Ever heard of Blue Streak Treav Touring Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings:

I recently picked up a nice set of Blue Streak Treav touring tires (225/60/16). I got them from the junkyard. The tread and overall condition of these tires is new like condition. I paid 105 for all 4. They are rated at Traction/Temperature A, and treadwear is something like 380. I have checked everywhere, and I have yet to find a recall on them. I have read positive and negative opinions on them. I hear that they are a low end goodyear, made in China. The design of the tread appears to be a dual channel in the center of the tire to repel water, additionally, the tire has some thick tread. Well I am getting ready for snow! What say you? Are these tires dangerous or what??

Best Regards,

GS,

How old are these tires? Recent service bulletins from the car makes and tire makers say that tires have a finite life and should be taken out of service even if not worn out. There is a slight different of opinion on the time, but my take on it is:

If you live in a hot climate (AZ, CA, NV, TX, and FL) then the limit is six years. If you live in a cold climate (MN, ND, WI, MT, etc) then the limit is 10 years. States in between are ..... ah ........ in between.

Here's how to tell how old the tires are:

First locate the letters "DOT" on the sidewall of the tire. Nearby will be the code.

DOT codes are a 10 to 12 digit number located near the letters "DOT". BTW the digits can be numbers or letters.

The first 2 digits are a code for the manufacturing plant.

The next 2 digits are a code for the tire size.

The next 3 or 4 digits are a code for the type of tire.

The last 3 or 4 digits are the date code. The format is week/week/year/year or week/week/year. These are always numbers.

Starting in the year 2000, the date coding used is 4 digits. That means the highest number you should see for the year is 08. Before 1999 the format was 3 digits. 1999 and 2000 are transition years, so you will find both 3 and 4 digits.

The date code only has to be on one side – and it is permissible for there to be a partial DOT code, so long as one side has the complete code.

Originally Posted By: gulfstream
...I hear that they are a low end goodyear, made in China...

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case. Years ago, Goodyear's line of high performance (racing) tires was called Blue Streak but they changed the name to Eagle. I bet they decided to apply the old Blue Streak name to that line of low cost tires.

Here: Goodyear Racing History Check out the entry for 1980.

Thanks for the reponses! I don't believe that these tires are that old at all. In fact they still sell them online. These tires are very clean cut without any cracks and or dry rot whatsoever. They sort of resemble Good years RSA all seasons radials, whereas they have an additional set of tracks down the center of the tire, in that water maybe repelled? Another design that is similar is good year auqa versions. All I want is for the tires to grip the road and just last me one good winter season. The sidewalls along the rim of the tire still has the bar code label/sticker on them. The sidewalls are stout and don't feel soft and or weak, or too flexible either. The ones on my secondary 95 towncar sig, are michelin energy plus 4 or something to that effect, however, they are wearing thin! Thanks again guys!

If it is made in China, it could be something a no name manufacture sells to the low cost market.

I had a set of Wynstar Phaser R23 made by a "better" Chinese manufacture that has Traction Temp Trendwear of A A 380 and they are pretty good (better than the Goodyear Invictor), and the manufactures were acquired by Michelin shortly after I purchased the tires.

If they still sell it online and yours have been a few years on the market, I think they are ok. If they have blown up, it would be all over the Internet by now.

Somewhere in the DOT code is a two letter code that can be retraced to the plant of manufacture.

ttour_tr.jpg

Just guessing looking at the tread pattern but these look more like a rain tire. Not many squiggly sipes means poor snow/ice traction.

Incidentally, google calls a treva.

these are the ones that I have! I am now thinking of turning them in for a better all season tire. They are a good rain tire, but snow and ice wise, I will have nothing to cut/bite through the ice and or heavy snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back