Any one burn waste in there Diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats have got to be the most worthless engines ever made. Well, the older ones were okay. However, the ones produced in the past 10 years are at best awful. In trucks, they cost the most maintain and they get the worst fuel mileage bar none. They're so bad in fact that by I believe 2010 you won't even be able to get a Kenworth or Peterbilt with one because they are going to stop using them. Their sales have dropped significantly because of their "marriage" to Cat. The bearrings in Cat engines are so soft that their fail safe in the event an injector goes bad has diesel being pumped into the radiator rather than the crankcase. I've been around just about every diesel ever made, and I will confidently say that Cats are by far the worst engines around.

The old Cat engines in our buses (straight 6's) are tanks. Even I can't kill them!
LOL.gif

Interesting stuff !! I will repeat the warning about using anything but pump diesel in new (common rail) diesels. WMO , WVO etc , etc , in a common rail will destroy the pump and injectors. The viscosity of WMO etc is way too high and will cause the the already high (upto 1800 Bar !!!) fuel pressure to go off the scale , this will turn the pump to scrap within seconds only slightly slower than the injectors which are Piezo type and almost like micro chips !!! Unlike my old Lister CS slow speed Diesel which I will be using to make almost free heat and power running on any waste oil I can find !!

i have a 1996 isuzu npr diesel truck and i put in 1 to 2 gallons of waste motor oil every other tank.

i havent noticed any extra smoking, noise etc.

A little off topic, but years ago my house was heated with oil. Just before an oil drop I would take filtered waste oil in a clean container, about 2-4 gallons at a time IIRC and add that to the 500 gallon oil tank. It would be used to heat the house w/o issue. It was pretty easy and I never had any problems what so ever. There was also an inline filter just before the burner so the oil was filtered again before being burnt to make heat.

I would probably burn about 15 or so gallons of oil/season back in the day. By todays standards thats about 1 free tank of gas in one of my vehicles.

Frank D

Originally Posted By: evoboy
Interesting stuff !! I will repeat the warning about using anything but pump diesel in new (common rail) diesels. WMO , WVO etc , etc , in a common rail will destroy the pump and injectors. The viscosity of WMO etc is way too high and will cause the the already high (upto 1800 Bar !!!) fuel pressure to go off the scale , this will turn the pump to scrap within seconds only slightly slower than the injectors which are Piezo type and almost like micro chips !!! Unlike my old Lister CS slow speed Diesel which I will be using to make almost free heat and power running on any waste oil I can find !!

if you thin and adjust the WMO down to exact viscosity/specific gravity of diesel fuel, it burns just fine in a 2007 common rail Cummins 5.9 turbodiesel. No issues whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back