Toyota 2AZ-FE Serpentine Belt Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has an '04 Camry with the 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine. It has about 60k miles on it and the serpentine belt is in need of replacement. The belt squeals constantly, especially with the colder weather lately.

I find 60k to be a short life for a serpentine belt, especially for one that is automatically tensioned. This isn't the first time that I have seen a Toyota serpentine belt require replacement before 100k, is this a common problem with Toyotas?

What would be a good replacement belt? I told him to order a Gates serpentine belt from Amazon for $27. Hopefully it will last longer than the OE one.

I don't know, but I will be watching the replies.
Then again my Australian built Camry may have a totally different belt from a different manufacturer.

I'm *real* close to 120k on mine and it looks, works like new. (got a squeak on the teninsor when the temp drops below 30s. Goes away once the car has warmed up. Been that way since around 40K)

Slight cracks on the belt. I'll prob change it around 150k if it still looks the same.

Bill

Gates and Gatorback are good belts. Are you sure it is the belt? If it squeals constantly, it could be the tensioner or related pulley. If it was the belt, the squeal should go away after it warms up.

It seems a bit early for the tensioner to fail, but you could be right.

I'll tell him to replace the belt and check the other components and go from there.

60k is early to me. my dad's sentra has 93k on the OEM belt. I have 90k on my serpentine belt on my sunfire. belt has a few cracks but not bad.

Wifey's 04 Camry 2AZ-FE serpentine belt squeaks when cold also, and was replaced (with a new water pump, even though water pump was not necessary in this case) under warranty.

I suspect that the factory-spec'ed rubber compound, combined with the heat/ozone deterioration, may cause it to squeak a little.

I'm very tempted to have another one handy (Gates would be my better bet) and see if that would fix the problem entirely.

Q.

Squealing likely means the tension is loose. Check it! You should replace the belts when you start seeing a lot of cracks on the ribs, and if you see any fraying or cracks on the side and top of the belt, change it ASAP.

The squealing could also be a pulley.

I don't know if it is the belt or the tensioner or pulley that are responsible. Maybe a combination.
A little water sprayed on the belt while running would tell you if it is the belt.
You could also try revering the belt's direction. Check the pulleys while it is off.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Drew: these 2.4L engines are designed with 1 pc serpentine belt with automatic belt tensioner.

Q.

I realize that, but the tensioner spring could have gone bad.

I would definitely get the Gates belt but I bet the issue is with the tensioner being weak as I have gotten 100k out of all my Lexus belts easily and on the last one the tensioner was getting a bit weak at 151k when I traded it in.

These belts flex both ways, sort of like bending metal back and forth until it breaks. To expect 100,000 miles from this part that can leave you dead in the water is just plain crazy. Do it at 60,000 and if you do it yourself, it's the best $30 you'll spend on yourself today. Old style fan belts that just go around in circles, if adjusted properly and of reputable manufacture, can easily last 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: H2GURU
These belts flex both ways, sort of like bending metal back and forth until it breaks. To expect 100,000 miles from this part that can leave you dead in the water is just plain crazy. Do it at 60,000 and if you do it yourself, it's the best $30 you'll spend on yourself today. Old style fan belts that just go around in circles, if adjusted properly and of reputable manufacture, can easily last 100,000 miles.

thumbsup2.gif

Q.

Never had one go bad. They have Kevlar in them so if there are cracks in the belt, that's the time to replace.

It is not a replace @ 60k part on my Toyota. They say inspect @ 100k.

I'll save the $30 (since I've gone 120k miles with no problem)

Take care, bill

My mom had a 2002 Solara 2AZ-FE, and the belt squealed at 30K miles. I had a replacement Gates put on, too bad someone totaled the car at 63K miles.

I heard Toyota did issue a TSB or recall, saying that the tensioners on this engine were not built right and needed to be replaced.

That or the belt squeaks due to oil because the factory applied RTV on the oil pan gasket when they should have used a real gasket.

Thanks!

TSB# EG040-04 addresses this problem:

"Some 2001 -- 2004 model year Camry, Highlander, Solara and 2004 model year RAV4 vehicles with the 2AZ--FE engine may exhibit squealing and/or rattling noises coming from the engine compartment during vehicle operation especially after a cold soak. The belt tensioner assembly has been improved to correct this condition."

The powertrain warranty has expired, so I'm not sure if the dealer is going to cover this. Any idea if the Gates tensioner has been improved to correct this problem?

I came across this thread while searching for another.... anyone have any more info on this TSB, and or the Gates tensioner?

Thanks!

As an update, my friend had a new Genuine Toyota belt installed onto the car and it has resolved the problem. His tensioner was fine, but he only has 60k.

Originally Posted By: H2GURU

Not the best analogy since there is no metal at all in a serpentine belt. If the reinforcing cords were metal (e.g. hydraulic hose) then the analogy would be much more valid.

Also there are multiple ribs and reinforcing cords, so the failure of one cord will not lead to immediate belt breakage.If you look at the belt everytime you open the hood (and I do that), you should get warning of impending belt failure. I will let my belt go to 100k mi and then replace it.

Now, if the belt does not get inspected regularly then it only makes sense to replace the belt when it gets to about 60k mi since belt failure can leave you stranded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back