PS fluid in VW Jetta - Wrong Type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a friend attempt to top off the fluid in his '01 VR6 Jetta. He used cheapo Coastal brand "Power Steering Fluid". It was not labeled as ATF or anything of the sort, just PS fluid, amber in color like motor oil.

He wasn't aware of the type of fluid already present in the system, and added the new fluid right to it. Now the PS reservoir is foaming like a rabid dog, and the steering rack is locking up at certain points and groaning loudly.

We went to the VW dealer to buy the correct fluid to flush the system. It was Pentosin something-or-other at the tune of 9$ a quart! ***? He could only afford two quarts, and the color was GREEN. Long story short, two quarts were replaced. Instead of looking like a frothy chocolate milkshake, the fluid now looks like spoiled milk. Same steering problems.

What to do?

$9/q is the cheap stuff. CHF 11S is more like $20. I'd flush it out with good ATF, anything other than Dex III or Type F.

I think he may just have a bubble in there for now.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Surely there must be some equivalent fluid that does not cost 9$. That's robbery.

One liter of the proper fluid (VW G 002 000 or Pentosin CHF 11s) costs usually around $28. It's a hydraulic fluid that is also suitable for hydraulic suspensions in M-B, Volvo, Saab, BMW, Porsche etc. The fluid has a very wide operating temperature range. Considering the cost of a new steering rack, the cost of the proper fluid is negligible.

Maybe your friend needs to read his vehicle's manual. If he can't afford P/S fluid, he should probably walk or ride a bike.

The pics below show the VW PSF that your friend should have used originally. IIRC, I paid $20 for this bottle. As I understand it, if any other PSF (except Pentosin CHF11s) is used, it will ruin the seals in late model VW's. Sounds like that may be what happened to your friend. One last note: If he can only afford $9 for PSF, he won't be driving that VW very long.

2d7e8f46.jpg

d57b8ce5.jpg

1be2b42d.jpg

Note to moderators: Sorry for the big pics; I posted from work and don't have access to a photo re-sizer.

The can he has is metal, 1 liter in size, and labeled Pentosin CHF 11S with a green label and red cap. I'll take a pic when I get a chance. It could have been more than 9$, I just remember him complaining about the price.

Seems like the PS rack is butchered at least until he can get all that fluid flushed out.

Even though I do know the VW requirement for PS fluid, I have been using Valvoline Synpower PS fluid for over 45K with no problem in my VW Golf. Every time I do an oil change I would replace the fluid in the reservoir using my Mity-Vac. The best part is I got about 30 quarts of this stuff at Checker for $1/qt.

I don't think over 45K on Synpower PSF is bunk, expecially at $1/qt. I am not taking any chances at all with Synpower and laughing all the way to the bank. BTW, the Synpower PSF is a synthetic blend, the same as the VW PSF.

At the bottom of the PDF:

Quote:
This information only applies to products manufactured in the following location(s): Europe

also note the color of the fluid:

Colour green
I wonder if it's repackaged CHF11S.

BTW, the owner's manual for my 2006 Saab 93 says that you can top off with GM power steering fluid if the proper CHF11S fluid isn't available.

If you ask Valvoline they will tell you that is is just the dye. It is not repackaged CHF11S, and why would it be?

Remember the Valvoline 5W40 that was supposed to meet or exceed VW's spec? No one believes Valvoline until VW acknowledged the approval.

Is the Valvoline Synpower PSF sold in the USA dyed green and does it meet those specs listed in the data sheet you linked to?

I expect the answer to that is no.

The reason I would expect the Synpower PFS made and sold in Europe to be repackaged CHF11S is because there are a lot more cars in Europe that require CHF11S than there are here...and all the applications listed for that product are ones that use CHF11S.

Using Coastal was an expensive mistake. Had he just bought the Pentosin in the beginning for $20 everything would be peachy.

Flush and fill a few times with a proper compatible fluid or buy a few quarts of Pentosin and maybe the rack will be fine, then again maybe not if damage has already been done.

BTW make sure he doesn't use Prestone in the radiator when he tops up. That would be another expensive mistake.
06.gif

G12 and Prestone doesn't seem like a good idea. I'll spend the extra $15 bucks at the dealer for the purple stuff.

CHF-11S is not that expensive. It can be found at FCPGroton and others for around $15/qt. The PS system does not take much fluid so its not that bad.

Originally Posted By: Tones
CHF-11S is not that expensive. It can be found at FCPGroton and others for around $15/qt. The PS system does not take much fluid so its not that bad.

Well, if I buy it locally it's $28 per liter. If I buy it online it ends up the same due to shipping cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back