5W-30 vs 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using 5W-30 in my vehicles but found a good deal on some Pennzoil 5W-20 synthetic blend . Will it be a problem if I switch to 5W-20? I have a high mileage Ford Crown Vic, Honda Accord and Toyota Corolla. Thanks for responses

I really can't think of a topic that will stir the pot more than this one.

My bottom line is you should be fine........but watch your oil level a little closer....consumption may be a little higher in the older vehicle.

The Pennzoil contains a good dose of Calcium and Moly and has produced some pretty good UOA numbers.

I am sure you will gets lots of different opinions.

Good Luck

for the crown vic and honda, if they are late models, they may be specced for it anyway.

what is your driving profile? Are most trips less tan or more than 10-15 miles? For the cars that the trips are usually less than that, the oil doesnt get up to temperature anyway, even in Fl.

JMH

The first too might be ok since 5W20 is used in them now and Ford has made it retroactively the prefered oil in those vechiles previously running 5W30 as preffered. THe Honda is much like the Ford. The Toyota will probably not like it at all!!! I would consider a UOA on the 5W20 in the Toyota a mandatory thing!!!

Toyotas can use 20wts, this came from a Japanese owners manual for a 2002 Toyota 2AZ-FE.

-

Crown Vic is 95, Honda is 99 4 cyl and Corolla is 2001. I appreciate the info. The Ford uses some oil now. Would the lighter oil have a cleaning affect? I usually change between 3,000 and 4,000 miles.

Crown Vic is 95, Honda is 99 4 cyl and Corolla is 2001. I appreciate the info. The Ford uses some oil now. Would the lighter oil have a cleaning affect? I usually change between 3,000 and 4,000 miles.

I just picked up 8 quart of Quaker State 5W20 at Walmart on sale. It's like water. I'm used to 15W40 or straght 30 weight. I've noticed that you, like myself, live in Florida, so the low "5" number is unnecessary, (even in North Florida). I went ahead and bought the 5W20 to add one quart at a time in a five quart change for the very reason you mentioned. Of what I have read, products like "Rislone" and "Marvel Mystery Oil" are about a 20 weight, with less additives than modern motor oils. They were great back in the day, but now . . . . They still clean to a certain degree, but I am firmly convinced that this is because they are such a light weight oil, therefore flow faster, and because of that, "scrub" somewhat better. Therefore, the light weight 5W20 should function as good if not better as a cleaning oil that most of the old fashioned "cleaning" additives on the market today. Just my two cents worth
wink.gif

I wonder what they consider high speed driving? I seem to recall hearing that the speed limit on most Japanese highways was about 50-60MPH.

My owner's manual for my Mitsu pickup truck warned (in English) that 5W-20 was not to be used in long high speed drives. I don't know just what they meant by high speed but I took my cue from that.

So...it would be cool to switch down to a 5w-20 in the winter in my Grand Am (spec'd to use 5w30)? I use M1 5w-30 now, but have a nice stash of GC planned for the summer
grin.gif
, but I was thinking of maybe picking up some Motorcraft 5w-20 for winter use....
dunno.gif

[ April 15, 2005, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: bighead ]

quote:

Originally posted by genie47:
AndyH,

I believe the footnote says "Not recommended for prolonged high speed driving."

Wrong. The footnote translates into:

"The Environment Ministry has declared 5w20 a superb oil for fuel economy."

quote:

Originally posted by krholm:
My owner's manual for my Mitsu pickup truck warned (in English) that 5W-20 was not to be used in long high speed drives. I don't know just what they meant by high speed but I took my cue from that.

They saying ONLY use a 5w20 when hauling a heavy load around town all day in stop and go traffic.
confused.gif
mad.gif
dunno.gif
Sounded good for a second.

"I believe the footnote says "Not recommended for prolonged high speed driving.""

And Ford doesn't recommend 5W20 as a replacement for 5w30 for all vehicles, but of course 5W-20 offers the same protection :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back