Toyota vs. Napa/Wix oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did an oil change on my 05 Toyota 4Runner (first time for me) and was wondering if there are any significant performance concerns between the Toyota oil filter (90915-YZZD3) and the NAPA Gold/Wix (1348) due to the height difference and or sealing gasket? The NAPA filter is a little shorter then the OE Toyota.

I was going to stock-up on one or the other…any recommendations?

Thanks!

I would use the Wix over the Toyota in my 03 4Runner because I think it is better built. However right now I am running the Yzzd3 just because I had 1 left in my stash.

Cut open the filters "after you use them". Other than a filter failure there isn't a whole lot of difference between filters . The air filter is the most important filter there is.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
What end cap is used on the wix? Toyota has cardboard, FWIW.
What is wrong with "cardboard" What is the element made from?

Depends on the filter media used in the Toyota filter. If it is a synthetic media than either one. If not then use the Napa Gold.

My father bought a 07 Camry, he bought a flat of toyota OEM filters, he was impressed with the OEM filter that came with new car, he WAS NOT impressed with the quality of the flat from Toyota, no comparison in quality. He ran one of these OEM filters (bought at toyata service desk) in one OCI, my brother tore it apart after, the filter media was clean, the bypass area and tunnel area did show some soot, the oil was only hitting the bypass area.

My father has the toyota filters and wont give them away because his concience would bother him if someone used that junk on thier Toyota. Now he uses nothing but Baldwin after my brother tore a Baldwin apart after the next Camry OCI. The oil actually flowed thru the Balwin media rather than just the bypass, the Badwin was pretty much same size as OEM Toyota.

The comfort we get in Baldwin is that most their filters have a bypass of 14 - 20 lbs per sq in their OEM filter replacement that call for 8-11 OEM, this obviously means the oil flows thru Balwin media and not just the bypass, my brother found this out first hand. I assume that if a Baldwin filter has a higher bypass setting of 14-20 which is made for a OEM application filter which is only 8-11 then the Baldwin filter media gets a chance to actually work.

My cheap off shore Nissan OEM garbage filters were doing exactly the same thing in only flowing the bypass, now my baldwins are filtering oil with the media with real flow, there is something to this IMO.

I greatly appreciate Balwin, one can email Balwin and get the ABSOLUTE Beta readings of each filter, find your filter needs in Balwin and send the numbers to Balwin via email and they give absolute beta ratios, this is real ratings. Baldwin are excellent in this service, I have Absolute beta on every baldwin I use, to note for example, a B11 Balwin for a Duramax (I got one for a customer's Durarmax recently) has a Absolute Beta of 22 for a $8.75 Baldwin filter, the Champion made AC Delco filter for $13.00 is an absolute beta of 40, many people buy a Baldwin B11 filter for their Duramax because of extreme 100 psi flow cold, the baldwin filter is much strong than the AC Delco Champion made one. My cummins Baldwin B339 in the lowest line Baldwin for my cummin, it has absolute Beta of 30, I have to buy a Strata Pore Fleetguard at $6.00 more to meet that Beta ratio. My family are doing our homework on pricing and quality in Baldwin.

Balwin also uses a syn blend media in smaller filters, they do offer full syn in larger filters, Baldwin uses syn blend media in smaller filters because they believe full syn media may have structural problems in tight casings, may be something to that in thier research.

Road King, compare a Baldwin in price and construction, tear them apart after each OCI as my brother did, ( he is a heavy duty and light duty ticketed mechanic). He has torn apart other filters and researched their absolute beta readings, everything comes up Baldwin in price, beta and construction. It is all my large family will use on every thing we drive after his research and experiments. My father's B37 Baldwin for his toyota is $4.00 less than Toyota OEM, My B1402 Baldwin is $4.00 less than Nissan OEM, that Nissan filter is cardboard [censored].

I can buy a B2-HPG Baldwin full syn media filter to fit my old 87 Nissan truck, this is a huge filter for a ford PH8 that will give me great cold weather flow and filtration, I will run it all winter with 0-30 XD3 syn HDEO and this filter is $11.00, less money than a micro piece of junk OEM Nissan filter which is 2 5/8" X 2 1/2", geeeeese I wonder why only the bypass works on these tonka toy filters with only a 8-11 bypass???? This Baldwin B2-HPG actually has a front bypass of 8 but with the large filter syn media the oil will actually flow thru the syn media, thus the front low bypass is nearly a mute point in such a quality filter.

I have the absolute beta on my hardrive for this B2-HPG, this filter is actually made for both hydraulic and oil applications, anything in hydraulic application is quality to meet that standard, anyone with ford engines this is a great deal for any old Nissan or Ford needing a ph8 size filter.

I am rambling so ending now, I am not a baldwin sales man, but I carry one of the Baldwin filters which was we tore appart in a plastic container to show all my customers than great construction of these Baldwins, even the machining on the thread of the Balwin are polished and refined with great care and it is NOT Denso or off shore cheap cardboard [censored], IT IS AMERICAN quality.

Cyprs

I've yet to read of one Toyota OEM filter failure that caused any type of engine damage. There was some commentary about the Thailand-made filters and their unique designs, but again, not one single example where these filters did anything other than filter oil properly. I've run the OEM's, but more importantly Bill In Utah has run them (and just about everything else) & posted data on them...and there's nada/nix/nothing to demonstrate that they are not fine filters. That said, if you can get Wix or Gold filters for cheaper than OEM, go for it; but this decision should be entirely based on price per unit, not unproven conjecture and "could happen" scenarios.

I am not saying that any toyota or nissan engine using respective OEM filters are going to blow up engines.

What I am saying is that we tore apart toyota and nissan filters after OCI's, did the same with balwins replacement OEMs.

My conclusion is if I have a choice between Filter A) which filter's media is actually working rather than just the bypass like filter B) and if filter A) is made of high quality materials rather than cardboard like filter B and if Filter A) is actually $6.00 less then I have to prefer filter A) to protect my engine. I will go as far as to say that if Filter A) cost $6.00 more than filter B)which I believe it should then I would still buy filter A) for more money. I resent paying $6.00 more for cardboard construction filters in OEM.

On the Nissan forum there are 15 pictures showing how cheap and substandard Nissan OEM filters are made, Toyota filters are also under scrutiny as cheap offshore Denzos in poor quality in forums. It was these accesses to this infomation that encouraged us to start tearing these OEM toyota and nissan filters apart because we were using them in our toyota and nissan engines with confindence until we read and saw what these filters are. This is what oil forums are all about to us, reading, getting informed and doing ones homework tearing filters apart to validate or discredit what is said.

We did not take anyones word or pictures for granted, we physically tore Nissan and toyota filters apart and proved to our selves that these sourses questioning the quality of OEM nissan and toyota filters are credible. Anyone else can do the same as we did and prove or discredit what we found.

I only passed on what we found and how we have changed our engine maintenance to improve longevity of our engines. I invite any one to tear these filters apart themselves as we did.

In ending, only having the bypass working is not going to do short term damage, the cardboard probably will hopefully hold out, how many people inspect their cardboard OEM filter at end of each OCI to be sure? I prefer to have the filter media actually working and I sleep better at night knowing the filter is NOT cardboard construction and that I am not paying $6.00 more per unit for substandard protection. this is what I am saying. I brought Nissan OEM filter substandard construction to Nissan and they wont reply, wonder why?

Cyprs

"The comfort we get in Baldwin is that most their filters have a bypass of 14 - 20 lbs per sq in their OEM filter replacement that call for 8-11 OEM, this obviously means the oil flows thru Balwin media and not just the bypass,'

Running a 14-20 psi relief valve in an engine that calls for an 8-11 relief valve is starving your engine for oil on startup. You can change the size, micron rating or whatever else you want in filters, but need to stick with the right relief valve for your engine, pump, etc.

Just about every filter manufacturer makes the right one for a given application. There is a reason for designs and differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back