General Altimax HP ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it deserved a new thread, as there's no info on this relatively new tire...

ge_altimax_hp_ci2_l.jpg

more info:
http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T2
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+HP

After considering Kumho solus KH16 (want to try something different, and better in rain), and Goodyear TripleTred (too $$$ wifey says), I came across this tire :
There are close to 200 reviews on tirerack (and some elsewhere on the web) where the owners were very happy with the Altimax HP, and while not every single one of them may be an expert, they don't seem to be dumb either, judging by the specific details and descriptions they wrote; this tire got "superior" or "excellent" on all categories...sometimes even better than the GY tt.
and best of all, it's about $62 a tire.

SO:
I have 90% decided to get the Altimax HP for my wife's car. I'm wondering if I should get stock size (195/60/15) or go to 205/60/15 ...the cost is only a few $ different.

If any of you guys have further feedback on the Altimax HPs please let me know; I'd like to know more...

I know it's a bit of an "adventure" getting a tire that's not very popular,(AFAIK no one has these tires here) but I'm gonna try it....

I do think they're a very cool looking tire, but wet traction reports and safety reports is what interested me most about these tires....along with the price that's a lot less than GY TT's.

And by no means do I think that KH16 is bad: I have them (235/60/16) on my 1997 Tbird, and they are VERY decent for the price, but apart from dry traction, all other capabilities are just "decent" (for ex: wet traction); perhaps because it's a 4,000 lb car... I don't know, but I drive the Tbird VERY little, so I went with something cheap, and I was happy with them). There is nothing "special" about them, and they look pretty "ordinary" (NOT the deciding factor, just an observation)

SO, for wifey's Elantra, which we drive a LOT, I'm looking for something "more", and it seems General does have something far better than their previous models here with the Altimax HP. There's a 30-day return period at authorized dealers, and the superior reviews have convinced me to try them ...

will review if I do end up getting them (like I said it's "only" 90% decided)

any feedback on this tire is appreciated, just in case someone had/has them and didn't post about it...
Thanks.

I'd go 195-65r15 myself. Less weight more sidewall for a softer ride and better mileage through lower revs. Unless you want sporty then I'd go with the 205.

I've been meaning to post about this, actually (unless I already have and forgot about it, which is a possibility...).

I'm not a tire expert by any means. But, a couple weeks ago I replaced the stock Turanzas on my Civic with Altimax HPs in 205/55/16. So far I like them a lot! They're quieter than the stock tires, and while it may be placebo effect to some extent the car feels more "confident" wrt handling. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is; I never broke traction with the original tires or anything. I think it's some combination of better steering feel and less sidewall flex. I definitely enjoy driving the car more with these tires than with the Turanzas, though. I expect them to wear much better, as well.

Cosmetically, I think they have a really cool tread pattern.

My only complaint (a very, very minor one) is that they pick up more little rocks than my old tires did (even when they were new), I think because of the tread pattern. Not a big deal, but I drive over a dirt/gravel road every day out of my driveway so I notice it.

If you don't like the KH16, have you looked at the Kumho KR21? Looks to be a heckuva great tire, especially in rainy and snowy conditions, and they're cheap with an 85K warranty.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If you don't like the KH16, have you looked at the Kumho KR21? Looks to be a heckuva great tire, especially in rainy and snowy conditions, and they're cheap with an 85K warranty.

Thanks. I did consider them briefly.
they're only about $4 cheaper (if I go 205 instead of 195), and none of the Kumho dealers in my area have the KR21 in stock, almost only available online it looks like...The Altimax survey does seem to be even better (esp. on WET/snowy weather, which is my main goal this time), and it adds a bit of "looks", too, I think. And because I've tried a Kumho on my Tbird (KH16) AND on the Elantra (KH14-which was just "ok" and often sucked), I want to go with something a bit "fresher" :)

Check out the Pirelli P4 4 seasons as well. Those look to be likely as good or better then any all season tire in adverse weather conditions.

One thing I don't like visually about the tread in these General tires is there's hardly any siping! Especially in the center tread block.

hey thanks !
well, I guess it IS well liked by those who have it, and i think they suit my wifey's Elantra...gonna call around tonight to see which dealers have them..

Drew:
P4 4seasons (Pirelli) do look good on TR survery; but They're about $10.00 more/tire.
frown.gif
thanks again, though...I'm very grateful for the feedback.

Keep in mind also that these tires only have a 55K tread wear warranty. If you go with one of the other tires that has an 80-85K warranty and buy them from a shop that is good about honoring tread warranties, you might come out ahead with another tire, despite the fact these Generals are a little bit cheaper.

I have these tires on my 9-5. Where do I start....?

-best wearing tires I've had on any car ever
-best wet traction
-best dry traction of any A/S tire I've had
-quiet

I love them. I was trying to decide between these and the KH16's. Love em.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Great to hear more (+) stuff on this tire ... esp. vs. the KH16
BrianWC: which size did you get ??

I have a base turbo 9-5 so I run 215/55 16's. Mine are H-rated. I bought my set back in March and have put about 13-14k miles on them. So far so very good. I just rotated them about 3 weekends ago.

I have them on my rear now. When they go in front I'll tell you my opinion. I would definately go 205/60-15, a great size.

Thanks Brian :)

Thanks Audi Junkie:
yeah I really hope to go 205/60/15, hope the tire place won't have a problem with going to that size (oem is 195/60/15). Some of them are a bit hesitant doing stuff like that.

Might want to take a look at Kumho ASX. It's Ultra High Performance A/S, V rated, and in either size you're looking at it's $52 at TireRack. Maybe your car doesn't require UHP but when you can get it for $52, might want to consider.

Treadepot.com apparently is back to free shipping and good deals on the ASX. I don't think that tire is too great on heavy cars like the TB. I'd want the Yoko TRZ. As for the Generals, imo get the RT because of wear.

Oh no; wifey just wants a touring/grand touring A/S tire with good/decent Tread wear and decent handling (Not UHP level handling, but you know; safe and sure, etc).
She doesn't need any UHP tires... this car is an Elantra, and it's a DD.

Last time I had some Yoko AVS decibels on my Tbird (UHP a/s); they handled great; but sucked on tread ware (as expected).

So i think the Altimax HP fits wife's needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back