Windows OneCare going away, replaced by Morro

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://mcpmag.com/news/article.asp?editorialsid=1712

"[Symantec] views [Microsoft's] announcement as a capitulation and a reinforcement of the notion that it's simply not in Microsoft's DNA to provide high-quality, frequently updated security protection," stated Rowan Trollope, Symantec's senior vice president of consumer business, in an e-mail.

That's laughable! Seeing how bad the last several offerings were from Symantec could MS make a worse A-V product than Symantec??

Ahhhh, Symantec, the makers of a system maintenance suite that uses more resources than the OS hosting it. Only THEY would make such outlandish comments.... And with such conviction!

Well, so much for renewing the OneCare subscription on my desktop. I also have to renew for my laptop, though I'm running Kaspersky (sp?) on the Toshiba.

I had read recently what seemed to be a really positive review of Norton's latest edition of Internet Suite. Don't ask me for a link to the review, I can't recall who wrote it. Obviously, some software guru. They seemed to indicate that the new Norton Suite was more "low key," in that it forced less interaction with the user. Kaspersky, on the other hand, reacts to almost everything I do on the laptop. I know some of it relates to how I have it configured, but it seems a little too proactive for me.

Too bad about OneCare, though. I thought they had a decent thing going there.

Last edited:
I have Kaspersky A/V.

Internet Security is a redundant pain in the behind.

Norton's went down the tubes after '02 (last Norton version I purchased). About the only good thing left is Ghost (or whatever it's new successor is called).

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I have Kaspersky A/V.

Internet Security is a redundant pain in the behind.

Norton's went down the tubes after '02 (last Norton version I purchased). About the only good thing left is Ghost (or whatever it's new successor is called).

'03 was the last year that their antivirus wasn't bloat-o-rama.

NOD32 is a fantastic antivirus product if you want to pay for one.

Otherwise, Avast, AntiVir...etc work great.

So, there's not an "internet suite" that you'd recommend? Anti-virus and a firewall are a must. I can back up my data on my own fairly regularly.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
So, there's not an "internet suite" that you'd recommend? Anti-virus and a firewall are a must. I can back up my data on my own fairly regularly.

Windows has a built-in "firewall", your best investment in terms of firewall protection is a good router. Software firewalls are a joke.

Internet Security suites are garbage. A good antivirus that will detect malware is a much better solution.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Curious how a company that can't make an OS that is immune from viruses will be able to make anti-virus software....

Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back