Any PAO Group IV basestock in Castrol Syntec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This excludes GC 0W30. So, even in newer formulations do any Castrol Syntec varieties contain any PAO Group IV basestock? Or, is it all Group III like everyone seems to think?

quote:

Originally posted by Grossomotto:
This excludes GC 0W30. So, even in newer formulations do any Castrol Syntec varieties contain any PAO Group IV basestock? Or, is it all Group III like everyone seems to think?

According to Castrol's MSDS, Syntec is composed of "60-90% Synthetic hydrocarbons" and "10-30% Multi-functional additive mixture composed of organo-metallic compounds, typically containing zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate, copolymers, calcium salts of alkylated phenol sulfides, polyolefins, polyolefin amide alkeneamines, and other proprietary ingredients."

Beats me....

cheers.gif

Bob W.

I believe their 5w-40/5w-50 formulations contain at least 20% PAO. This minimum level of PAO is normally required to pass the VW TDI, engine sequence test that is part of the ACEA, B4 catagory for TDI diesels.

There is an excellent SAE paper from 2002 that addresses this, called: "Formulation effects in a severe diesel engine passenger car test". The paper is authored by Infinium, which is additive company jointly owned by Royal Dutch Shell and EOM.

This paper clearly shows the superiority of PAO basestocks over Group III's in TDI diesel applications with regards to piston deposits and ring sticking.

Everyone with a VW TDI should read it....

Tooslick

Tooslick. I'm using the 5w40 grade
in my BMW as recommended by Castrol.
As I wrote in other treads, this oil
has the same specs as the Castrol TXT
Softec 5w40 made in Europe (Belgium).
I think all the castrol syntec lineup
as grp IV ester in the mix. The 5w40
syntec smells sweet like sweet maple
syrup
canada.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 2KBMW:
Tooslick. I'm using the 5w40 grade
in my BMW as recommended by Castrol.
As I wrote in other treads, this oil
has the same specs as the Castrol TXT
Softec 5w40 made in Europe (Belgium).
I think all the castrol syntec lineup
as grp IV ester in the mix. The 5w40
syntec smells sweet like sweet maple
syrup
canada.gif
grin.gif

That is the same oil I am using, and I agree with the sweet smell, however, I have been unable to match the Castrol USA Syntec 5w-40 PDS to that of any of their European formulas. If you have, can you please share the link, I am very curious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back