"an excellent solvent"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
If an engine has enough sludge for flushing to be considered, it s enough to cause potential problems when broken loose. A more gentle and generally accepted approach is to add a half quart of automatic transmission fluid (an excellent solvent), run the engine at idle for a half hour, then change the oil.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11042162?nclick_check=1

And we wonder who starts this garbage.

I can't open the link but if it is in the news paper it has to be the truth eh! Pablo.
blush.gif

Well, I hate to say it, but there is SOME merit to what is being said. ATF is a 20-weight oil, so it is thinner than some engine oil, especially stuff that is thick and sludgy.

If you put it in an engine like that, it will thin and remeve some of what is in there, like any 20-weight oil would. Is it the best product for the job? No, but it IS the cheapest alternative to any other engine flush.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Well, I hate to say it, but there is SOME merit to what is being said. ATF is a 20-weight oil, so it is thinner than some engine oil, especially stuff that is thick and sludgy.

If you put it in an engine like that, it will thin and remeve some of what is in there, like any 20-weight oil would. Is it the best product for the job? No, but it IS the cheapest alternative to any other engine flush.....

Fair cry from "an excellent solvent" to a very slight thinning effect. Maybe cheap, but so is peeing on the lawn for fertilizer. You are correct, a full 20 motor oil would be WAY better.

The original works on mine now too and I haven't changed a thing.

The attempt to connect to a big long https url at BITOG was real. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
H2SO4 is an excellent solvent, but would not put it in the engine. Prob blow out all the seals.

I think it would remove enough of the seal material that the oil could escape from the engine without blowing the seals.

Either way, I sort of meant it in a very general sense, but you are right, probably dissolve the seals.

Anyone have a beater you're ready to send off to the scrapyard? Might be a fun experiment.

Sulfuric acid? heck just don't change your oil ever like in the other thread, use some good SA oil that you are sure is high in sulfur,
water mist your intake and under the hood every so often and introduce some water through a breather tube so you are sure the condensation inside the engine gets nice and high, plug up the PCV valve so none of the good H2SO4 you are producing will escape in vapor, and find some good high-sulfur kerosene to put in the gas tank to mix, and you have your own H2SO4 producing machine! Should clean it right up!

Last edited:
oh and take it on lots of short trips, make sure that you don't ever warm the engine up all the way will help greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back