Oil/Filter recommendation for 2007 Camry 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Budget minded folks such as myself, what is the best dino oil/filter to use for a 2007 Camry 2.4L 4 cyl? I have had very good luck with factory Toyota filters in the past and they are not priced bad. The factory recommended oil is either 5w-20 or 0w-20. 0w-20 is out of the question because it is only available in synthetic.

I am basicly looking for a good 5w-20 dino oil for our situation: about 40% of the trips are about 5 miles or so and the remaining trips are at least 10 miles or more. We drive this car about 12,000 miles per year and plan on keeping it about 5 more years or so.

Any comments on the filter brand would be appreciated as well.

Again, we are on a pretty strict budget so price is a major factor as well

Thank you

Originally Posted By: mrmatrix
For Budget minded folks such as myself, what is the best dino oil/filter to use for a 2007 Camry 2.4L 4 cyl? I have had very good luck with factory Toyota filters in the past and they are not priced bad. The factory recommended oil is either 5w-20 or 0w-20. 0w-20 is out of the question because it is only available in synthetic.

I am basicly looking for a good 5w-20 dino oil for our situation: about 40% of the trips are about 5 miles or so and the remaining trips are at least 10 miles or more. We drive this car about 12,000 miles per year and plan on keeping it about 5 more years or so.

Any comments on the filter brand would be appreciated as well.

Again, we are on a pretty strict budget so price is a major factor as well

Thank you
welcome2.gif

I'd go down to your local Wal-Mart and pick up either QS, Pennzoil (looks like it just went up) Valvoline, Halvoline or Motorcraft 5w-20 jug of oil and a Supertech oil filter if avail and go to town. 5k OCI and your set. Your total cost should be under $20.

Remember that you have to keep records to show Toyota that you DID change the oil every 5k or 6 months whichever came first.

Nice car. I wish I bought a Camry back in 2007.

Take care, bill

I don't think that there is a substandard 5-20 made.
They are all pretty good to excellent.
Don't forget that Havoline is also a contender, in addition to what ^Bill said. I use Motorcraft.

havoline or pennzoil would be my choices. Stick with toyota filters if you like them, otherwise id pick a purolator.

off to wal-mart I go! If I go with purolator, should I go with the purolator "pure one". They used to be much better.

The pure one is better. More money but better. If your on a real tight budget, the regular purolator will work fine.

As for oil, I too would recommend the Pennzoil or if not that the Motorcraft.

Fram filters are fine. They meet or exceed (and some MFG USE THEM) your engines requirements.

There are filters that are cheaper that do the same. That is why I don't buy Frams.

I cut open EVERY filter that I've used (and most of my families) and never had a Fram have a problem in over 30 plus years. In fact I've only had one filter with a problem and it was in the last year. A WIX.

Take care, Bill

You can get a 10 pack of the Toyota OE filters on eBay for around $40 shipped. As for the oil, I would use whatever 5W20 that is on sale.

Also, if you have not had the software update performed on your Camry, should take it in and have it done. The software update elminates any hesitation under light acceleration and allows for smoother acceleration. The software update is discussed in TSB 0068-08 (May 21, 2008) and is covered under warranty for 8/80k.

I just picked up some Toyota OEM filters from the dealer @$3.25 each. That's hard to beat.

All the local dealers are running 15 to 20% off their parts right now. You might give the stealers a visit.

Originally Posted By: dilettantologist
I just picked up some Toyota OEM filters from the dealer @$3.25 each. That's hard to beat.

All the local dealers are running 15 to 20% off their parts right now. You might give the stealers a visit.

OEM filters for $3.25, and 4 quarts of a good 5w20 could total as little as $15. I'd go with YB or Motorcraft personally.

My local Wal Mart does not carry Havoline 5W20 and another place that carries Havoline does not carry the 5W20 either. Advance Auto carries a small amount it was $3.39 a quart and I actually bought some today for my Civic but realized it was 40 cents more a quart than Motocraft Synthetic Blend 5W20 was at Wal Mart. My first oil change back in August I used the Motocraft with a PureOne filter and have had no complaints at all and no noises that should not be there so I went to Wal Mart later and bought the Motocraft and put it in again with a new PureOne and will return the Havoline tomorrow. My local WalMart also does not carry Purolator filters either. The Motocraft is cheaper than Pennzoil at Walmart although there is a deal right now for 5qts of Pennzoil and a Fram filter at Advance Auto for $12.98 or something like that after a $5.00 mail in rebate but 5qts of Motocraft at WalMart is $12.50 but no oil filter. I don!t want a Fram anyway. Pep Boys has Shell oil and a filter for $9.99. Without doing UOAS I will be doing 5000 mile changes anyway.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Fram filters are fine. They meet or exceed (and some MFG USE THEM) your engines requirements.

There are filters that are cheaper that do the same. That is why I don't buy Frams.

I cut open EVERY filter that I've used (and most of my families) and never had a Fram have a problem in over 30 plus years. In fact I've only had one filter with a problem and it was in the last year. A WIX.

Take care, Bill

Holy poop! In my Ford's Fram caused dry start problems constantly. This was in OHV and OHC engines using the factory spec'd oil. Once I changed to Motorcraft oil filters the problem went away. I have to say that I used a Napa Gold oil filter on my 1996 Contour, OHC engine,the and I've great success with it. There is no dry start noise with it like with the Fram oil filters.

Whimsey

I have ran Mobil 5000, Castrol GTX, and Pennzoil in our camry. All have performed well but I will have to say it seems to run a bit smoother with Pennzoil than the other two.I am not a fram filter fan but that's all I could get last time. I have not noticed any ill effects with the fram filter.

Wow, I purchased a 5qt jug of 5w-20 Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil at Wal-mart for $12.50. The Mobil One synthetic was 26.00! I already had a filter, so you can guess what I'll be doing today!

I think I will stay with the toyota oil filters or the pure one filters.

Thanks!

I don't think you can go wrong with Motorcraft oil. Lots of great results on here from that oil. I myself cannot justify the cost of synthetic unless I am doing extended drains. I'm not going to do that until warranty has expired. It's not worth the risk to me.

Originally Posted By: mrmatrix
Wow, I purchased a 5qt jug of 5w-20 Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil at Wal-mart for $12.50. The Mobil One synthetic was 26.00! I already had a filter, so you can guess what I'll be doing today!

I think I will stay with the toyota oil filters or the pure one filters.

Thanks!

I know this is off-topic, but I can't emphasize how important it is to get the software update installed on your vehicle. It makes a world of difference in terms of driveability.

You don't say how often you change the oil. But if you go to Walmart and get the oil and do your own change you could probably buy Syn oil and double your oil change interval and the price would come out about the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
You don't say how often you change the oil. But if you go to Walmart and get the oil and do your own change you could probably buy Syn oil and double your oil change interval and the price would come out about the same.
Once he has 60k miles or in 2012.

His warranty will be up by then.

Changing the oil every 5k would be better since he does 40% city trips.

IMO that oil changed every 5k would be better than every 10k no matter the oil.

There are plenty of engines with well past 200k that have run conventional oils with no issues.

Take care, bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back