Best oil for the VQ40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an xterra with the vq40 engine, I was wondering what the best oil and weight would be the best to run. The truck sees all sorts of driving from city to occasional towing to freeway and some offroading.

Well, it's a 2005+ ..the spec'd 30 grade is what you need. How long you keep it in service will determine whether it's a synth or not. You may try and factor Tee-Dubb's fuel equation into figuring your length of service. Even if your city and off roading were of the gentle kind, the fuel consumed makes using mileage as a measure useless.

You may want to read this post ..and the entire thread

I have the VQ40 in a 2007 Frontier 4X4 SE extended cab pickup. Bought new and at 1200 miles or so, drained the factory fill and changed to 5W-30 Mobil 1. Also drained the rear diff and refilled with Mobil 1 75W-90. Changed the front diff with Valvline SemiSyn 80W-90 and the transfer case with Nissan Type D ATF. Since the truck is under warranty, I follow the dealers recommended change interval of 5000 miles. Once off warranty, I'll certainly extend that. I also use the Nissan oil filter because of warranty (actually get a great price on multiple filters from Courtesy Nissan in TXhttp://www.courtesyparts.com/shopping_cart.php).

I have run and currently run Mobil 1 in all vehicles. I've been a user for over ten years and am very satisfied with the performance of the oil. I'd recommend changing out all the factory fluids as I did. I was not that impressed with what drained out of the rear diff in particular.

I have the VQ40DE in my 2005 Pathfinder. I previously ran PP 5w30 in it. The UOA from that was very good. Recently I've been running German Castrol 0w-30 in it. The engine is MUCH smoother and quieter on the GC. When running the PP it had some minor valve clatter when started cold. That is completely gone with the GC. The engine is downright silky with the GC in it. I'll be dong a UOA on the GC in January.

Boomer, it is funn you mention changing the rear diff fluid. The xterra has been known for rear diff failures and everyone I know that changed it early has nothing good to say about what came out.

Bookmaker, I have been planning on giving GC a go, glad to hear its been working out for you.

I've used PP 10w30 with good results, although some thought a TBN of 3 was low after 4,100 miles. Got some Mobil1 0w40 in there right now. I'd like to also share that I don't use the Nissan branded lubes because I think they're all overpriced. If your Xterra is an automatic then I recommend Subaru ATF because it's a lot cheaper and a exact equivalent to the Matic J fluid. I also use Mobil1 ATF in the transfer case and power steering without any problems.

Originally Posted By: Bookmaker
I have the VQ40DE in my 2005 Pathfinder. I previously ran PP 5w30 in it. The UOA from that was very good. Recently I've been running German Castrol 0w-30 in it. The engine is MUCH smoother and quieter on the GC. When running the PP it had some minor valve clatter when started cold. That is completely gone with the GC. The engine is downright silky with the GC in it. I'll be dong a UOA on the GC in January.

I'd be interested in your UOA results as these are the two oils I'll most likely be using in my VQ40. Thanks in advance for sharing.

Originally Posted By: a2z
I've used PP 10w30 with good results, although some thought a TBN of 3 was low after 4,100 miles.

Hey a2z, just saw your UOA and nice to see great results. I've got enough PP to last my VQ40 about 3 years once I get up to 5K miles. I'll do my own UOAs after I get a few more miles on my crewcab, but nice to know the VQ40 gets along with it well.

Originally Posted By: Bookmaker

I'll second that! I'm one who generally believes you're never going to notice any difference between oil brands but I must say, when I switched from PP to GC in our Xterra I experienced the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back