Castrol synthetic 75w90 vs. Royal Purple Diff. oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have an opinion on if Royal Purple is worth the extra cash for this application? (Found Castrol for 8.99 locally, Royal purple is 16.99) It's to go in a Subaru Outback with 225,000 miles.

I would not pay nearly double for RP, but that's just me. That's how much it costs here as well. The Castrol is decent and the price you found is not bad either. My personal favorite is Schaeffers 293 75W-90 blend, but is harder to find in some locales. IMO it is worth looking for.

Amsoil, eh? I'll check into that. I haven't found Schaeffer's around here. Thanks a lot guys.

Originally Posted By: furthermore
Anyone have an opinion on if Royal Purple is worth the extra cash for this application? (Found Castrol for 8.99 locally, Royal purple is 16.99) It's to go in a Subaru Outback with 225,000 miles.

$16.99 for 75W-90 MaxGear? Man are you getting boned in a big way.
shocked2.gif
It is GREAT stuff and yes I would run it instead of the Castrol BUT NOT FOR THAT CRAZY PRICE!

I pay $8.99 - $9.75 for RP 75W-90 depending on where I get it. $16.99 is a CRIME! No gear oil is worth that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mobil 1 75W-90 should be available at your local Advance Auto for around $10 a quart.

Probably a better choice than either of the two gear oils you have mentioned.

Hi,
furthermore - I have used both Castrol and Mobil's synthetic GL5 75W-90 lubricants with equal results. The application? - the differentials in my Class 8 500hp Linehaul trucks

I carried out a lot of UOAs and the lubricants were changed at 1m kms (620k miles) intervals. They performed identically!

Both reduced seal replacements to almost zero and operating temperatures by up to 20C

Use either of these products with great confidence in the appropriate application

The cost in Australia is about >$A20 per litre!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Mobil 1 75W-90 should be available at your local Advance Auto for around $10 a quart.

Probably a better choice than either of the two gear oils you have mentioned.

Not!

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Where are you guys finding these prices?

I can't find any brand synthetic gear oil under 16$ a quart locally.

I get my RP through a local speed shop be it oil, atf, or gear oil. If I went to the parts chains like Napa, PepBoys, etc... for it I would be paying $10-$11. $16 is ludicrous I don't care what brand it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back