Fuel additives and non top tier gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sure this has been asked before but if your running LUCL or any other fuel additive every fill up. Do you really need to keep using top tier rated fuels?

Most fuels in my area are Top Tier... except for Arco. I used to run Lucas UCL with my fillups from Costco, but have stopped doing it. Don't really know why, just haven't replenished the stock. I don't know for certain if the Lucas pays for itself, because I haven't noticed any mileage gains, but nonetheless seems to be a good product.

If I decide to burn a non top tier gas like COSTCO I might now and then put in a big bottle of Techron along with it. My feeling then is that it's now a top tier gas.

I also use ARCO and it appears to be a good gas to use. No issues on my end.

Durango

Yea im feeling the same way. I drive alittle out of the way for Top Tier but just right up the street is the o cheap o gas stations.

Originally Posted By: Durango
If I decide to burn a non top tier gas like COSTCO I might now and then put in a big bottle of Techron along with it. My feeling then is that it's now a top tier gas.

That's what I've been thinking exactly. I just filled up at costco for $2.21, by far the cheapest in the state. This is the first time my tank has been full in probably 2 years! Incidentially, costco usually sells some sort of bulk Techron too. I love costco, this fillup alone paid for my membership.
grin2.gif

Edit: then again, do your math, don't spend more on low grade gas + additives then you would on top teir gas!

SecondMonkey,

Your current gas price in Oregon/COSTCO is fantastic! I just filled-up at my usual area one and it was an astounding $2.48/gallon!!! If the oil gansters can settly on this price I can then live with it.

Any how putting a big bottle of Techron is a good thing as a supplement cuz you know the Feds demand a certain anount of solvent in it anyway so generally speaking what is considered cheap gas anyway????

I was told while serving jury duty from a lady who worked for ARCO she stated that ARCO supplies COSTCO, WalMart, Alberston and Vons etc.

I use it always in my Durango and have no ill effects from it anyway.

Durango

Quote:
I was told while serving jury duty from a lady who worked for ARCO she stated that ARCO supplies COSTCO, WalMart, Alberston and Vons etc.

Must be regional. Wal-mart here runs Murray stations who get their gas bulk from whoever.

BP/Amoco, Exxon, Texaco, Kangaroo, Chevron, etc. all get their gas from Eagle.

Citgo is the only station I know of that has an actual branded distributor (Dalton Citgo).

Originally Posted By: Durango
SecondMonkey,

Your current gas price in Oregon/COSTCO is fantastic! I just filled-up at my usual area one and it was an astounding $2.48/gallon!!! If the oil gansters can settly on this price I can then live with it.

Any how putting a big bottle of Techron is a good thing as a supplement cuz you know the Feds demand a certain anount of solvent in it anyway so generally speaking what is considered cheap gas anyway????

I use it always in my Durango and have no ill effects from it anyway.

Durango

So what if BP/ARCO supplies Costco? Do they put they additives in it, like BP's own gasoline. You won't know until 100K anyway. That's why some companies skimp on additives. No penalty tied to the brand.

What they need to do is raise the EPA standard to what is needed. Not what "seems" to run OK after a tank or two. It doesn't matter in a tank or two. It is the long term.

I think this idea is a lot marketing. My local station is Shell. When I took the intake off of my old Intrepid it took two cans of carb cleaner to get it close to clean. I was paying a few cents a gallon extra for the 'top tier'. It was dirty in there.
I still go there but now I also use Costco gas a good portion of the time.

I use top tier in the new Jeep, and my beater and work van see no-name gas. I see no difference at all, and the beater has been running on no-name gas for many years. I do add MMO to the gas at fill up, and FI cleaner every 3000-4000 miles. If I go to the next county no-name gas is 20-25 cents a gallon less than top tier. That really adds up.

Frank D

In town here the premium gasoline at most stations (like Speedway) is 92 octane, but a few brands (ex, Meijer, Shell) are 93. Does that suggest a different supplier? Or just some cheapening dilution at the stations with lower octane?

I know where our gasoline depot is in town, but is there more than one?

Incidentally, in my 97 i30 that recommends 91+ octane, Meijer premium consistently gets me the best mileage. Better than Speedway, better than Shell. BP has given me some of the worst. So much for big brand names.
wink.gif

Unfortunately I haven't documented the tank by tank details.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, our gas is from BP/ARCO, Shell, Tesoro, or ConocoPhillips/76 refineries (and maybe a small amount from U.S Oil & Refining). The individual brands may add their own additive package that will be superior for competitive reasons to the minimum the EPA requires.

BP/ARCO is the only brand that is immediately sub-standard. Gas mileage is worse from the first tank compared to any other brand.

I've found that the cheapest gas...ARCO and others...works just as well as the Top Tier brands if I add FP60 or FP-Plus at a lower total cost per gallon and lower total cost per mile.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
In town here the premium gasoline at most stations (like Speedway) is 92 octane, but a few brands (ex, Meijer, Shell) are 93. Does that suggest a different supplier?

I know where our gasoline depot is in town, but is there more than one?

Yes, likely. Around here in a rural area, most gasoline comes from the Sunoco terminal (from Philly) and then the additives are added to make the brand. Also United Refining in Bradford, PA (Kwik-Fill) supplies their own gasoline. Most stations around here are Sunoco, Mobil, Citgo, Kwik-Fill, and generic. there are vary rarely Exxons, Shells, and Gulfs.

Two local convenience store chains dominate the landscape, but sell various brands, along with no brand. These stations that sell Mobil gas get it from the Sunoco terminal with Mobil additives. The few Mobil stations that are not affiliated with one of these convenience store chains actually get their fuel from Mobil's terminal in Syracuse - 1.5 hrs away.

It doesn't matter much here, as the base gasoline is pretty much regulated to 10% ethanol with certain characteristics, so most fuel is generic. It is the additives that make it any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back