Cassette Wobble

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the cassette on my '04 Specialized HardRock sport recently and I recently noticed that the cassette wobbles slightly. I don't think the original cassette had issues with wobbling. How can I correct this? The new cassette is a SRAM PG-850.

Also, I adjusted the rear hub as someone told me that I had it too tight. However, after doing so, I can barely hear the "click, click, click" when I spin the rear tire. Did I adjust it too loosely?

Thanks!

Very cool that you've retrofitted your bike with an audio system. I suggest a Maxell cleaning kit, then try again:
MaxellCleaningKitBestBuyModel190158.jpg

wink.gif

A wobbling cassette can be caused by a loose cassette lockring. You need a special splined tool to tighten it. The tool runs around $10 at most bike shops.

Not sure about the problem with the hub not "clicking". The click is from the pawls inside the freewheel, so I don't know how adjusting the hub could affect this.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thanks, I'll check that later today.

Also, my front derailleur rubs against the chain. I tried backing off the high limit screw, but it isn't doing anything. Any ideas?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Thanks, I'll check that later today.

Also, my front derailleur rubs against the chain. I tried backing off the high limit screw, but it isn't doing anything. Any ideas?

There is a procedure for setting up the front derailleur. Look on Park Tool's website for instructions.

Yeah wobbly cassette is likely because the lockring is not tight enough. It doesn't require it to be that tight, I think it was something like 40 Newton meters or something, should say on the lockring itself. If your hub is too loose you can check by shaking the wheel. I find if the hub was too tight it would have more friction. The clicking sound is the freewheel hub, it doesn't really need to be serviced regularly although you could relube it.

The front derailer will rub a bit if you use for example 1st gear in front and 5th in the rear. Its not really possible to have zero rubbing in every single gear combination if you have 8 or 9 speeds in the rear. I find that 1st works best with 1-3, 2nd with 3-6 and 3rd with 6-8.

When I adjust the front derailer, I shift both front and rear to 1st (low) and loosen the cable tension with the adjuster nut at the shifter first. You can tug on the cable to check that you are turning the adjuster the right direction. Next disconnect and retighten the cable. Adjust the low screw. Then shift to 3 and 8 (high) and repeat with the high screw. You can turn the adjuster a little at a time to increase cable tension if it has trouble shifting to a higher gear. Takes a bit of patience to get it right. Note that if your derailer is bent or damaged then no matter how you adjust it its not going to cover up the the problem. Just my opinion.

You can also check out bicycletutor.com which has videos on bicycle maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever type of cassette you have it is hard to intall them wrong.
Does yours have a hub that half the cassette cogs just slip on. Like the guys said check the outside screw on cap.

Nothing to adjust on the ratcheting hub. all you can adjust is the bearing preload for the wheel.

Print out procedures on the Park tool website. That is what I do. Shows how to do everything.

Some cassettes simply have a little wobble in them.
As long as the cogs don't have ANY side play, don't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Also, a good book is "Zinn and the art of bicycle maintenance".

That would be Zen and the Art of....

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Also, a good book is "Zinn and the art of bicycle maintenance".

That would be Zen and the Art of....

Yeah, um-- I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back