Snap-On Bent Handle Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about buying one of these bent handle ratchets from Snap-On:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=81215&group_id=21365

I'm in the process of building a collection of "quality" ratchets, but I'm trying to only buy what I really need.

What type of jobs will require a bent handle ratchet? Should I buy a 3/8" drive or a 1/2" drive?

Also, what's the advantage of having a locking flex-head ratchet or a normal flex-head ratchet? Do I really need both, or can I get away with just a locking flex-head?

Thanks!

I don't have a rachet with a bent handle, and I haven't needed one. I do have a 3/8" drive flex head ratchet, though. That one comes in handy in tight spots, for example when loosening the EGR valve with a crow's foot.

I have had a bent handle swivel head Snap-On ratchet for over 25 years and use it almost all the time I need a 3/8 dr ratchet. Mine is the fine tooth version which makes it nice in tight spaces. The fine tooth ratchets are supposed to handle less torque but that has not been my experience. I have had to rebuild it only once and it was done under warranty. IMHO, you can't go wrong with any Snap-On ratchet.

That is very similar to the SK flexhead bent handle ratchet - they were sold as a sparkplug ratchet,and you could get one from Champion sparkplugs.I had my Champion one stolen,and the SK replacement finally broke it's handle last year after 30 years of daily use....a new handle under warranty.The bent handle is as long as a 1/2in ratchet handle,so has great leverage,and the bent handle means you can spin them easily.These days I use a King Tony long handle flex head in 3/8 drive - but it has a straight handle and is harder to spin.

I have one but I used tools to help me make a living. Do you think you need one? I would be picky about buying Snapon tools they are great and that is what I have but my home tools are Craftsman and they are fine. Now I am retired all my tools are home tools. So I would only buy the Snapon tools that Craftsman doesn't make and it is easier to go to Sears than deal with finding a Snapon dealer for tool repairs .I have broken and worn out tools. I like my ingersol rand air tools way better than Snapon air tools they cost about half and are three tines better IMO and experience.

My $25 craftsman flex head 3/8 ratchet is the one I grab 90% of the time. Its handle is longer then my 1/2" ratchet so I often use it for busting stuff loose.In 10 years of abuse I haven't had an issue.

you have an interesting outlook on tools, you want the cheapest floor jack you can find but you want to spend $500 on impact tools to rotate tires occasionally and $120 on a single ratchet. all of this without being a professional mechanic or even an avid diy'er.

I have that ratchet. It's great for swingin' your fingers out of the way of obstacles. I don't use it all the time, but It's nice that I do have it when I need it.
I also have the shorter 3/8 flex. I always use it and almost never use a regular fixed straight ratchet.

Are you planning on doing a lot of mechanic work? If not, then no you don't need that tool, albeit a nice one.

I echo tom slick's 2nd set of comments.

I usually buy my "quality" tools on eBay, so I end up paying at least 1/3 less than the retail price.

I wasn't after the cheapest floor jack I could find. I am willing to spend around $100 on a floor jack. That's about what most people spend on a jack, I think?

As far as the impact goes, I haven't bought it yet.

I'm trying to build a tool set that will last me a long time, which is why I don't mind spending a bit more. What's wrong with that?

"I'm trying to build a tool set that will last me a long time, which is why I don't mind spending a bit more. What's wrong with that? "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spend your money on girls, you'll have better memories.

Mike,

I understand what you are saying. I just don't think that you will get your money out of a bent handle ratchet at any price (other than free). It will take up valuable space.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Pablo you do not know what you have been missing!!

Do you mean....if I were a rich college student? Or if I had a bent handle?
the ratchet

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
"I'm trying to build a tool set that will last me a long time, which is why I don't mind spending a bit more. What's wrong with that? "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spend your money on girls, you'll have better memories.
Craftsman have a life time warranty if something breaks .return to Sears for replacement ,I have had many Snapon tools break. Sears has a better replacement policy than Snapon. The Snapon guy wouldn't replace broken punches and chisles ,Sears does.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

Craftsman have a life time warranty if something breaks [/quote] Craftsman Ratchets have really gone down hill in the last few years. Absolute junk now.

I wouldn't say that they're absolute junk, but I do strip mine out fairly regularly. I've turned wrenches all day every day for 13 years, and Craftsman ratchets work fine for me... I just have to make a trip to Sears every few months.

I do have a snap-on flex-head ratchet. I don't use it much- don't like it. Teeth are too coarse. But I got it for $1 (stripped out) at a pawn shop years ago, so I'm not complaining.

I've never understood the purpose of those bent handles, nor seen any reason for them.

A college kid buying snap-on tools? Ridiculous.

If I knew what company made Snap-On tools, I would buy that exclusively. I grew up using Snap-On at my Dad's shop, and those tools could take a serious beating. I'm not saying they got abused, but they were definitely put through their paces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back