Mobil1 5w-20 EP versus 0w-20 Adv Fuel Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I have an 06 Ody. Trying to decide whether to go with the Mobil1 5w-20 Extended Performance or the 0w-20 Advanced Fuel Economy.

Which oil is better? Thinking of going with the EP but my perception in reading posts here is that the EP isn't worth the extra money. Am I wrong? If the costs were same, which one would you go with?

I'm going with the MID or every 6 months since I'm under warranty....

I don't like going with extended change intervals.
You can tell from the dip stick when to change the oil.
I check my level on a weekly basis,and notice by 5000 miles even mobil one looks like coffee on the cloth when checking the level.
It most likely has some life left,but has definately done it's job.

Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
I check my level on a weekly basis,and notice by 5000 miles even mobil one looks like coffee on the cloth when checking the level.

You can not tell from the dipstick on when to change the oil.

The spec's for M1 5w20 EP look good, but there are no UOA's for that particular grade.

I would also consider Amsoil 0w20. I think it's the best 20wt right now.

Color is irrelevant for the most part. Ever look at diesel oil? Black as ink after starting the engine once post-change. Some add packs are thermally activated, and time at temperature causes coloration changes.

Other than in SEVERE cases, one cannot tell from the dipstick that it is time to make the change.

Buster's correct on this. You can NOT tell by the look of oil (or smell or feel) on the dipstick when it's time to change. Oil in most diesel engines will appear to be a skanky mess within a few hours of operation, despite it being very fresh. Some oils have an additive package that "naturally" turns dark relatively quickly. Too many variables in play to make a call based upon looks alone.

Of the few oil analysis' I've seen here with EP (as a whole) none were really exemplary. For me it would not be worth the extra coins.

You are now on the road to learning. As others have said the color does not mean the oil is shot.

And I forgot to add that if the choice was between just the two cited oils, I'd take the 0w-20 any day. Around here, it's a least a buck cheaper per quart, AND the 0w oils are actually preferred for my car (Camry hybrid) anyway. In my climate, I'd rarely get any benefit from the marginally better super-cold performance, but OTOH, I see no reason at all to prefer the EP.

I'd go with the EP. Slightly higher density and flash point one of the lowest pour points -51. And a hair thicker at operating temp. But AFE also looks good on paper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: momomeister
What if they were about the same cost?

If I live in Upper-Midwest or in Canada, I would choose 0W20 for winter, specially for shorter trips. For longer trips and/or summer times and longer OCI's, EP would be my pick.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
And I forgot to add that if the choice was between just the two cited oils, I'd take the 0w-20 any day. Around here, it's a least a buck cheaper per quart, AND the 0w oils are actually preferred for my car (Camry hybrid) anyway. In my climate, I'd rarely get any benefit from the marginally better super-cold performance, but OTOH, I see no reason at all to prefer the EP.

You may want to consider ENEOS 0W-20.
It is manufactured by Nippon Oil who supplies the factory fill 0W-20 to Toyota.

IMHO:

0w20 if you're living in very cold/winter climate, or if you do lots of frequent trips.

5w20EP if you do loads of interstate driving or rack up high mileage quickly.

Other than that, 0w20 seems like a superior oil, if you're not looking at extended UOAs.

Hi guys,

I found something interesting..

"AMSOIL stands apart from the competition.
AMSOIL has always formulated its products to be the absolute best, continually researching ways to make its already outstanding products even better. Other oil companies, however, are beholden to shareholders, and one could speculate that their incentive is to maximize profit. They formulate oils down to a price, rather than formulating them to be the best they can be. Then, they price their products to maximize profits. In addition, AMSOIL has 33 years of experience blending premium extended drain synthetic oils. That’s 33 years worth of proven performance in the field.

A close look at ExxonMobil’s new long drain motor oil line reveals that two are petroleum based, one is a synthetic blend and only one, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, is a full synthetic. The petroleum based products are recommended for 5000 mile drains, the synthetic blend for 7500 mile drains and Extended Performance for 15,000 mile drains. However, a look at the fine print reveals that ExxonMobil is still recommending drivers follow the oil drain recommendations listed in their owners manuals during the warranty period. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are recommended for 25,000 mile or one year drain intervals in both new and older vehicles. The AMSOIL warranty stands behind this recommendation."

From http://www.bestsynthetic.com/mobil_ext.shtml

Is this enough proof to safely say that M1 EP is Group IV?

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
Hi guys,

I found something interesting..

"AMSOIL stands apart from the competition.
AMSOIL has always formulated its products to be the absolute best, continually researching ways to make its already outstanding products even better. Other oil companies, however, are beholden to shareholders, and one could speculate that their incentive is to maximize profit. They formulate oils down to a price, rather than formulating them to be the best they can be. Then, they price their products to maximize profits. In addition, AMSOIL has 33 years of experience blending premium extended drain synthetic oils. That’s 33 years worth of proven performance in the field.

A close look at ExxonMobil’s new long drain motor oil line reveals that two are petroleum based, one is a synthetic blend and only one, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, is a full synthetic. The petroleum based products are recommended for 5000 mile drains, the synthetic blend for 7500 mile drains and Extended Performance for 15,000 mile drains. However, a look at the fine print reveals that ExxonMobil is still recommending drivers follow the oil drain recommendations listed in their owners manuals during the warranty period. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are recommended for 25,000 mile or one year drain intervals in both new and older vehicles. The AMSOIL warranty stands behind this recommendation."

From http://www.bestsynthetic.com/mobil_ext.shtml

Is this enough proof to safely say that M1 EP is Group IV?

Any M1 grade that says Supersyn on the label is PAO based.

Exxon-Mobil suggests you follow the MANUFACTURER's warranty requirements to maintain your new vehicle warranty. Amsoil offers their own warranty; since following their extended drain schedule will invalidate your factory warranty.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Exxon-Mobil suggests you follow the MANUFACTURER's warranty requirements to maintain your new vehicle warranty. Amsoil offers their own warranty; since following their extended drain schedule will invalidate your factory warranty.

FULLY PAO based?

"Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-50 are made with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with an advanced additive system, designed especially to deliver performance and protection during longer service intervals."

Do they mean, blend of PAO and GroupIII basestocks? or PAO with a blend of additives? =D

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

FULLY PAO based?

"Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-50 are made with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with an advanced additive system, designed especially to deliver performance and protection during longer service intervals."

Do they mean, blend of PAO and GroupIII basestocks? or PAO with a blend of additives? =D

They are the world's largest manufacturer of PAO and Ester base stocks. You tell me.

Doug Hillary has already posted on this a number of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back