in the jail, on patrol and in investigations.

Since having the air TASER gun available as a use of force option:

We have had ZERO baton impact strikes against violent or aggressive arrestees. We have had ZERO workers comp claims due to fights, struggles, or other events where a TASER was available.

We have had ZERO repeat "customers". Once a stun gun TASER has been deployed, we have not had to deploy it twice against the same individual. In fact, the individual with prior experience is VERY LIKELY to submit to lawful authority.

I can not think of a device in my 28 years that has had the impact on Law Enforcement that the TASER has. Thank you for your product, your customer support, your training and your service.

Respectfully, Scott Berry, Sheriff, Oconee County, GA

And here's a note from someone I KNOW you don't want to swing a maglight at. He will take pepper spray from a student and spray it in his own mouth before starting a training session. He says it burns his toungue but doesn't effect him enough to slow him down.

Here's his note:

Self Defense in a hurry
As a full time Martial Arts and Self Defense instructor I recomend Tasers to anyone who does not have the time to devote to full out training. With none of the problems of Guns and sprays, and non-lethal to boot. What more could you ask for? When my mom asked what to do as a home health nurse for protection I said, "get a taser!"

TJ Fernandez
GGA Martial Arts
ggamartialarts.com

The Taser is not a bad option, if someone is not comfortable with a gun, or if someone is adamant about not killing someone. Gunshots can miss, or wound without disabling. I'm not sure the odds of success with a gun are any better.

Having said that, I'll take my shotgun with 00 buck, 3 1/2 inch supermag rounds. If I find someone in my house that is a threat, I will pump the gun and hopefully scare them away, because I really don't want to kill or hurt them. However, if that doesn't do it, I want their guts turned inside-out, because the type of person not scared away by a shotgun pump has got to be insane.

Pepper spray was never designed for a mouth spray. It is to be sprayed into the eyes which are more sensitive than your mouth.

The idea is that if they can not see, maybe you'll get away. I've seen Black Belts spray the pepper in their mouths over the years (my daughter is in Martial Arts and while I'm waiting for her seen that demo)

Nice couple of ads. Tasers are good but not perfect. I'm not selling anything but what I have seen first hand.

And if the perp is a black belt acting bad, he will get shot quicker by LEO as all they want to do is go home.

Remember everyone, a Taser has one shot. If you miss or it does not work you better have door #2 ready. A firearm does have more than one shot. If you practice often and take proper training they do work.

Best thing is to avoid the problem children in the first place.
01.gif

Take care, bill

If you miss with a taser, there is not a real reason for the bad guy to leave. If you miss with a gun, he will still exit the premises as soon as possible.

All true, and if I don't want to use a gun, I'm comfortable with my abilities unarmed or with whatever I pick up to swing.
To me, using a taser against someone with a gun is ridiculous, and against someone without a gun, unneccessary. Speaking only for myself, of course.

That whole pepper spray in the mouth is [censored] meant to impress those who would be coaxed into parting with some money for "martial arts" instruction.
That guy's website would be a bit more impressive is someone would actually do a spell-check, and maybe a reality check.
Looks like just another pasted-together hodgepodge of bits and pieces of this and that system, which usually indicates a mastery of none of them.

Originally Posted By: stumpman
And here's a note from someone I KNOW you don't want to swing a maglight at. He will take pepper spray from a student and spray it in his own mouth before starting a training session. He says it burns his toungue but doesn't effect him enough to slow him down.

He should try spraying Fox Labs Five Point Three from a large canister fogger in his eyes and see if it slows him down.
56.gif

I doubt it will be, having been training in and teaching kempo and kenpo since about 1980. Haven't missed too many times, and I've been hit solidly by bigger and better than the guy shown on that website, and made it okay with no anesthesia required.
grin2.gif

But of course, you never know until you try.

If you have been hit by someone bigger and better than that guy Mack put on the mat and was okay, you need no weapon at all!

I have never actually seen any fight, but I have seen blogs from Ex-SEAL,SWAT team super ninjas that nobody can hurt.

Well, glad to hear that. I thought you may be a super ninja taking ""Pride and ego are the anesthesia of ignorance." - Ed Parker Sr." to the limit.

I love that quote! I'm going to steal it to use any time I hear an officer in our certification course brag about how bad he is.

I also like the slogan my wife came up with for her company-" Speak softly & carry a big shock."- Packing Jolt, Inc.-TASERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back