Rotella or Delvac or Delo or Tection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local WallyWorld stocks the following 15w-40 HDEO oil:

Rotella
Delvac 1300 Super
Delo 400 LE
Tection Extra

They are all the same price ($11.77), is there one of them that is clearly superior to the others or are they all about the same?
Thanks alot!

My first choice would be Delo and then Delvac. The Delvac is a good oil and is on par with Delo, I'm just partial to Delo for a dino oil as it has always been a great performer.

What are you going to use the oil in and under what conditions? Each of those oils is a bit different and application may or may not have an affect on their performance.

I posted this in another thread I just started, I don't mean to double-post:

Gas engines:
10w-30 in 2001 GMC 6.0 liter
10w-30 in 1995 Chevy 4.3 liter
SAE 30 (with bottle of ZDDPlus) in 1974 Chevy 454ci
SAE 30 in 22hp Briggs V-Twin riding mower
SAE 30 in 6hp Briggs push mower

I'm also using SAE 30 (with bottle of ZDDPlus) in my 2004 diesel tractor.

Thanks

delvac isnt quite on par with delo 400 LE according to the latest tests and quals (accordint to chevron). Delvac is the closest to delo in terms of performance (with rotella lagging behind in third), but delo is far ahead of both in many/most tests.

Delo 400 LE is a high quality oil.

Originally Posted By: 1040 WreckerMan
My first choice would be Delo and then Delvac. The Delvac is a good oil and is on par with Delo, I'm just partial to Delo for a dino oil as it has always been a great performer.

What are you going to use the oil in and under what conditions? Each of those oils is a bit different and application may or may not have an affect on their performance.

To the original poster, as far as a choice between all three of these, if you are unsure, just close your eyes and point...they are all good.

My question is actually regarding 1040Wreckerman's comment about how each oil is different. I know they are all different, but I'm just curious as to how each would perform best in what situation/usage/conditions? What would you use each for?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
delvac isnt quite on par with delo 400 LE according to the latest tests and quals (accordint to chevron). Delvac is the closest to delo in terms of performance (with rotella lagging behind in third), but delo is far ahead of both in many/most tests.

Do you believe that Delo is ahead of the others in regards to the latest tests, or do you feel that Chevron is just blowing their own horn?
I have also been following your comments lately regarding Chevron Delo, and was curious as to where you got your info from...I can't recall specifically, but did you say previously you attended one of their information seminars?

Yes, would be sort of like me attending an Exxon-Mobil conference and then stating their testing puts them ahead of Chevron in almost every test....

If that is the case.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc

To the original poster, as far as a choice between all three of these, if you are unsure, just close your eyes and point...they are all good.

My question is actually regarding 1040Wreckerman's comment about how each oil is different. I know they are all different, but I'm just curious as to how each would perform best in what situation/usage/conditions? What would you use each for?

Well each oil has a bit different base stock and additive package. While they are all good oils they are not the same. I have found is that Delo and Delvac tends to hold up better in HEUI engines than Rotella or Tection (some examples of HEUI engines would be the 7.3/6.0 PowerStroke 3126 CAT,etc.). With 07+ active after-treatment engines that tend to run very high oil temps and significantly increase soot loads Delvac and Delo again out perform the other two choices.

I actually bought a BUNCH of CI-4 Tection on sale and ran it in several of my older big block gas trucks. Since the engines don't place any more heat load on the oil than it would in a diesel the lower quality base oil really isn't a problem. The oil also has plenty of AW/EP additives that an industrial gas engine needs (particularly when the basic technology is 30+ years old). Price on this oil is good and it's a terrific oil for this application. Also worked well in many of our small diesel tractors for similar reasons.

Now, for a 12v 6b or 6c or an L10 the Rotella would probably perform just as well as Tection or Delo since the application is less demanding. An L10 is pretty easy on the oil from a temperature, shear and soot standpoint so any "good" quality oil wil work fine in it.

This is assuming that the engines are in good working order.

Just like a PM program, looking at your particular needs and picking a lube that is best suited to that application makes all the difference in the world IMO.

Originally Posted By: kartracer61
I posted this in another thread I just started, I don't mean to double-post:

Gas engines:
10w-30 in 2001 GMC 6.0 liter
10w-30 in 1995 Chevy 4.3 liter
SAE 30 (with bottle of ZDDPlus) in 1974 Chevy 454ci
SAE 30 in 22hp Briggs V-Twin riding mower
SAE 30 in 6hp Briggs push mower

I'm also using SAE 30 (with bottle of ZDDPlus) in my 2004 diesel tractor.

Thanks

I'd run any one of the diesel oils listed for everything but the 6.0 and 4.3. In those I think I'd run a good quality GPIII or a syn oil in a 5wxx weight. But again, it depends on how you use the vehicles.

For the old big block and the briggs the 15w40 will work great. Out of your list I think Delo and Delvac use a bit better base oil than Tection and Rotella.

Originally Posted By: 1040 WreckerMan
Originally Posted By: D-Roc

Well each oil has a bit different base stock and additive package. While they are all good oils they are not the same. I have found is that Delo and Delvac tends to hold up better in HEUI engines than Rotella or Tection (some examples of HEUI engines would be the 7.3/6.0 PowerStroke 3126 CAT,etc.). With 07+ active after-treatment engines that tend to run very high oil temps and significantly increase soot loads Delvac and Delo again out perform the other two choices.

I actually bought a BUNCH of CI-4 Tection on sale and ran it in several of my older big block gas trucks. Since the engines don't place any more heat load on the oil than it would in a diesel the lower quality base oil really isn't a problem. The oil also has plenty of AW/EP additives that an industrial gas engine needs (particularly when the basic technology is 30+ years old). Price on this oil is good and it's a terrific oil for this application. Also worked well in many of our small diesel tractors for similar reasons.

Now, for a 12v 6b or 6c or an L10 the Rotella would probably perform just as well as Tection or Delo since the application is less demanding. An L10 is pretty easy on the oil from a temperature, shear and soot standpoint so any "good" quality oil wil work fine in it.

This is assuming that the engines are in good working order.

Just like a PM program, looking at your particular needs and picking a lube that is best suited to that application makes all the difference in the world IMO.

Interesting points...I worked at a CAT dealer and one of the problems they always had was the HEUI equipped engines. Funny thing was no one really took the time to consider all the angles as to why they had issues with them...
Good to hear some real world results, helps others out when making informed choices.
thumbsup2.gif

Please do share your/Chevron's data/claims. Which areas of performance does Chevron claim superiority?

I make a qualifying statement, and then a generalization.

First, the only way to truly know how well any lubricant will work with an engine is to do long term UOA studies. For most individuals, they either don't have the patience and money, or they are just not interested to that depth. If you own just one diesel truck or compact tractor, you're investment is high, but your ability to truly do a study that is fair and unbiased is difficult. It's very hard for a single person to play the field of oil contenders without bias due to the costs and time involved in well-constructed blind tests.

Overall, today's lubricants are well designed and manufactured. There is always the occasional example of some extreme where a person experienced either a huge success or gross failure, but the GREAT MASS OF CONSUMERS often see little to no difference in daily operation between brands.

If Delo, Delvac, Rotella, Tection Extra (and I'll throw in Premium Blue) were all on the shelf for the same price, I wouldn't buy any of them. I'd wait until one of them went on sale or had a rebate, and then I'd stock up like the oil-'ho I am, because I have great faith that they all will perform to my high standard with no issues, and I'll get a bargin along the way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilGuy

Please do share your/Chevron's data/claims. Which areas of performance does Chevron claim superiority?

Ill see if I can pull up the technical presentation from the Chevron summit. Effectively Delo 400 LE outperformed delvac, rotella, tection, the 76 HDEO, and one other (sorry I forget the last one) on every major test/certification that was listed on the bottle. Many by a very large extent.

Rotella and delvac flip flopped for second best on the tests.

If I can pull up the presentation Ill post a link, otherwise Ill just try to give a better citation and source. Id think this is something that Chevron would want to show off...

My Dad's '02 7.3 PSD has always run the best on Delo. We tried Rotella T and Valoline Premium Blue for 2 oil changes each, and in both cases fuel mileage dropped .5-1 mpg and (less scientific) the engine just didn't sound as healthy.

7.3s love Delo

Hi,
kartracer61 - From your nominated range of HDEO lubricants I would chose Delvac 1300 Super. It is a quiet "sleeper" and is a high achiever in the Commercial lubrication field. It has been this way for a very long time indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back