89 VW Cabriolet 8 Valve Oil Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone:

Just wanted to know what I should do about our VW cabriolet. It's an 89 with 160,000KM. It has near factory compression, the bearings are almost within factory specs, and the oil pump was replaced with a high volume pump from a 2.0 engine. The problem I'm having is after driving for a while with the oil at 100oC the oil light flickers on/off at stop lights even with 15w40 oil in it.

I have 0.7bar at this time, and 2 bars at 2,000 RPM.

Any ideas? Common problem? Anything to worry about? Different Oil I can use to fix the problem?

The Canadians have always problems with electric stuff -- or so it appears.
48.gif

Thanks by the way for changing it to Canadian from Amercian... Appreciate that! (Yes I did see that happen!)

10.gif

No I changed it and the sending unit for the guage. I checked them for the correct impedence (ohms) using a Technical manual and all is in spec.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Thanks by the way for changing it to Canadian from Amercian... Appreciate that! (Yes I did see that happen!)

10.gif

Well, you are an American in a geographic sense. I didn't want to upset you unnecessarily, though. Or maybe I forgot you were Canadian. I don't pay much attention to fringe posters.
grin2.gif

Despite knowing of the wonky "electric stuff," you still have, or let anybody in your family have a VW? Now that's hilarious.

I don't want to own a German vehicle because I think Japanese vehicles are of much better quality, but my partner has always wanted this car so that's why I bought it.

As you can see it has it's issue, despite nothing but care/lovin' I have shown it.

Ah, love made you do a silly thing. Now you must suffer.

Some day you will figure out the cause of the electric problem. Just attack the issue from all angles. Start with an alignment!

moribundman... Thank you.

Is it something to worry about or just keep an eye on the pressure gauge and use a good oil?

Nope, it tested just fine... With 5w30 in the crank-case I had 2 bars of pressure at 2,000 rpm as per the tech-manual.

I just don't like someone like you irritating me, simply because I called German cars electrically problematic. It was my opinion in the last thread. You took it as an insult to German people, when I meant German Automakers. It's my opinion from my experiences...

Now quit hi-jacking my threads and posts...

TIA

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back