5w20 Mobil1 vs 5w20 Castrol Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

5w20 Mobil1 vs 5w20 Castrol Syntec

any thoughts ... on this ..?

Why only 5W20 ? If I have a choice for xW20 I would choose M1 0W20. The same for xW30, M1 0W30 is preferred over 5W30 or 10W30 of all oils similarly priced.

Mazda recommends 5w20 .. I guess I could goo 0w20 ...
But It will be super hard to find it In Canada..

M1 0w-20 isn't all that easy to find here either. Even when it was readily available, it wasn't in large supply in most of the places I went ..especially WM.

Yeah, it was odd, only some Canadian tires used to carry it up here..... ????

Ndx, what are your reasons for limiting your selection to these two choices?

because those are the only 5w20 that i can find at decent price and In Jugs ... I hate to deal with small bottles ..

IS there any other good option ?

May be because the "0" scares most people, one local WM had 0W20 and 0W40 on clearance for $2/qt, I cleared all of it with one big smile on my face.

I Saw some Valvoline HM 5w20 Syn Blend .. super cheap ..

i could live with ... Quarts but do we have any Group 4 oil available in Canada .. Beside Amsoil/RP/RL ? Anything ?

or stick with M1 ? but who really knows if its group 4 ?

Originally Posted By: Ndx
or stick with M1 ? but who really knows if its group 4 ?

It is. I was recommending the 0-weight because of our climate
grin2.gif

Mobil 1 is a group 4? Are we going to go over this again? No one is sure what it is. They will not even say. It might be 100% PAO or 51%.

But staying on topic......Mobil 1 out of those 2 choices. Just run what the manufacturer says.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Mobil 1 is a group 4? Are we going to go over this again? No one is sure what it is. They will not even say. It might be 100% PAO or 51%.

But staying on topic......Mobil 1 out of those 2 choices. Just run what the manufacturer says.

A check of the Mobil website shows at least 15 different formulations and weight combinations of Mobil 1. I suspect that the percentage of PAO varies, and I would expect a higher percentage PAO in the OW40, the EP's, and the High Mileage formulations, and maybe the truck formulations. "Mobil 1" really covers a wide range of different motor oils, and you need to specify which one you are referring to in any discussion of its propertys and virtues.

Originally Posted By: ZZman

Unless you have evidence that contradicts Doug Hillary's..... Which came FROM Exxon-Mobil.....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all Doug said was that anything with "supersyn" on the bottle contains some PAO. Since 5w20 contains "50% more supersyn", it may be deduced that while the PAO content is very high, it is possible there is still GroupIII mixed in ... Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Anyway, I'd go w/ the M1 5w20.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all Doug said was that anything with "supersyn" on the bottle contains some PAO. Since 5w20 contains "50% more supersyn", it may be deduced that while the PAO content is very high, it is possible there is still GroupIII mixed in ... Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Anyway, I'd go w/ the M1 5w20.

I was pretty sure he said that any of the ones that say Supersyn are primarily PAO based. I could be wrong. Perhaps he'll chime-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back