Thicker Oil for piston slap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1--The people at dealerships make lots of mistakes. I argued with the Service Manager at a Toyota dealership about whether my Tundra V8 engine had a timing belt or chain! I finally brought him the section number and page of the repair manual to shut him up. (That reminds me...the belt is due for replacement in about 6000 more miles.....)

2--That same Tundra has always had a tick when cold that goes away by the time the engine is half warm. No problem.

3--Sure, switch to your choice of 5W-30 oil. Can't go wrong. One parameter for choosing the oil viscosity is the actual size of the clearances, and those are bigger in an engine with some wear on it.

4--Some brands of oil damp noise better than other brands. They may lubricate and protect the parts equally well, but allow less noise to transfer out. Don't assume that more or less noise means more or less wear with equal oils.

Originally Posted By: CompSyn
Originally Posted By: KW
Heck give a 5 or 10W30 a try and see it it helps. I surely can't hurt a thing.

Or how about 0W-20!

By comparison, a GM LS1 engine calls for 5W-30 as per owners manual. ProStreetCamaro tried the 0W-30 and see what he found:

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
I'll tell ya this SSO is the first oil I have ever used in my LS1 that has complely eliminated the piston slap in my engine. To me that means less wear obviously and in order to eliminate piston slap it has got to be clinging to the metal parts which would mean even further wear reduction on startup. Maybe I am off base there but its the only logical explanation I can come up with. I am so impressed thats why im switching everything to amsoil.

SSO is Amsoil's 0W-30 Signature Series Oil.

Consider that a better flowing motor oil at engine start-up may be able to reach and lubricate the dry engine components quicker than a thicker oil.

Even though Honda calls out for 5W-20 in this case, I think you will find that 0W-20 would be a better choice all year round.

Piston-slap occurs because of excessive piston-to-wall clearance. When the piston expands when the engine heats up, the clearance narrows and the noise ceases. This has nothing to do with the oil brand.

A heavier oil will function as a better damper and make the noise less noticeable.

Thanks Guys...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: KW
Heck give a 5 or 10W30 a try and see it it helps. I surely can't hurt a thing.

Or how about 0W-20!

By comparison, a GM LS1 engine calls for 5W-30 as per owners manual. ProStreetCamaro tried the 0W-30 and see what he found:

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
I'll tell ya this SSO is the first oil I have ever used in my LS1 that has complely eliminated the piston slap in my engine. To me that means less wear obviously and in order to eliminate piston slap it has got to be clinging to the metal parts which would mean even further wear reduction on startup. Maybe I am off base there but its the only logical explanation I can come up with. I am so impressed thats why im switching everything to amsoil.

SSO is Amsoil's 0W-30 Signature Series Oil.

Consider that a better flowing motor oil at engine start-up may be able to reach and lubricate the dry engine components quicker than a thicker oil.

Even though Honda calls out for 5W-20 in this case, I think you will find that 0W-20 would be a better choice all year round.

Piston-slap occurs because of excessive piston-to-wall clearance. When the piston expands when the engine heats up, the clearance narrows and the noise ceases. This has nothing to do with the oil brand.

A heavier oil will function as a better damper and make the noise less noticeable.

Yes, pistons contract as they cool but so do the cylinder walls. The issue is that motor oils are too thick at start up and cannot be pumped very well. Much of the motor oil at start-up is by-passed back to the oil pan and doesn’t make it to the parts that need lubricated. A thicker motor oil is the exact opposite direction StevieC should consider in this application, especially in the cold, cold Ontario Canada winters. A 0W-20 100% Synthetic Motor Oil will be the best choice for better start-up protection in that climate.

Still don’t believe me?

Consider reading the Dr. AE Haas writtings found HERE

Below, an excerpt from the Dr. AE Haas writings that pertain to this subject.

Originally Posted By: Dr. AE Haas
Remember that most engine wear occurs at startup when the oil is too thick to lubricate properly. It cannot flow and therefore cannot lubricate. Most of the thick oil at startup actually goes through the bypass valve back to the engine oil sump and not into your engine oil ways.

I thought everyone knew that 90 percent of engine wear occurs during the startup period because oil is just too thick. Some think it is good to have a thicker oil for startup since the parts shrink when cold and would otherwise “rattle.” Sure, your piston diameter will shrink on cooling but so will the diameter of your bore. The net result is about the same clearance hot and cold. This is not true for your valves. They lengthen when extremely hot. In the Murcielago they use shims instead of self adjusting valve tappets. You need to put a millimeter of clearance there so that after expansion the valve will not be held partly open when it is supposed to be closed.

If it were true that thicker oils were needed at startup then the manufacturers would not be requesting oils that thicken less on cooling. They would just specify that one should use a straight 30 or 40 weight oil. Instead, over time, they are specifying thinner and thinner oils.

The manufacturers know what parts shrink or expand and the clearance changes that result. You do not have to worry about this. If it was that easy to design engines we would all be making them.

Some people have said they use thicker oils because they only use their cars every 2, 3 or 4 weeks. They are afraid that thin oils will fall off the engine parts and result in a lack of lubrication at startup. Think about your lawn mower over the winter. I gets gummed up solid. The oil and fuel thicken over time resulting in engine failure. Anyway, oil on the surface of parts does not lubricate. It is the FLOW of oil between parts that lubricates. Thick, old, waxy oil can only be bad.

I would like to go back to the worry that oil falls off the parts when a car is stored or sees long periods of inactivity. For the first oil change in my 575 Maranello I drained the Shell and put in 0W-30 Mobil 1. This was at 775 miles on the odometer. I drove the car home from work, put it on the lift and drained the transaxle and engine oils. I also opened and drained the oil cooler and took off every line that is in the oil system. I wanted to get every speck of the Shell oil out of there. For optimal results you are not supposed to mix synthetic oils of different brands.

The system takes 12 quarts with a “normal” oil change but took 15 quarts for this change. It all took about an hour. I then started the engine to check for leaks. The multitude of mechanical engine noises that followed nearly broke my eardrums for about 10 long seconds. Then it was suddenly very quiet. You could hear a pin drop. There was certainly the most possible amount of surface oil on all the internal parts as the engine was only off for an hour. But it was not until the oil circuit primed, filled then sent flow into all the parts that any lubrication was occurring. Hence all oil filters that are manufacturer certified have back flow limiters to keep the oil filter full even with the engine off.

Aluminum and Cast Iron have vastly different rates of expansion.

Just using the values from Wikipedia for example:

Some values for common materials, given in parts per million per Celsius degree:

Aluminum:
Linear: 23
Volumetric: 69

Cast Iron:
Linear: 11.1
Volumetric: 33.3

And your theory is off.

Think of the cylinder as what it is; a cylinder, made of cast iron. The piston THICKENS; or rather, grows both in AND OUTWARD as it heats, and at a much greater rate and to a much greater degree than that of the cylinder.

But that is not all. As the CYLINDER is heated, IT expands...both inward AND outward; the wall becomes THICKER, so it actually TIGHTENS on the piston, decreasing the clearance even more.

The addition of a "buffer" of oil is not going to eliminate the noise; it may muffle it, but it does not eliminate piston slap. Which is piston SLOP; excessive piston-to-wall clearance.

Coated skirts and the addition of silicates to the castings (hypereutectic pistons) have greatly helped reduce this phenomena; which happens primarily on engines with short piston skirts and an intentionally greater piston-to-wall clearance.

There's a lot more to this than oil.

Ring butting, piston-to-bore seizure due to combustion temps, lifted ring lands and all kinds of fun stuff can happen due to how these different components expand under heat.

Slapping 0w20 in there does not negate the engineering or assembly err that resulted in the noise to begin with and indeed it provides LESS of a buffer to noise because it's thinner. 0w40 would provide a greater buffer.... so would 5w40.

Some values for common materials, given in parts per million per Celsius degree:

Aluminum:

Cast Iron:

And your theory is off.

Think of the cylinder as what it is; a cylinder, made of cast iron. The piston THICKENS; or rather, grows both in AND OUTWARD as it heats, and at a much greater rate and to a much greater degree than that of the cylinder.

But that is not all. As the CYLINDER is heated, IT expands...both inward AND outward; the wall becomes THICKER, so it actually TIGHTENS on the piston, decreasing the clearance even more.

The addition of a "buffer" of oil is not going to eliminate the noise; it may muffle it, but it does not eliminate piston slap. Which is piston SLOP; excessive piston-to-wall clearance.

Coated skirts and the addition of silicates to the castings (hypereutectic pistons) have greatly helped reduce this phenomena; which happens primarily on engines with short piston skirts and an intentionally greater piston-to-wall clearance.

Ring butting, piston-to-bore seizure due to combustion temps, lifted ring lands and all kinds of fun stuff can happen due to how these different components expand under heat.

Slapping 0w20 in there does not negate the engineering or assembly err that resulted in the noise to begin with and indeed it provides LESS of a buffer to noise because it's thinner. 0w40 would provide a greater buffer.... so would 5w40.

Theories are validated by actual results, see above example.

Regardless of differing rates of thermal expansion, more oil flow from a less thicker motor oil will have improved lubricating abilities than a thicker motor oil that cannot be pumped as well at start-up.

Even though the OEMs recognize this, many still buy into the idea that thicker is better. I agree with the OEMs, Dr. AE Haas, and findings from real world examples.

CompSyn

No I disagree completely with overkill, you did not read Dr. Haas article. Oil is extremely thick when it is cold. yet the pistons are still slapping around. the trick is to get oil in FAST, and not let the pistons slap. when the engine is cold, the cSt of the oil may be 50 or even 60, and when hot, it goes to 10 or 11. the engine designers have designed the engine with extraordinary skill, so that the tolerances are the same whether hot or cold. so running a cold viscosity of 70 or 100 is not an improvement over 50 or 60. all of the oils are too thick, so you need to pick the thinnest oil, to get in FAST. Just run the oil that is designed for the engine - 5w30 all year around, unless you live in desert heat, or something. my subie has dreadful slap, but i just don't worry about it. it has been the same for 50,000 miles since i bought it used, then engine is still nice and powerful, and it does not use any oil. use a high mileage castrol dino 5w30, or some other high mileage brand of oil you trust.

in the winter, i run 50:50 5w20 semi synthetic with 5w30 full synthetic. this gives my engine the cold start up protection it needs, and still has sufficient viscosity to protect it when hot (only do this with a non-turbo application). if the engine is wearing, the last thing to do is accelerating the wear by using an oil that has insufficient cold start up properties.

Aluminum:

Cast Iron:

And your theory is off.

Theories are validated by actual results, see above example.

Regardless of differing rates of thermal expansion, more oil flow from a less thicker motor oil will have improved lubricating abilities than a thicker motor oil that cannot be pumped as well at start-up.

Even though the OEMs recognize this, many still buy into the idea that thicker is better. I agree with the OEMs, Dr. AE Haas, and findings from real world examples.

CompSyn

As you may have noticed, I recommended two oils that are THIN (relatively speaking) on start-up: 0w40 and 5w40. Both of which have a strong following by European engine makers.

While the good doctor's information is indeed thought provoking, I would not take it as gospel. He is a very smart man, but he's not an engine builder, nor an engine designer.

I would also not use his very small sample of results with his own personal vehicles as concrete "proof".

There's a huge difference between a Toyota and a Ferrari.

I'm not an engine builder, nor do I claim to be one. But being a member of a community who's primary focus is performance and longevity under VERY hard use (Mustang); I've learned a whole [censored] of a lot about what goes into engine design and assembly and what characteristics are caused by what.

Piston slap is what I described it as. You can approach it from as many angles as you like but the FACT is that piston slap is excessive piston-to-wall clearance due to design or an engineering/assembly flaw that causes the piston to rock in the bore and make noise. The noise goes away when the engine heats up.

GM addressed this issue on the LSx engines with an updated piston with a coated skirt. Ford uses hypereutectic pistons with coated skirts, which have a high silicon content and thus expand less. This allows them to run tigher piston-to-wall clearances and this is part of the reason why the Modular engines do not suffer from piston slap. They also have slightly taller pistons.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
No I disagree completely with overkill, you did not read Dr. Haas article. Oil is extremely thick when it is cold. yet the pistons are still slapping around. the trick is to get oil in FAST, and not let the pistons slap. when the engine is cold, the cSt of the oil may be 50 or even 60, and when hot, it goes to 10 or 11. the engine designers have designed the engine with extraordinary skill, so that the tolerances are the same whether hot or cold. so running a cold viscosity of 70 or 100 is not an improvement over 50 or 60. all of the oils are too thick, so you need to pick the thinnest oil, to get in FAST. Just run the oil that is designed for the engine - 5w30 all year around, unless you live in desert heat, or something. my subie has dreadful slap, but i just don't worry about it. it has been the same for 50,000 miles since i bought it used, then engine is still nice and powerful, and it does not use any oil. use a high mileage castrol dino 5w30, or some other high mileage brand of oil you trust.

Wow scoobie, you've just defied physics! congratulations!

When does your engine designing certificate arrive again?

And I thought your Subaru was the very definition of perfection????? There was nothing better. Yet here you state that it slaps like a [censored]? That doesn't sound perfect to me....

Last edited by a moderator:
the 1998 and 1999 legacy 2.2 is KNOWN to slap. but it doesn't matter the engine is still bulletproof and runs forever without rebuild. what i bought this time was the 2008 SUBARU IMPREZA with the 2.5 NA. Subaru solved their problem with the 1998 and 1999 engines with some clever work, and they also had a problem with blown head gaskets in the 1999 2.5 engines, but they also solved that. the CURRENT engine is PHENOMENAL. I don't actually drive the legacy, it's actually a spare car, but my wife still loves it. she normally drives the Impreza.
I drive a 1995 Dodge Colt, because this is a nice fun car to drive - it weighs only 2000 lb, and has a 1.5l with 95 horsepower which is exactly the same as my 1973 BMW 2002, which everyone raved about at the time, and which turned into a classic collector car. the Mitsubishi Dodge colt has a wonderful gearbox fantastic clutch action and gets FANTASTIC gas mileage. the 4 wheel independent suspension has exactly the same feel as the BMW 2002, and the power to weight ratio and fun factor is exactly the same. The Colt only cost me $3000 5 years ago, and has been running perfectly with only minimal amounts of routine maintenance. Even when I do drive the Legacy, the piston slap is only a minor nuisance, and I actually hardly notice it - it's mainly people on the street that notice it.

I studied what Dr. Haas wrote about engines expanding and contracting, so I know as much as an accomplished student. He said that engine designers are experts in materials and design the engine to run at constant clearances. Why would I doubt someone who publishes nice complete articles on the net, compared to someone who only posts his opinion, but does not have published articles. The articles EXPLAIN, and since they make sense to a scientist with a medical specialty like myself, then that's what I trust for my bottom line motor oil decisions.

I'm with OVERK1LL here. No, I'm not a mechanic but I did 95% of the oil changes in my wife's '99 Outback with 120k miles and no 30 grade oils made the engine any quieter. 5W-40 was the only thing that made a difference! 5W-40 goes into the 2000 RS next.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: scoobie
Subaru solved their problem with the 1998 and 1999 engines with some clever work,...

Which includes different size pistons (larger, IIRC).

-Dennis

Last edited:
An accomplished student in what? Somebody else's OPINION on lubrication use and flow based on their own experience? That's like saying I'm an accomplished student in Climatology because I've read a book by David Suzuki (who is NOT a Climatologist).

To my knowledge, Dr. Haas does not claim to be a tribologist or lubrication engineer. Rather, he studied fluid dynamics and has a keen interest in engine oil as a HOBBY.

He also happens to own a number of rather fantastic and exotic automobiles.

That being said, he is NOT an automotive engineer. YOU are not an automotive engineer and I am not an automotive engineer.

When the medical community starts designing and producing Internal Combustion Engines for use in cars, please let me know.

And when an engine is HOT, yes, the clearances between parts is kept relatively constant; this is common sense!! But a HOT engine and a COLD engine do NOT have the same clearances. It's BASIC physics. If you cannot grasp that the MASSIVELY different expansion and contraction rates between aluminum and iron result in differences in clearances as these parts heat and cool then I'm afraid I cannot help you. This is a VERY basic concept.

I trust the manufacturer and their scores of engineers to tell me what the right oil for my vehicle is... But hey, that's common sense too. Wouldn't want that to get in the way of your magic fantasy machine.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Perhaps try a fuel additive with a upper cylinder Lube.
Like Redline SI-1.

When you shutdown the engine, the cylinder walls should be coated with the extra Upper cylinder lube aswell. Maby that will help some???

It shouldn't make a bit of difference. There will always be oil left on the pistons and cylinders after shutdown.

As it's been stated over and over agiain, piston slap is from too much clearance between the piston and cylinder, it's not an oil issue. Different oil will only change what we hear but not what's actually going on.

The cylinders are lubricated just about instantly on startup (besides what's already there), piston slap usually lasts 30 seconds to over a minute. This alone should prove that it's not a lubrication issue. Does anyone actually believe it takes over 30 seconds to get lube to some parts of the engine?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Never would have thought to use a thinner oil... I will give that a try. I'm very familiar with SSO and have used it in my Santa Fe. It's a great oil!

If friction causes rocking, go with synthetic. If it stops the rocking, add another advantage to the list for synthetic oil over dino oil.

Sorry I was away yesterday... Very busy with work and then a visit to the dentist with N2O2 wiped me right out... So I'm back this morning after a great sleep.

I have read all your posts... The engine oil cap and manual call for a 5w20, so the only thing I can try in terms of a thinner oil that whats in there is a thinner oil with better cold-flow. I will have her put in a quality 0w20 oil with the lowest cold CST value. (any sugguestions?)

If that doesn't work then I will put in a 0w30 or 0w40 and see how that works...

10.gif
Thanks for everyone's input!

steve20 from what I read on the net and from the dealer, apparently these engines are common for it?!? Don't know, I don't own one... Never have.

Pistons walls are lubricated by splash. A LOT of it almost immediately on start up. They are inundated with massive amounts of oil.
If the pistons slap was evident when the engine hot and fully warmed up, a thicker oil could help eliminate the noise. I don't know if any other benefit would be evident.
And after so many years of working with relics, beaters, old designs, etc., I can also state that a thicker oil will help piston slap noise on start up also.
Is it the best idea ? Not if the piston expands to a good clearance when hot.
But thicker oil can for sure help quiet a slappy motor on start up or hot running.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Pistons walls are lubricated by splash. A LOT of it almost immediately on start up. They are inundated with massive amounts of oil.
If the pistons slap was evident when the engine hot and fully warmed up, a thicker oil could help eliminate the noise. I don't know if any other benefit would be evident.
And after so many years of working with relics, beaters, old designs, etc., I can also state that a thicker oil will help piston slap noise on start up also.
Is it the best idea ? Not if the piston expands to a good clearance when hot.
But thicker oil can for sure help quiet a slappy motor on start up or hot running.

Please permit an off topic question.
I read some engines use piston squirters to lubricate piston walls. How does one grade thicker dino oil work on cool mornings in this design?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back