When to replace tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always replaced my tires at around 4/32. Anything less than that and I can notice the difference in the wet when cornering at even slightly elevated speeds.
I sometimes look at the tires on different cars in parking lots and it's amazing how many people are driving around on tires that are 2/32 or even less, even people driving expensive cars. I honestly believe some people think that tires are still good as long as they aren't completely bald.

Hi,
obviously the wear strips are the major wear indicator - I use 2.5mm as my limit

As for time the code on the tyre's sidewall should be noted. High performance car makers generally say six years is the limit in time. In my experience at around this stage the sidewalls become hard and maybe perished

A good UV damage prevention tool for sidewalls is "303" - applied every so ofetn - follow instructions on the container.
I live in the tropics and 303 has worked well for me in that regard for several years

Last edited:
Here's a different way to look at tire replacement. If you have a replacement point for your vehicle, aim for it needing tires at the time you dispose of it. For example: you keep your car 4 years. Buy new tires when it's two years old. Or, you want to trade at 100,000 miles. Replace the tires at 50,000 miles.
It finally hit me that wearing the tires down to 70,000 miles meant I "gave away" 20,000 miles of unused tread when I sold the car at 100k.
Replace the tires so you get the benefit, not the next owner.

Our tires on some cars need to be replaced due to UV cracking, not tread. We can easily get 80k out of a set of tires without much issue, but they start to crack bad in the outer tread and sidewall by 50k or so... Were throwing away tread, but it beats a blowout.

my tires have almost 80k miles on them and almost 8 years old, but they are starting to crack on the sidewalls. I'm going to be replacing pretty soon.

We'll, for snow and ice in NY i usually make sure the front ones have more than 5/32, but the backones i may leave at 3/32 or even 2/32. Is this ok? It front wheel drive of course.

Originally Posted By: rangerfan24
We'll, for snow and ice in NY i usually make sure the front ones have more than 5/32, but the backones i may leave at 3/32 or even 2/32. Is this ok? It front wheel drive of course.

Even with front wheel drive,I think you run the chance of rear end sliding out. I would replace all 4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Russell
Even with front wheel drive,I think you run the chance of rear end sliding out. I would replace all 4.

Exactly. Regardles if your car is FWD or RWD, you should put the better tires on the rear since this will reduce your chances of you losing control over the rear end.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
this will reduce your chances of you losing control over the rear end.

Go easy on fiber consumption, if you are not used to it.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
this will reduce your chances of you losing control over the rear end.

Go easy on fiber consumption, if you are not used to it.

LOL.gif
That, too!

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I used to do the same thing with my tires, run 'em til there was little/no tread left. I figured that was getting every bit of value out of them.

I used to do the same thing, until I had a blowout in one that caused me to lose 2 hours at work. I realized that the 2 hours I lost was a lot more than I had saved on the tires, plus the danger of having the blowout and changing the tire on the side of the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back