2004 BMW X5 4.8 Oil Consumption Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil Experts,
Help this poor owner out!!!

Link

Also, please make some oil recommendations. I suggested using Amsoil ASL 5w-30 (since it is A3/B3 rated) and sticking with 7500 mile oil changes once the problem has been resolved.

Michael

[ April 11, 2005, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Michael Wan ]

I don't know about this owner, basically waiting for the idiot light to come on to add oil, not checking on a regular basis. She seems to come off with a bit of attitude.

the problem with BMW is that it used to be a brand dominated by car enthusiasts. People who enjoyed a car that was designed to give an EXCELLENT driving experience, because they offered very well designed vehicles.

Now every idiot that wants to show off leases a 3 series or a BMW SUV. In reality they dont care about the driving experience, except that it has the 'pickup' required to accelerate ahead and cutoff the schmuck in the inferior car.

Maintenance, what maintenance? Who needs to know anything about a car? Its not like Ill have it long enough for anything to ever break or go wrong.

Give me a BMW with vinyl seats, MT and air conditioning. Nothing else. Not a status symbol, not a showoff car, just something that is enjoyable to drive.

(Rant Off)

Id say that siad amsoil oil is one of the best bets for her vehicle. BMW oils in the xw-30 range dont seem to be that great.

GC would be another good choice.

Seems that she is doing something wrong having to add over 2 GALLONS of oil to that engine. I can see if it was a quart at a time, but a gallon then 1.25 gallon additions? Thats a lot of oil to be putting in. I doubt the sump is more than 6-7 quarts.

Sounds to me like something else is going on.

At the same time, to be fair, on the internet, one typically only reads about those who actually have the lemons or problematic cars. The thousands of satisfied owners are usually quiet, even if the majority of them are part of the same forum.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by ediamiam:
I don't know about this owner, basically waiting for the idiot light to come on to add oil, not checking on a regular basis. She seems to come off with a bit of attitude.

what do you mean once, it happened onc time, she knew it was low and corrected it....and never checked it again until the light came on AGAIN...

The first time i understand, new vehicle, you wouldnt think it would use oil...but not checking it again when she KNEW it used oil was a bit er, neglegent....

darrell
sin city

Actually the sump is 8.5 quarts.

The old odd thing about my X5 4.4 (but it seems like it's just a common thing among us X5 owners) is that coolant seems to go never-never land.

I usually end up topping off a pint& a half usually during my spring OCI and also my fall/winter OCI.

This is a poorly built car. Suggesting advice for oil is not the answer. This car needs to be taken back and exchanged for a new one. I have done it before by contacting the Better Business Bureau.

I had similar problems once when I purchased a ML from a Mercedes dealer (transmission problem). I refused to return the loaner car until they could guarantee that the problem was fixed. Dealers are extremely disrespectful to women. She has got to show them that she means business.

Not to offened but since bimmers became yuppie cars they are imo not built like they used to be in the late 60' to the early 80's they were built solid,now I wouldn't buy one,

Folks, it'd be great if we could discuss the actual causes of the oil consumption in this SUV.

I only reason that I can think of so far, is, perhaps rings that weren't seated properly?

Michael

we are discussing.

Owner idiocy can very well be a reason.

Poor engine design can be a reason... Lets not forget that BMW isnt exactly known for making the best v8 engine blocks...

I6 engines are their forte.

JMH

This is a quote from that lady from that link:

"...However, even when I filled 3 whole quarts (each quart at separate times, checking the level after each quart) and drove the car all day, the warning was STILL on. .."

so does this mean she DROVE the car ALL day WHILE the warning light was STILL ON?

How can she fight against the dealership if she did that? that wasn't very smart.
nono.gif

she doesn't state where the oil level was, when she checked the level each time after adding each quart (3 times)... if it wasn't full, and the light was on, she should NOT have driven the thing, imo.

Quote: "btw when my car's engine oil level warnings came on, and i opened the oil cap, there was a ton of steam coming out of the cap"

If its steam, where do you think its coming from? No mention of coolant or overflow tank condition. Must be waiting for the low coolant light to come on before checking the level. 12000 miles in 6 months is a good chunk of mileage on the road to be driving without checking fluids. Sounds like something is blown. If it was me driving, and my car, I would call it self-abuse.

That's weird. She indicated the oil level was right below the min mark, which means 1 quart low. She then filled it with quart after quart, waiting 15 minutes in between (doesn't sound too dumb to me!), and it was still low? Hmmmmmmmm. Perhaps she's not noticing the huge freakin puddle under the vehicle
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
That's weird. She indicated the oil level was right below the min mark, which means 1 quart low. She then filled it with quart after quart, waiting 15 minutes in between (doesn't sound too dumb to me!), and it was still low? Hmmmmmmmm. Perhaps she's not noticing the huge freakin puddle under the vehicle
dunno.gif

This situation has been misunderstood by many. What she meant by "under the min mark" was that she did not see any oil on the dipstick, except for perhaps, a thin coat of it on the end of the dipstick.

It happened to me a few times myself, I checked the oil level on an 84 Civic, and it showed a drop of dirty oil on the dipstick. I added 1 quart, and it still showed only 1 drop on the end of the dipstick. After adding an additional quart, the level was between the min and max marks. I think that this lady is in the same situation.

Michael

quote:

Originally posted by ediamiam:
Quote: "btw when my car's engine oil level warnings came on, and i opened the oil cap, there was a ton of steam coming out of the cap"

If its steam, where do you think its coming from? No mention of coolant or overflow tank condition. Must be waiting for the low coolant light to come on before checking the level. 12000 miles in 6 months is a good chunk of mileage on the road to be driving without checking fluids. Sounds like something is blown. If it was me driving, and my car, I would call it self-abuse.

Most cars do this, even when full with oil. I guess its a little bit of flashoff, a little blowby and a little condensation evaporation
dunno.gif
All I knw is that plenty of healthy engines will have a little smoke/steam/whatever come out if you open the cap right after having the engine on for a long while, provided the cap cloises right on the valve cover (never seen it on a fill that has a tube/neck).

If there was a large qualtity, this means that the oil was way overheated and essentilly cooking in there.

I have to wonder if she looked under the car for a puddle, etc.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back